Life on Mars?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by no1tovote4, Feb 17, 2005.

1. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
  2. Joz

Joz Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +221
    Sorry, won't happen.

3. MJDuncan1982

MJDuncan1982 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Please call NASA and spread your superior wisdom...save us some money. On a side note...is Falwell going to protest NASA now because the bible says nothing about other life?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    How would you know what the bible says? Frankly, the Bible does not mention nor deny other life.

Also, I wouldn't consider a bunch of microbes poop'n in a pool of water equivalent to life on earth.

5. MJDuncan1982

MJDuncan1982 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Well I think I can reasonably make the assumption that the bible is silent on the issue as it has never been raised by any biblical theologian. It has been around a few thousands years so I'm pretty sure it's been thoroughly combed.

And I don't quite understand your first sentence. You say the exact same thing in your second sentence that I said. I said: the bible says nothing about other life. You said: the bible does not mention or deny other life.

My statement was not negative as to the existence of life in the bible nor positive...you simply extrapolated that fact and restated what I said.

And I wouldn't consider microbes equivalent to our level of complexity but it would make the GIGANTIC leap from zero life to life. That is, in my opinion, the biggest step - evolution is the easy part.

And on edit - why would you assume I couldn't figure out what the bible says...everyone has about 10 copies?

6. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616

There is considerable evidence of the byproducts of life on the planet. They have found many different gasses in the atmosphere of the planet that are byproducts of life. One is Formaldehyde, and others that I cannot remember at this point but will try to find a specific story on the gaseous products of life being found on Mars.

I think you may be wrong Joz. There may truly be life on that planet.

Were I a betting man, I'd bet a cup of cofee that some time in the next 20 years that they will find proof of life on Mars.

7. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    That's great! When will they find intelligence on earth?

8. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296

Perhaps I wasn't clear.... my main point being that the Bible does not DENY life neither. Therefore, it takes no definitive stance. Even if there are "microbes" or some other "form" of life on Mars, that does not mean G-d had no hand in it. The Bible does clearly say that after he made earth, he made the other planets and the stars for our pleasure, navigational purposes, and as a time keeper.

9. Zhukov

Zhukov VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +301

Those 'micro-fossils' are probably both too small and too old to actually be the imprints of long dead organisms.

Not that there isn't life on Mars, there may very well be. I just don't think the often displayed martian meterorite bacteria is evidence of it.

4.5 billion years ago? That's pushing it. The Earth wasn't done forming till about 4.45 billion years ago, and this would have been in the midst of heavy bombardment of the Martian surface from asteroids, which is good for getting rocks to Earth, but not so good for forming life.

Second, the so-called 'bacteria' (which I understand is just an inaccurate but familiar nomenclature) in those pictures are fractions the size of terrestrial bacteria. Your basic bacterium is around 1 - 10 micrometers in width. Those fossils are about half a micrometer in length. That isn't to say it's impossible for an ancient martian life form to be that small, just that I agree with those scientists who consider it unlikely that this is evidence of a martian microrganism.

http://www.student.oulu.fi/~jkorteni/space/mars/history/

http://www.grisda.org/origins/23110.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1_E21_m

10. Joz

Joz Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +221
    I bet that smart-ass attitude was really cool when you were in high school.