How the Dems Would Govern

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Adam's Apple, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    JUst the thought of this should make all those disgruntled conservatives who are thinking about sitting out the election DASH to the polls!

Back to the Congressional Future
    Editorial, Opinion Journal
    August 31, 2006

With a little more than two months to go before midterm elections, the polls show Democrats well positioned to win the House after 12 years out of power. So it's not too soon to consider who these Democrats are and how they would govern.

for full article:
    http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110008877

2. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Sounds to me like someone has been cherry-picking their facts. He does raise a few interesting points, but I can't help but feel that someone is trying to mislead me.

3. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
  4. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Well it certainly is a "secret" plan. So secret that not even the Democrats know it. Thank God we have Neal Bootz to search through the past decade of media to find one out-of-context quote from some unknown politician about subjects that haven't even been mentioned elsewhere and present this grand Democratic plan that the Democrats don't know of to the world.

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Mr. C., I won't say the GOP is above scare tactics, but their boogey man is alive and well. Check out the America convert or else I posted earlier.

All of the examples of Dem. scare tactics I've heard within the last month, haven't you?

6. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Personally, Kathianne, these sound more like policy positions then anything else, and I'm not denying that the Democrats use scare tactics either, but I think both sides are equally low. The Democrats aren't as bad as some people on this board would have you believe though, and the Republicans aren't as good. Both are equal in their depravity. That's my opinion.
    I've heard people on both sides suggest raising the cap on SS taxes, but not as he describes them. I'm also surprised that he's bashing Earned Income Tax Credits. They're part of the bipartisan plan signed into law by President Clinton in 96 that cut the welfare rolls in half. We just had the 10th aniversary. It's been a huge success at reducing welfare payments. If anything, it's saving us money.

I remember a bipartisan tax commission bringing this up a few months ago, but they also mentioned how it was politically impossible. No links, no examples, nothing provided. Just talk.
    I've heard of it a lot, but not as part of a plan to destroy the American economy. The only place I've actually seen anything actually implemented was in Massachusetts by Republican Govenor Romney. The one example is a decade old and forgotten by both parties. Otherwise, no links, no examples, nothing provided. Just talk.

Haven't heard anything on this subject. His example is over a decade old.
    Again, nothing. No links, no examples, nothing provided. Just talk.
    Nothing. No links, no examples, nothing provided. Just talk.
    Nothing, though I think it's a great idea for Social Security. No links, no examples, nothing provided. Just talk.
    I remember hearing about this one time. Not from either party though. No links, no examples, nothing provided. Just talk.
    I had a friend write a paper for a government class on the benefits of daycare for pre-Kindergarden children, but I haven't seen any serious effort on the Federal or State level from the Democrats. However, I did see a Republican suggest it in Michigan. It was a few months ago, but I'll see if I can find a link. No links, no examples, nothing provided. Just talk.
    Only on the fringe left. Not from any politicians. No links, no examples, nothing provided. Just talk.
    I've heard about plans for permits, and a license, but the assault weapons ban, but not a repeal of the second amendment. No links, no examples, nothing provided. Just talk.

Nothing. No link provided major example is over a decade old, and the "recent" example provides no details.

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Mr. C, where did the ideas come from? Not from GOP?

I agree, the points are idiotic, won't pass, are for political consumption only. Still, from your own post, it's obvious that the DNC is much more the party of scare the voters.

8. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    I don't know, I've seen some pretty depraved tactics from the GOP, and a lot of these "plans" aren't from either party as far as I can tell. It appears to me to consist of individual ideas, and not a party position.

I think both parties are awful. I don't know which is worse though, and I don't think that there is any real way to definitively find out.

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Then please illuminate...

10. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    Would you be specific as to how you get the idea that this editorial writer(s) cherry picked his facts and is trying to mislead you? I thought the article was pretty much above board and clear cut. The writer gave his reasons why he thought people should give serious thought as to how they vote in this fall's election. Since this is a WSJ editorial, I'm assuming it's directed primarily to disgruntled Republicans and to real Democrats [the old fashioned kind] to think about what it would be like for this country to have that leftist crowd in charge of important Congressional posts.