How to manage your colonies

Wales was an independent country for many centuries. Now there is a Prince of Wales descended from the Hanover House in Germany and under the British Royal thumb.

Wales independent? When??

Greg
Wales had to be conquered by one of the ancient Kings of England but forget which King. Edward comes to mind but I know little if nothing about English History except that William the Great defeated King Harold in 1066 and Haley's comet appeared in that year. My kingdom for a horse.

When Kings were kings. And men were men.

Wales was an independent country for many centuries. Now there is a Prince of Wales descended from the Hanover House in Germany and under the British Royal thumb.

Greg
Wales had to be conquered by one of the ancient Kings of England but forget which King. Edward comes to mind but I know little if nothing about English History except that William the Great defeated King Harold in 1066 and Haley's comet appeared in that year. My kingdom for a horse.

When Kings were kings. And men were men.

Back in the days when they had wood boats and steel men.

Greg

Thank you. From my own reading I recall that Wales may never have been a Nation as such but a series of small kingdoms of fragile existence. But you have my attention; I haven't read much on Wales for many a year. I've been there a few times and loved it. i might even like Wrexham except that a very stodgy little pommy dumpling resides there...and he is a total creep!!!

So any other Wrexies; you're cool, dudes!!

Greg

Greg

Thank you. From my own reading I recall that Wales may never have been a Nation as such but a series of small kingdoms of fragile existence. But you have my attention; I haven't read much on Wales for many a year. I've been there a few times and loved it. i might even like Wrexham except that a very stodgy little pommy dumpling resides there...and he is a total creep!!!

Greg

Blame the Germans. The Saxon invasion pushed the Celts into the hills.

Up Boadicea.

Greg

Greg

Is the Isle of Avalon just off the northwest part of Wales where Camelot was?

Greg

I found this:

King of Wales was a very rarely used title, because Wales never achieved the degree of political unity that England or Scotland did during the middle ages. While many leaders in Wales called themselves king, the country was only truly united under the rule of one man from 1055–1063....

From the smaller kingdoms of Wales eventually emerged four major powers: Powys, Gwynedd, Dyfed/Deheubarth and Morgannwg. With Wales now developing into a more consolidated entity, it ultimately set the stage for Gruffudd ap Llywelyn in the mid-11th century. Alliances with Anglo-Saxon dynasties and Vikings helped him unite the country, and even conquer land belonging to the English. "In 1055 he absorbed Deheubarth as well, thus becoming in effect King of Wales".[2] John Davies states that Gruffydd was "the only Welsh king ever to rule over the entire territory of Wales... Thus, from about 1057 until his death in 1063, the whole of Wales recognised the kingship of Gruffudd ap Llywelyn. For about seven brief years, Wales was one, under one ruler, a feat with neither precedent nor successor."[3] After his betrayal and death at the hands of his own men, Wales fell into civil war from other leaders seeking to fill the void of power and become king.

Gruffydd ap Llywelyn was, however, not referred to as King of Wales at the time, but rather as "King of the Britons". He was the last of a long line of paramount rulers among the insular Britons to have this title bestowed upon him, and possibly the only one to truly rule over all the (independent) Britons. For by this time, if not earlier, Wales was the only part of Britain remaining under Brittonic rule.[3]

So it was ever an disunited series of entities barring a brief but bright interlude.

Greg

Greg

I found this:

King of Wales was a very rarely used title, because Wales never achieved the degree of political unity that England or Scotland did during the middle ages. While many leaders in Wales called themselves king, the country was only truly united under the rule of one man from 1055–1063....

From the smaller kingdoms of Wales eventually emerged four major powers: Powys, Gwynedd, Dyfed/Deheubarth and Morgannwg. With Wales now developing into a more consolidated entity, it ultimately set the stage for Gruffudd ap Llywelyn in the mid-11th century. Alliances with Anglo-Saxon dynasties and Vikings helped him unite the country, and even conquer land belonging to the English. "In 1055 he absorbed Deheubarth as well, thus becoming in effect King of Wales".[2] John Davies states that Gruffydd was "the only Welsh king ever to rule over the entire territory of Wales... Thus, from about 1057 until his death in 1063, the whole of Wales recognised the kingship of Gruffudd ap Llywelyn. For about seven brief years, Wales was one, under one ruler, a feat with neither precedent nor successor."[3] After his betrayal and death at the hands of his own men, Wales fell into civil war from other leaders seeking to fill the void of power and become king.

