How To Get Killed in One Easy Lesson (1943)

This was at the height of the United States sending teenagers off to war.

Lucky for the filmakers they found an Imperial Japanese sniper who spoke pretty decent English.

I watched this years ago. It was blunt and designed to bring reality to the soldiers.

I watched this years ago. It was blunt and designed to bring reality to the soldiers.
It didn't do a very good job though. I suppose it is possible they didn't know that Japanese soldier did not surrender when they made this film, if it was in early 1943, but the whole thing is pretty campy, even for 1943.

It didn't do a very good job though. I suppose it is possible they didn't know that Japanese soldier did not surrender when they made this film, if it was in early 1943, but the whole thing is pretty campy, even for 1943.
Guess you never heard of Guadalcanal ?

BTW, all belligerents were sending "teen agers", along with middle agers off to war.

Or didn't know this;

During the early years of World War II, Japanese Americans were forcibly relocated from their homes on the West Coast because military leaders and public opinion combined to fan unproven fears of sabotage. As the war progressed, many of the young Nisei, Japanese immigrants' children who were born with American citizenship, volunteered or were drafted to serve in the United States military. Japanese Americans served in all the branches of the United States Armed Forces, including the United States Merchant Marine.[1] An estimated 33,000 Japanese Americans served in the U.S. military during World War II, of which 20,000 joined the Army. Approximately 800 were killed in action.

The 100th Battalion and the 442nd Infantry Regiment became the most decorated unit in U.S. military history.[2] The related 522nd Field Artillery Battalion liberated one or more subcamps[3] of the infamous Dachau concentration camp. Other Japanese-American units also included the 100th Infantry Battalion, the 1399th Engineer Construction Battalion,[4] and the Military Intelligence Service.

Forum List

Back