Huge Star-Quake Rocks Milky Way

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by onedomino, Feb 18, 2005.

1. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    -

2. KarlMarx

KarlMarx Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +491
    I guess we're more blessed than we realize. Yes, it is a good thing that stars such as this aren't near by. But then perhaps that's why life exists on this planet in the first place. Perhaps this might help to explain why there doesn't seem to be any life out there. Perhaps there are very few "safe zones" where life can exist long enough to reach the point of becoming intelligent, much less advanced enough to contact other civilizations.

So when this star exploded 50,000 years ago... modern man hadn't even appeared yet, humans had not yet reached Europe and the Earth was in the grip of an ice age.... writing and civilization would not appear for another 45,000 years....

3. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    Homo Sapiens, modern man, first emerged about 200,000 years ago: http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/science/02/16/oldest.humans.ap/index.html. Also, http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7020.

You raised an interesting point when you suggested:

This might be true. But we have many "zones" to explore. Of the 100 or so planets discovered outside our solar system (and there are literally trillions awaiting discovery), all seem to be gas giants orbiting quite near the parent star. Beyond "starquakes," another reason that life and intelligence might be rare is that Jupiter-like planets (gas giants) might most often form close to the parent star and thus block the formation of Earth-like planets in the orbits that allow liquid water. It is thought that liquid water is a necessary precursor for the development life. Maybe there are relatively few safe zones.

4. theim

theim Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Maybe there is a species somewhere out there dependent on a gas of some kind instead of water? That would be cool.

I do hope no advanced civilization existed within 10 light years of that thing. It would suck to have the Vulcans already wiped out :(

5. KarlMarx

KarlMarx Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +491
    I stand corrected, perhaps I was thinking that Homo Sapiens did not arrive in Europe until about 35,000 years ago. Up until then, only Neantradahl seems to have been present.

I once read that the formation of Jupiter actually helped life to survive on this planet since it attracts comets, asteroids and other objects that otherwise might collide with our planet and wipe out life.

My thinking about safe zones had more to do with black holes, pulsars and other stellar bodies that emit large bursts of lethal radiation and thus would wipe out any existing life on a planet. My thought is that we are sufficiently distant from that type of object that intelligent life had a chance to form on this planet.

6. sagegirl

sagegirl Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Isnt the universe just full of wonder.......I agree, I thnk we are extremely lucky to be in the safe zone.....a slight misnomer because even a supernova or a similar blast as from this starquake could occur close enough to blast away our atmosphere. We take our existence much too lightly, here we are fighting over god and territory and the like and we have so much to explore and such great opportunities . Such circumstances are probably somewhat rare.

7. KarlMarx

KarlMarx Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +491
    Many people think there is no God and that Man is all powerful. Consider that a small comet has more explosive force than all the nuclear weapons on Earth, or that the Sun, an average star among billions, releases more energy in an hour than Man has used throughout history and you have to wonder.....