Life on Mars?

MJDuncan1982 said:
Please call NASA and spread your superior wisdom...save us some money. On a side note...is Falwell going to protest NASA now because the bible says nothing about other life?

How would you know what the bible says? Frankly, the Bible does not mention nor deny other life.

Also, I wouldn't consider a bunch of microbes poop'n in a pool of water equivalent to life on earth.

freeandfun1 said:
How would you know what the bible says? Frankly, the Bible does not mention nor deny other life.

Also, I wouldn't consider a bunch of microbes poop'n in a pool of water equivalent to life on earth.

Well I think I can reasonably make the assumption that the bible is silent on the issue as it has never been raised by any biblical theologian. It has been around a few thousands years so I'm pretty sure it's been thoroughly combed.

And I don't quite understand your first sentence. You say the exact same thing in your second sentence that I said. I said: the bible says nothing about other life. You said: the bible does not mention or deny other life.

My statement was not negative as to the existence of life in the bible nor positive...you simply extrapolated that fact and restated what I said.

And I wouldn't consider microbes equivalent to our level of complexity but it would make the GIGANTIC leap from zero life to life. That is, in my opinion, the biggest step - evolution is the easy part.

And on edit - why would you assume I couldn't figure out what the bible says...everyone has about 10 copies?

Joz said:
Sorry, won't happen.

There is considerable evidence of the byproducts of life on the planet. They have found many different gasses in the atmosphere of the planet that are byproducts of life. One is Formaldehyde, and others that I cannot remember at this point but will try to find a specific story on the gaseous products of life being found on Mars.

I think you may be wrong Joz. There may truly be life on that planet.

Were I a betting man, I'd bet a cup of cofee that some time in the next 20 years that they will find proof of life on Mars.

no1tovote4 said:
There is considerable evidence of the byproducts of life on the planet. They have found many different gasses in the atmosphere of the planet that are byproducts of life. One is Formaldehyde, and others that I cannot remember at this point but will try to find a specific story on the gaseous products of life being found on Mars.

I think you may be wrong Joz. There may truly be life on that planet.

Were I a betting man, I'd bet a cup of cofee that some time in the next 20 years that they will find proof of life on Mars.
That's great! When will they find intelligence on earth?

MJDuncan1982 said:
Well I think I can reasonably make the assumption that the bible is silent on the issue as it has never been raised by any biblical theologian. It has been around a few thousands years so I'm pretty sure it's been thoroughly combed.

And I don't quite understand your first sentence. You say the exact same thing in your second sentence that I said. I said: the bible says nothing about other life. You said: the bible does not mention or deny other life.

My statement was not negative as to the existence of life in the bible nor positive...you simply extrapolated that fact and restated what I said.

And I wouldn't consider microbes equivalent to our level of complexity but it would make the GIGANTIC leap from zero life to life. That is, in my opinion, the biggest step - evolution is the easy part.

And on edit - why would you assume I couldn't figure out what the bible says...everyone has about 10 copies?

Perhaps I wasn't clear.... my main point being that the Bible does not DENY life neither. Therefore, it takes no definitive stance. Even if there are "microbes" or some other "form" of life on Mars, that does not mean G-d had no hand in it. The Bible does clearly say that after he made earth, he made the other planets and the stars for our pleasure, navigational purposes, and as a time keeper.

no1tovote4 said:
http://www.marsnews.com/focus/life/

http://mars.spherix.com/

A couple websites dealing with the scientific evidence of life on Mars.

It seems very possible that we may find life there...

Those 'micro-fossils' are probably both too small and too old to actually be the imprints of long dead organisms.

Not that there isn't life on Mars, there may very well be. I just don't think the often displayed martian meterorite bacteria is evidence of it.

4.5 billion years ago? That's pushing it. The Earth wasn't done forming till about 4.45 billion years ago, and this would have been in the midst of heavy bombardment of the Martian surface from asteroids, which is good for getting rocks to Earth, but not so good for forming life.

