How well prepared are you for an EMP attack?

Yarddog

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2014
A nuclear device detonated miles above the country would knock out land lines, cell phones, controls that monitor our infrastructure such as fresh water and sewage. There would be no power, no security, no communications and the effects of this would be amplified for people living in the major cities such as New York and Los Angeles.
Consider that there would be no fresh water, no food trucked into your grocery stores which are only minimally stocked as it is. Within just a few days, the threat of cholera would begin as well as other water born illnesses.
You would only have a few days to get out of the city before law and order completely broke down, people looking to steal whatever they could to survive.
It's a little thing that government officials never talk about, though you all know... Senators and Congress folks have a safe bunker waiting for them and their families. How well prepared are we in this type of event? probably not good enough! just food for thought.

US would be crippled by an EMP attack, which we pioneered nearly 60 years ago

Very prepared...

1A1BD6A7000005DC-0-image-a-12_1418848621767.jpg

It would have to be higher than a mile.

I am very prepared. Have been for over 35 years.

I don't think I am at all, but have been thinking lately its a good idea to have some sort of disaster plan in place.

for every person who was prepared there would probably be a thousand who are not. I could see potential conflict there with a lot of deaths. I think the best plan would be to get away from population centers as quickly as possible.
But then again most people may not even recognize what happened for a few days if they ever figured it out at all, if there was no communication. Most people would just find themselves dumbfounded and without a clue when everything stopped working.

Well, living on oxygen isn't fun...

Living without it would be far less fun.

I'd probably be dead in 10 days to 2 weeks, no matter how prepared I was otherwise.

for every person who was prepared there would probably be a thousand who are not. I could see potential conflict there with a lot of deaths. I think the best plan would be to get away from population centers as quickly as possible.
But then again most people may not even recognize what happened for a few days if they ever figured it out at all, if there was no communication. Most people would just find themselves dumbfounded and without a clue when everything stopped working.

"for every person who was prepared there would probably be a thousand who are not"

I think your math is WAYYYYYYYY off.......

for every 1 person prepared there would probably be 50,000 who are not.

NYC has almost 9 million people and i'll bet you couldn't find 100 new yorkers actually prepared for that kind of event.

I don't know even 1 person who is really prepared.

Oh more like 10,000 not prepared. If the grid ever collapses it is going to be quite interesting to see who eventually survives it.

"for every person who was prepared there would probably be a thousand who are not"

I think your math is WAYYYYYYYY off.......

for every 1 person prepared there would probably be 50,000 who are not.

NYC has almost 9 million people and i'll bet you couldn't find 100 new yorkers actually prepared for that kind of event.

I don't know even 1 person who is really prepared.

You would be surprised. I know of about 75 people within Manhattan who are quite well prepared.

Well, living on oxygen isn't fun...

Living without it would be far less fun.

I'd probably be dead in 10 days to 2 weeks, no matter how prepared I was otherwise.

Well, that sucks. Do you live in a big city?

A nuclear device detonated miles above the country would knock out land lines, cell phones, controls that monitor our infrastructure such as fresh water and sewage. There would be no power, no security, no communications and the effects of this would be amplified for people living in the major cities such as New York and Los Angeles.
Consider that there would be no fresh water, no food trucked into your grocery stores which are only minimally stocked as it is. Within just a few days, the threat of cholera would begin as well as other water born illnesses.
You would only have a few days to get out of the city before law and order completely broke down, people looking to steal whatever they could to survive.
It's a little thing that government officials never talk about, though you all know... Senators and Congress folks have a safe bunker waiting for them and their families. How well prepared are we in this type of event? probably not good enough! just food for thought.

that would be a bad spicy time...an emp attack would turn real nasty real fast
some believe at least 75% or more of the population would die

a lot of suburban and urbanites
if you havent pre bugged out ...bugging out immediately may be more dangerous then hanging back in place

ammo and a way to purify water is your friend
suburbanites look at your beautiful pool ...call it an emergency reservoir

1 pool rules.jpg

bz-5cf1215f651b2.gif

this may give some ideas who haven't put any thoughts into a what if

Saturday, May 11, 2019
An interesting look at urban defense

I'm not one to fantasize about civil war, or armed rebellion, or whatever. I've seen them in real life, in more than one African nation, and they're the very last thing I want to see in these United States! I think most people who've experienced them will say the same. Nevertheless, some worry that we may see some sort of major civil unrest in our cities. With Antifa, Black Lives Matter, urban gangs, and other elements in the news, that's certainly not impossible. If it looks likely, my preferred response will be to get the hell out of the way before things happen . . . but that may not be feasible.

In that case, in a series of articles, Clay Martin offers his thoughts on defensive measures for city dwellers: preparing one's property, choice of defensive weapons, and other issues. I don't agree with everything he proposes, but on the whole his ideas appear sound. His experience was in Iraq, whereas mine was in Africa, but urban conflict isn't all that different anywhere around the globe. His articles are, in chronological order:

Bayou Renaissance Man: An interesting look at urban defense

Attachments

• 30jq0m.jpg
    30jq0m.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 51-zpuxzw0l-_ac_sl1500_.jpg
    51-zpuxzw0l-_ac_sl1500_.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 97

if you havent pre bugged out ...bugging out immediately may be more dangerous then hanging back in place

View attachment 263350

bz-5cf1215f651b2.gif

Saturday, May 11, 2019

I'm not one to fantasize about civil war, or armed rebellion, or whatever. I've seen them in real life, in more than one African nation, and they're the very last thing I want to see in these United States! I think most people who've experienced them will say the same. Nevertheless, some worry that we may see some sort of major civil unrest in our cities. With Antifa, Black Lives Matter, urban gangs, and other elements in the news, that's certainly not impossible. If it looks likely, my preferred response will be to get the hell out of the way before things happen . . . but that may not be feasible.

In that case, in a series of articles, Clay Martin offers his thoughts on defensive measures for city dwellers: preparing one's property, choice of defensive weapons, and other issues. I don't agree with everything he proposes, but on the whole his ideas appear sound. His experience was in Iraq, whereas mine was in Africa, but urban conflict isn't all that different anywhere around the globe. His articles are, in chronological order:

Also wouldnt hurt to have a certain amount of freeze dried foods and maybe beans around, at least what would last for about a month.

A couple of decades ago or so there was talk about this subject also. At the time it was stated that it would cost about 4 billion dollars to harden the electrical grid to an EMP attack. And from what they said, it would protect much more to a solar flare event also. Now it may fry the equipment and devices we use. But if the electrical grid is still up, then we can begin to rebuild equipment needed to recover and keep the grisly outcome reduced.

View attachment 263350

bz-5cf1215f651b2.gif

Saturday, May 11, 2019

Also wouldnt hurt to have a certain amount of freeze dried foods and maybe beans around, at least what would last for about a month.

absolutely

Forum List

Back