How would you prepare civilization for climate charge?

Climate Change Preparation List
- one pair of galoshes
- one umbrella
- one warm sweater
- one bottle of sun screen

Not really all that expensive when you think about it.

Would you agree that some of these cities along rivers that keep getting flooded probably should be better protected?

How many times does an area have to be flooded, or burned, or rattled in earthquakes before the people who live there figure out that it isn't necessarily a good place to live? Demand that people who want to live in such areas self insure so the rest of us don't have to keep paying for their stupidity.

You know I actually agree with that POV except that there are very few places on earth that are not subject to some kind of natural disaster.

But obviously in those places where the possibility is clear and present danger (like homes built on sand bars) I'm totally with you.

However, even in the areas that are prone to certain types of disasters, one can specify building codes with those disasters in mind. Of course, that involved government regulations, an anthema to 'Conservatives' even when those regulations save lives.

Climate Change Preparation List
- one pair of galoshes
- one umbrella
- one warm sweater
- one bottle of sun screen

Not really all that expensive when you think about it.

Obviously a no brainer, and just as obviously, the level of your intellect.

How many times does an area have to be flooded, or burned, or rattled in earthquakes before the people who live there figure out that it isn't necessarily a good place to live? Demand that people who want to live in such areas self insure so the rest of us don't have to keep paying for their stupidity.

You know I actually agree with that POV except that there are very few places on earth that are not subject to some kind of natural disaster.

But obviously in those places where the possibility is clear and present danger (like homes built on sand bars) I'm totally with you.

However, even in the areas that are prone to certain types of disasters, one can specify building codes with those disasters in mind. Of course, that involved government regulations, an anthema to 'Conservatives' even when those regulations save lives.

Are you familiar with Wilshire Blvd in LA? Recently discovered active fault lines go right down the middle of Dwtn LA.. Calif code prohibits building within (get this) 50FEET of an active fault zone.. Tell me how pragmatic or enforceable that building code is.. How many lives in DWNTN LA are at stake?

Building codes are used as clubs to force neighborhood conformance.. AND to protect builders from lawsuits. They DO NOT ever represent the best practices that the industry COULD perform..

Are you familiar with Wilshire Blvd in LA? Recently discovered active fault lines go right down the middle of Dwtn LA.. Calif code prohibits building within (get this) 50FEET of an active fault zone.. Tell me how pragmatic or enforceable that building code is.. How many lives in DWNTN LA are at stake?

Building codes are used as clubs to force neighborhood conformance.. AND to protect builders from lawsuits. They DO NOT ever represent the best practices that the industry COULD perform..

Building codes apply to buildings being built. Those already built are exempted.

50' is reasonable. Anything built on a fault that move will be ripped in half when it moves. And there is a good deal of crumbling at the edges of the fault. After the fault moves and the existing building are destroyed, then the building code is enforced, and that is a wide street, or narrow park.

Forum List

Back