Second, the so-called 'bacteria' (which I understand is just an inaccurate but familiar nomenclature) in those pictures are fractions the size of terrestrial bacteria. Your basic bacterium is around 1 - 10 micrometers in width. Those fossils are about half a micrometer in length. That isn't to say it's impossible for an ancient martian life form to be that small, just that I agree with those scientists who consider it unlikely that this is evidence of a martian microrganism.

http://www.student.oulu.fi/~jkorteni/space/mars/history/

http://www.grisda.org/origins/23110.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1_E21_m

MJDuncan1982 said:
Please call NASA and spread your superior wisdom...save us some money.
I bet that smart-ass attitude was really cool when you were in high school.

no1tovote4 said:
There is considerable evidence of the byproducts of life on the planet......I think you may be wrong Joz. There may truly be life on that planet......Were I a betting man, I'd bet a cup of cofee that some time in the next 20 years that they will find proof of life on Mars.

Well, No1, if you aren't a Bible believer, then any explanation, that I give, will not suffice. But here's one anyway.

"And the earth was without form & void".... Meaning that it could have hung is space for billions of years; until it was ready to be used. I think that's why they find evidence dating that far back. But from the beginning of Genesis to current day, the earth has been in existence about 6,000 years.

As far as life as we know it? I'm sure there is life on other planets, other galaxies, other solar systems. But we will never be able to have contact with them. We doomed this planet when we allowed sin to enter. Christ died to redeem those who choose to be. There is no way He can allow us to contaminate any other planet or life form. Search all you want. It won't happen.

Joz said:
Well, No1, if you aren't a Bible believer, then any explanation, that I give, will not suffice. But here's one anyway.

"And the earth was without form & void".... Meaning that it could have hung is space for billions of years; until it was ready to be used. I think that's why they find evidence dating that far back. But from the beginning of Genesis to current day, the earth has been in existence about 6,000 years.

As far as life as we know it? I'm sure there is life on other planets, other galaxies, other solar systems. But we will never be able to have contact with them. We doomed this planet when we allowed sin to enter. Christ died to redeem those who choose to be. There is no way He can allow us to contaminate any other planet or life form. Search all you want. It won't happen.

I fail to understand how my belief that there may be life on Mars would threaten or did threaten your belief in Christ.

I pointed out that there is considerable chemical evidence of life from the probes that are currently there, not that the life was intelligent or a threat to anybody's belief.

The earth may very well be 6,000 to 12,000 years old. It wouldn't harm me one bit if it was, but it would be fascinating to study life on Mars.

While I am not a Bible believer, I truly am not attempting to disprove your faith through this fascinating line of science. I think that life on Mars would be compatible with Christian beliefs as it would be with mine. (Buddhist if you would like to know.)

I believe that science is the way that we discover how God did it, not a way to disprove God at all.

no1tovote4 said:
Nor would I want it to.

This is one area where I don't understand the fear people have. There are many that believe the rapture might be blaimed on "aliens" as a way to explain it away. If they claim it was aliens, would they not need to be setting the stage now? Building the foundation for their future claims?

Just one way to look at it while maintaing your faith.

no1tovote4 said:
I fail to understand how my belief that there may be life on Mars would threaten or did threaten your belief in Christ.....
I pointed out that there is considerable chemical evidence of life from the probes that are currently there, not that the life was intelligent or a threat to anybody's belief.
So, all we're talking about is matter existing on Mars? I fail to see the argument, then.
I believe that science is the way that we discover how God did it....
"And God said".......

freeandfun1 said:
This is one area where I don't understand the fear people have. There are many that believe the rapture might be blaimed on "aliens" as a way to explain it away. ....
Do you believe in 'the rapture'? If so, why? I don't think that's quite the case; there isn't one.

Joz said:
Do you believe in 'the rapture'? If so, why? I don't think that's quite the case; there isn't one.

You have your view and I have mine. I won't debate this here.

Forum List

Back