Gruffydd ap Llywelyn was, however, not referred to as King of Wales at the time, but rather as "King of the Britons". He was the last of a long line of paramount rulers among the insular Britons to have this title bestowed upon him, and possibly the only one to truly rule over all the (independent) Britons. For by this time, if not earlier, Wales was the only part of Britain remaining under Brittonic rule.[3]

So it was ever an disunited series of entities barring a brief but bright interlude.

Greg

Does King Authur count?

Greg

Greg

Is the Isle of Avalon just off the northwest part of Wales where Camelot was?

A possible location of Avalon consistent with the theory of a northern Arthur, is the Roman fort of Aballava. Aballava, also called Avallana, was at the western end of Hadrian's Wall near the modern settlement of Burgh-by-Sands, Cumbria.
wiki

upload_2016-7-17_20-57-35.jpeg

Not far from Carlisle.....probably silted up and no longer an Isle. Interesting book is "Mists of Avalon" by Marion Bradley. Top read; well I liked it anyway.

Greg

Greg

I found this:

Greg

Does King Authur count?

Nope. He ruled Camelot...mythical character though a thread of reality; Monty Python did an excellent documentary on his life and times.

Greg.

Greg

I found this:

Greg

Does King Authur count?

In the realms of myth.

Greg

I found this:

Greg

Does King Authur count?

Nope. He ruled Camelot...mythical character though a thread of reality; Monty Python did an excellent documentary on his life and times.

Greg.

Was that down in Cornwall?

Another separatist region.

Greg

I found this:

Greg

Does King Authur count?

Greg.

I've been to Tintagel Castle in Cornwall. went for a walk around the headland...not sure if I was supposed to but it seemed OK at the time....Not in Wales though.

Panor%C3%A1ma_krajiny_kolem_Tintagelu.jpg

Greg

Selling water worth 'hundreds of millions' to Wales - BBC News

Appropriate their assets and deny the indigenous people the right to profit from them.

You can either have your handouts or your water profits, who will benefit from either. I doubt that you understand the implications for what you are claiming, as it would mean less money when the price of water went up and rationing was introduced to stop profiteering. I wonder how much you would be prepared to pay for your water from England when the English companies close down the water plants that they own in wales. Or did you forget that part of the situation, as the scots forgot about Faslane being British and employing 4,000 non military personel. Who will employ the welsh workers when the company cant sell its water. After all who wants sheep or leek flavoured water outside of wales

I'm sure Tommy Tainant considers Wales to be a colony, ruled over by the despicable British.

And not a broken down nation starving because of its leaders actions, and that they signed a treaty of their own free will to be defended and looked after by the English in return for being governed from Westminster

I'm sure Tommy Tainant considers Wales to be a colony, ruled over by the despicable British.
You steal our assets and then tell us we are too poor to cope on our own.

Thats straight out of the British Empire handbook.

What assets are they then when it was the English that showed how to tap the surplus and gain by it. All you want is to be a money grabbing champagne socialist living the high life. You can have your country and water and see were it gets you in the end.

Oh, this again.
:itsok:
It doesnt go away. The best of it is then you call us scroungers who cant cope. Priceless.

You dont like the truth do you, and without the handouts from the English would be forced to pay for your prescriptions and education out of the taxes you raise yourselves. How soon do you think the Welsh would turn if they had to pay 50% VAT and 35% income taxes just to balance the books in regards to welfare costs. When the DVLA closes down and puts thousands out of work, the hospitals close through lack of funds and the roads become rutted cart tracks then you will regret ever being a RACIST POS

And entered into talks with the English for protection and the paying of debts. They can always pay for a referendum out of their own pockets after getting the go ahead from their elected government in Westminster to vote on wether they stay or leave

I found this:

Greg

Does King Authur count?

Greg.

I've been to Tintagel Castle in Cornwall. went for a walk around the headland...not sure if I was supposed to but it seemed OK at the time....Not in Wales though.

Panor%C3%A1ma_krajiny_kolem_Tintagelu.jpg

Greg

You have the right to ramble freely in England as long as there are no signs saying private property. The ramblers do not like it when people walk across their gardens

Oh, this again.
:itsok:
It doesnt go away. The best of it is then you call us scroungers who cant cope. Priceless.

You dont like the truth do you, and without the handouts from the English would be forced to pay for your prescriptions and education out of the taxes you raise yourselves. How soon do you think the Welsh would turn if they had to pay 50% VAT and 35% income taxes just to balance the books in regards to welfare costs. When the DVLA closes down and puts thousands out of work, the hospitals close through lack of funds and the roads become rutted cart tracks then you will regret ever being a RACIST POS

He's a Welsh Communist. Self admitted and blissfully unaware of the stupidity of his POSition.

Greg

Forum List

Back