HUD Wants to Make Living in a Tiny House or RV Illegal

Obiwan

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2015
Indiana
More government control, while they steal us blind...

HUD Wants to Make Living in a Tiny House or RV Illegal

The tiny house movement has taken America by storm, in part because our economy is in the toilet. People are striving to reduce theirexpenses by embracing minimalism. They’re breaking free from the corporate grind because, as I’ve always advised, they are learning to live with less and radically reducing their expenses.

But, these days in America, you are sharply admonished when you try to live your life outside of the strictures of the 9-5 world. Is it any surprise that the government is now takingsteps to limit our ability to drastically reduce our expenses? They always seem to make illegal anything we try to do to be more independentand moving into a tiny house appears to be the next on their list.

HUD has proposed the following law:

This proposed rule would modify the current exemption for recreational vehicles in the Manufactured HomeProcedural and Enforcement Regulations. Under the current exemption, questions have arisen regarding whether park modelrecreational vehicles are regulated by HUD’s manufactured home program. These park models are being produced with patio roofs, screened in porches, and other extensions that exceed the 400 square foot maximum exemption in the current regulations. Additionally, some of these models are being marketed as suitable for year round living. HUD’s proposed rule would permit recreational vehicle manufactures to certify that a unit is exempted from HUD’s regulations. Specifically, HUD’s proposed rule would define a recreational vehicle as a factory build vehicular structure, not certified as a manufactured home, designed only for recreational use and not as a primary residence or for permanent occupancy, and built and certified in accordance with either the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1192-2015, Standard for Recreational Vehicles, or the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) A119.5-15, Recreational Park Trailer Standard. In addition, to provide consumers notice regarding the manufacturing standards used to construct the unit, HUD’s rule would require that units claiming the exemption display a notice that identifies the standards used to construct the unit and states that the unit is designed only for recreational use, and not as a primary residence or permanent dwelling.

That’s right – if this law is passed, living full time in a tiny house or an RV may become illegal in April of this year.

There are housing codes no matter where you are and they aren't all written by HUD.

Children's Services has a say on everything involving child safety, the state has regulations involving expected natural disasters, and so on.

HUD subsidizes purchases of low-cost homes and they have strict guidelines to protect consumers from inferior housing.

Some RVs and small houses are so poorly built that the customer would be safer in a pup tent.

There are housing codes no matter where you are and they aren't all written by HUD.

Children's Services has a say on everything involving child safety, the state has regulations involving expected natural disasters, and so on.

HUD subsidizes purchases of low-cost homes and they have strict guidelines to protect consumers from inferior housing.

Some RVs and small houses are so poorly built that the customer would be safer in a pup tent.
Pardon my French, Grandma, but if a person buys a bit of land, they should be able to live like a mongol on it if they bloody well want to.

Pardon my French, Grandma, but if a person buys a bit of land, they should be able to live like a mongol on it if they bloody well want to.

I would agree as long as they don't reduce the value of my property next door.

If someone wants to live in an RV or a 5th Wheel then they should be able to do it.

This is more BS from the Cradle to grave bunch of losers..............

Many RV's and campers are jam the hell up..........Costing as much as a house..........I've lived in them while on the road working construction and prefer them to staying at a hotel............

The Gov't needs to :anj_stfu:

Fuck the value of your property Lumpy.

a king (or queen) has a right o his bloody castle.

If you have issues with your neighbours, then get your sons to vote
for the shooter party. Thats all I can do inmy country.

Blast! ( excuse me dear) but I hate control.

Please excuse me.

Please excuse me.

Well, flip the coin...

I used to own a piece of land along the Russian river in California. I didn't mind that others would camp out and spend the night, clean up and leave. Over time it was people living there, junk cars, cutting down trees, basically trashing the place. If people have respect for others no problem but alas many people are just plain old disrespectful pigs that ruin a good thing for others. Obviously, this ended up in expensive fencing, private property signs and police.

Please excuse me.

Well, flip the coin...

I used to own a piece of land along the Russian river in California. I didn't mind that others would camp out and spend the night, clean up and leave. Over time it was people living there, junk cars, cutting down trees, basically trashing the place. If people have respect for others no problem but alas many people are just plain old disrespectful pigs that ruin a good thing for others. Obviously, this ended up in expensive fencing, private property signs and police.
That's a little different than someone owning land adjacent to yours and living in their camper

Please excuse me.

Well, flip the coin...

That's a little different than someone owning land adjacent to yours and living in their camper

I agree but who wants to live next to a dump, that's my point.

Please excuse me.

Well, flip the coin...

Why do you assume someone who wants to live in a tiny house will let their property become a dump?

I like the whole tiny house movement
If I was younger it would be something I would seriously consider

Please excuse me.

Well, flip the coin...

Why do you assume someone who wants to live in a tiny house will let their property become a dump?

Just bringing up a different perspective. I have no problem with campers, tiny homes, mobile homes, tents, etc. .. but if you think land ownership doesn't come with obligations to others in the area then there's an inevitable problem.

Please excuse me.

Well, flip the coin...

I understand. I can only imagine. Yes I agree, the rule of law can help us little people.

im sorry grandma.

Please excuse me.

Well, flip the coin...

I understand. I can only imagine. Yes I agree, the rule of law can help us little people.

im sorry grandma.

I'd love to have a tiny home someplace to visit and I agree government is way to overbearing and out of control. Living in California for decades certainly made that obvious. Anywhere there's a small or big pile of money, government feels they own you and deserve a cut.

dear, I'm powerless, but if the Australian shooters party would allow, I'd chop your neighbors up witha machete.

dear, I'm powerless, but if the Australian shooters party would allow, I'd chop your neighbors up witha machete.

Huh, a down under Dude .. I lived in Auckland then Hamilton, North Island N.Z. for a time as a young pup. Ah mate.

Last edited:

I doubt it. You can't build legally without permits, all that is controlled at the local level, inspectors sign off on each step. RVs not only have to pass with flying colors but they want to sell the things as well.

This is just more government looking to do what it does best, create yet another way to justify itself by fucking around with our lives.

Yeah, but what if they want a tiny house that will hold up as well as a regular house? Nobody wants to buy a lemon.

Oh - Iceweasel - you do know that mobile homes and most modular homes are guaranteed to DE-preciate over time?

Forum List

Back