How/Why Did You Choose Your Username?

Cecilie is the name I use in the SCA, and also most often in regular life when my legal name isn't required. Most of my friends know me as Cecilie. The 1200 reflects the time period I chose for my SCA persona.

My first user name was- onthefence. This was meant to accentuate my moderate politics.

My screen name now are the colors for the University of Alabama. My alma mater. It is also the name of the student newspaper and was the name our sports teams before the evolution of Crimson Tide. Roll Tide.

Mine was Superstar ... go figure ...:lol:

Great.. Now all I can picture is the geek girl from that movie "Superstar" that goes around kissing trees, sticking here fingers in her armpits, and smelling it, throwing herself into different poses and saying "I'm a superstar!" :eek:

Cecilie is the name I use in the SCA, and also most often in regular life when my legal name isn't required. Most of my friends know me as Cecilie. The 1200 reflects the time period I chose for my SCA persona.

What is 'SCA'?

Society for Creative Anachronism, the world's largest medieval recreation group. One of the things members do is choose a persona from the Middle Ages, with a period-appropriate name. Mine is a 13th century Dutch woman named Cecilie.

As most people in the SCA are unlikely to even know your mundane - aka legal - name, much less call you by it, it is strongly advised to choose a name that either sounds similar to your mundane name, or that you are sure you will answer to. A local duchess tells the story of her first SCA name, which she chose when she was a teenager, although her own name was period and would have been acceptable. She was sitting around a campfire at an event, chatting with friends and wearing a gown with flowing angels-wing sleeves. She heard people yelling, "Angelica! Angelica, you're on fire!" and kept wondering who this stupid girl was who was on fire and didn't realize it. Finally, a young man she had been flirting with earlier leapt over the campfire and knocked her to the ground, frantically smothering the flame that had ignited when a burning cinder landed on the end of her flowing sleeve. Angelica was the name she had chosen, and then forgotten. Whoops.

Anyway, Cecilie sounds similar enough to my given name that I would answer to it if I was on fire. ;)

Some folk's user names are obvious - Amanda, jillian, Gunny; others -- not so much. For example, roomy -- did you choose that as your user name because you like your shorts (underwear) 'roomy'?

I'll +rep anyone who guesses how I came about mine.

from the knights who say "ni" but then say "Ekky-ekky-ekky-ekky-z'Bang zoom-Boing z'nourrrwringmm"?

*edit* damn... was lurking and didn't realize i was beaten to the punch.

it's all good. lol...

I chose it because I first used the sanskrit version of the term(dakini). I've never used the Tibetan word for sky dancer (khadro).

It means to move freely through the spaciousness of awareness without obstacle. A kind of ultimate ideal or direction to aspire to in life.

"Agnapostate" is a portmanteau of "agnostic" and "apostate," though it's more accurate to call me an atheist than an agnostic. Technically speaking, I suppose I'm an agnostic atheist a la Bertrand Russell. The apostate element comes in because I used to be a Christian Reconstructionist who supported the re-establishment of Old Testament law and the use of military force to bring about Christendom...effectively making Fred Phelps look like Richard Dawkins. It also seemed appropriate because I share the name of one of the most famous Christian apostates in history.

Share yours.

"Agnapostate" is a portmanteau of "agnostic" and "apostate," though it's more accurate to call me an atheist than an agnostic. Technically speaking, I suppose I'm an agnostic atheist a la Bertrand Russell. The apostate element comes in because I used to be a Christian Reconstructionist who supported the re-establishment of Old Testament law and the use of military force to bring about Christendom...effectively making Fred Phelps look like Richard Dawkins. It also seemed appropriate because I share the name of one of the most famous Christian apostates in history.

Share yours.

Some of my friends call me "Huggy".
I invented the huggable doll company. Don't bother looking it up I liscensed the company to another company.

editec = editing/education techical

Also its similar to edison, and easy to type.

Neser Boha are two Czech words that mean: Neser - Don't piss off/fuck with/make mad and Boha (Buh) - God. :eusa_pray:

It is a Czech slang expression that I'm very fond of using while in informal setting among friends. It is implied, jokingly, that the one saying it is the god... That said, I do not have anything against any religion, as long as it is not imposed on me - in any way - especially in the form of laws. :eusa_hand:

That was taken from my introduction... :)

I am a YUKON man...a titled that must be earned through various tests of endurance in Canada's north..there are not many of us but those that are titled YUKON are indeed special people.

Forum List

Back