Huckabee's tax plan appeals, but is it fair?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Gunny, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    So when all the smoke and mirrors are removed, it's just another tax plan that screws the middle class. What a deal. We ALREADY have that.

2. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,298
    He was asked wouldn't that just create an enormous Black Market? I think the question confused him, but I kinda like him for his charm and straight talk even though I mostly disagree.

3. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,369
    The only REAL fair tax is NO tax. All we need to do is cut the IRS, and scale back spending to levels 10 years ago. Even THEN, the spending was still too high, but our economy could still have been sustained even without the extra 1 trillion in income tax revenue.

That, plus stop the inflation problem which is just adding another tax, and this country will be on it's way back to economic prosperity.

We can either do that, or wage never ending wars world wide so we FEEL like we are more safe, until we're finally bankrupt.

Here's a good question, though...Let's say the federal income tax was abolished...would you still give a percentage of your income willingly, to help fund the wars that make you feel more secure?

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    agreed.

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=YjEzZWI5ZGEwY2FiZGIxMzFiYTRkNGY5ZDVkNmU0NTk=

5. watermark

watermark Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7
    OK.

Tell me. What are you going to cut to take a trillion dollars off the budget.

6. indago

indago VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +180
    I posted this on another WebSite a couple of years ago:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    It says, at the Fair Tax Website: "The current Federal income tax system is broken."

It's not broken. Most folks don't really know what the federal "income tax" is. It has been declared, by the Supreme Court of the United States, that the federal income tax is an excise tax. Mr. Justice William R. Day, delivering the opinion of the United States Supreme Court, explained what an excise tax is: "Excises are "taxes laid upon the manufacture, sale, or consumption of commodities within the country, upon licenses to pursue certain occupations, and upon corporate privileges." Cooley, Const. Lim. 7th ed. 680 ...the requirement to pay such taxes involves the exercise of privileges,..." — Stella P. Flint v Stone Tracy Company 220 US 107, 151, 152 (1911)

Chief Justice Edward D. White, delivering the opinion of the Supreme Court of the United States, and quoting from a previous case, stated: "In the matter of taxation, the Constitution recognizes the two great classes of direct and indirect taxes, and lays down two rules by which their imposition must be governed, namely: The rule of apportionment as to direct taxes, and the rule of uniformity as to duties, imposts and excises." — Pollock v Farmers' Loan & Trust Company 157 US 429, 557 (1895) Brushaber v Union Pacific Railroad Co. 240 US 1, 13 (1916)

The Congress was never granted the power to lay a direct tax upon the inhabitants of the States. If the inhabitants of the States realized the Constitutional system of taxation, and forced the government to follow it, government would have to go to the States to get the money for their projects under the direct tax system. And this is the way it should be, since it was the States that created the federal government in the first place. Also, the States granted government the power to tax imported goods. Since the free trade agreements, this revenue has been reduced considerably, and the burden is placed upon the inhabitants of the States.

So, you see, it's not the federal "income tax" that is broken, it is the people who are broken.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

7. indago

indago VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +180
    "When you think about returning this country to the Constitution, we have drifted from the Constitution in the past 100 years. The Congress ignores it, the courts ignore it, the executive branch ignores it. But there's a large number of dedicated Americans who believe that America was a great country when we obeyed the Constitution, that liberty was more important than largess and special-interest government.

This is a major undertaking, to take on the military industrial complex, the medical industrial complex and all the special interests by individuals sending in money. So I think we've done a tremendous job, but we also know what we're doing.

We're not tinkering with the system. We aren't talking about mismanaging the war in Iraq. We're talking about the change in foreign policy that was established by Woodrow Wilson, our pretense that we're able to make the world safe for democracy and forever spend ourselves into oblivion.

I mean, this is a major undertaking, but the revolution toward this goal has actually begun. And how far we go in the campaign, we don't know. But I'll tell you what, the American people, and there's this large segment sending in the money to our campaign that are determined that this revolutionary spirit will continue." — Congressman Ron Paul — CNN — LATE EDITION — 6 January 2008

8. BaronVonBigmeat

BaronVonBigmeat Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +160
    I think this would lead to an economy dominated by corporate behemoths, and tiny black-market businesses (think: people on craigslist selling out of their homes). The black market part is obvious, but the trend towards corporate giganticism is less so.

Let's say you are a manufacturer of widgets. You get your springs from china, your forgings from russia, your gaskets from Indonesia. Currently, you may not be able to compete with the corporate behemoths on price, but you are a nimble company able to outmanuver them on quality, flexibile custom designs for niche applications, customer service, and so forth.

Under this plan though, you would pay 25% sales tax on each of these transactions. The corporate behemoth you compete against manufactures everything in-house: springs, forgings, and gaskets. The tax they pay is zero.

So basically, there would be a tidal wave of consolidations as companies try to dodge the sales tax. Then the tax would go up to compensate, leading to still more consolidations, and a handfull of fat lazy uncompetitive conglomerates dominating the economy. I really really don't like an income tax, particularly as it exists currently, but it doesn't distort the economy the way this would.

Well, as he said, go back to where we were just 10 years ago, which was already bloated. You could concentrate on some areas more than others of course. Personally, I would axe the depts. of commerce, energy, education, housing, homeland security, and of course the war and the overseas american empire.

9. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    b-b-b-but the fair tax people LOVE Huck now!

10. M14 Shooter

M14 Shooter The Light of Truth

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    Entitlement spending.