• Work alone to pressure Iranian officials to negotiate

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • offer to assist put down the reformists

• assist the reformists establish autonomy

• Total voters
Today's statement from the President on Iran, good but about three days late:
The Iranian government must understand that the world is watching. We mourn each and every innocent life that is lost. We call on the Iranian government to stop all violent and unjust actions against its own people. The universal rights to assembly and free speech must be respected, and the United States stands with all who seek to exercise those rights.

As I said in Cairo, suppressing ideas never succeeds in making them go away. The Iranian people will ultimately judge the actions of their own government. If the Iranian government seeks the respect of the international community, it must respect the dignity of its own people and govern through consent, not coercion.

Martin Luther King once said -- "The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice." I believe that. The international community believes that. And right now, we are bearing witness to the Iranian peoples' belief in that truth, and we will continue to bear witness.

Should have been, within hours after the "victory" was announced:

"I umm.... call into uhh-question.... Umm, the ability of any nation...... Ahh.. to count 30 million..... Ahh-handwritten votes, by hand. Ahhh-without machines or computers... in just two hours. Or even twelve. Ummm-my concern... is the physical impossibility of that...... Ahh.. unless they had about a half million...... Umm-people doing the counting.... Ahh-and started counting..... Umm... right when the polls opened. Not even our friends the Japanese..... Umm-are that efficient."

Oh and:
must respect the dignity of its own people and govern through consent, not coercion.
He should take his own words to heart.

That is exactly how I feel. In his own 'at war with the English language way', Bush would have very directly and very understandably made it known that people who strive for liberty and freedom are the brothers of Americans who wish them well. Governments that strive to remove liberty freedom are at odds with our beliefs.

Obama's first statement left me embarrased to be an American.

It's tough to define what a wimpy statement from the most powerful man in world is, but I know it when I hear it.

We don't have the troops or money to wage a ground war with Iran, so I say just shut the fuck up and let the young Iranians handle the situation there. We have no business interfering in their political process anyway since it doesn't directly affect us with the exception of the current regime wanting to build an A bomb. We can however, place sanctions on them if they continue to build the A bomb. We can also monitor the shipping lanes into and out of Iran just like we are doing with N Korea to stop trafficking of materiels to build those bombs. Yes, blockadeing is an act of war, but then they would have to declare war on us, and attack us. That would be a bad mistake on their part knowing the awesome airpower we have.

It's worked great with NK. :rolleyes:

The problem with stopping NK from acquiring a working nuclear weapon (if they haven't already) is one of knowledge/technology, not potentially fissile material. North Korea has uranium as a natural resource. Stopping the technology from coming into Iran is damn near impossible. All they need are the precise and accurate manufacturing processes that the knowledge/technology would deliver in order to enrich their uranium and then plant it on the head of a missile.

And with a nutbar as their head of state, it looks more and more likely that military action, from somebody, will be the only way to stop said nutbar from acquiring ballistic nuclear weapons.

Expressing our support for the reformist movement would stigmatize it and cause it to lose much of what popularity it still has. As in most situations, we'd be best off minding our own business.

This is a revealing moment for the people of Iran. The election was a show, obviously, and the cat's out of the bag.

About half of Iran's population is younger than 25. There are idealists there who feel like they have been lied to and they are pissed off. The demonstrations in the streets following the sham elections reveal that this is not a theocratic democracy, but is rather a theocratic police state and this will not sit well with those who want progress.

Wouldn't it be interesting if the current regime fell and a truly democratic one replaced it?

Democracy in Iraq. Hezbollah just lost an election in Lebanon. If Iran turns democratic, it could be the continuation of something very, very big. One can almost see the legacy of GWB turning very positive.

Oh, God! The horror.

Last edited:
Today's statement from the President on Iran, good but about three days late:
The Iranian government must understand that the world is watching. We mourn each and every innocent life that is lost. We call on the Iranian government to stop all violent and unjust actions against its own people. The universal rights to assembly and free speech must be respected, and the United States stands with all who seek to exercise those rights.

As I said in Cairo, suppressing ideas never succeeds in making them go away. The Iranian people will ultimately judge the actions of their own government. If the Iranian government seeks the respect of the international community, it must respect the dignity of its own people and govern through consent, not coercion.

Martin Luther King once said -- "The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice." I believe that. The international community believes that. And right now, we are bearing witness to the Iranian peoples' belief in that truth, and we will continue to bear witness.

Should have been, within hours after the "victory" was announced:

"I umm.... call into uhh-question.... Umm, the ability of any nation...... Ahh.. to count 30 million..... Ahh-handwritten votes, by hand. Ahhh-without machines or computers... in just two hours. Or even twelve. Ummm-my concern... is the physical impossibility of that...... Ahh.. unless they had about a half million...... Umm-people doing the counting.... Ahh-and started counting..... Umm... right when the polls opened. Not even our friends the Japanese..... Umm-are that efficient."

Oh and:
must respect the dignity of its own people and govern through consent, not coercion.
He should take his own words to heart.

That is exactly how I feel. In his own 'at war with the English language way', Bush would have very directly and very understandably made it known that people who strive for liberty and freedom are the brothers of Americans who wish them well. Governments that strive to remove liberty freedom are at odds with our beliefs.

Obama's first statement left me embarrased to be an American.

It's tough to define what a wimpy statement from the most powerful man in world is, but I know it when I hear it.

US should always stand for more freedom. For some reason many are saying that claiming solidarity with those risking their lives for the right to a fair vote, well that's what it started as, is the equivalency of sending in the marines. It's not.

Sunni claimed 'we would arrest protestors', not quite:

Washington DC:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMI4Wgp1J7U&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Iranian protest at White House[/ame]

LA:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1Qjtm1aj38]YouTube - Iranian protest. june 20,2009. los angeles[/ame]

NY/UN:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udFQ96V8P6U]YouTube - NYC Iran united nations protest[/ame]

Paris:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN8MiGWD1cw]YouTube - 90.000 Iranians in Paris for Democracy and Free Election in Iran[/ame]

...we should work covertly to undermine racist, dictatorial, oppressive governments in all countries, including Iran. The legacy of global humanity should someday be that all peoples have been granted the freedoms to express their views, be governed locally by those they choose in recurring, fair, free elections, pursue their legal goals without political harassment, peacefully coexist with all neighbors and to do all these things with as little government intervention as can be attained without anarchy.

If we can ever get away from the harmful side effects of organized religion, over zealous leaders, racism, political greed, hatred and sadism, we'll be one step closer to the goal of establishing a comfortable peace throughout the planet.

I know. I know.

.....fat chance!

Yea... sanctions... because that works :rolleyes:
Sanctions against allowing A-bomb materiels to enter the country will work to stop the building of an A-bomb. As far as I know, Uranium and other A-Bomb materiels are not readily available in Iran. If you are building widgets, and all of a sudden the materiels for building your widgets is cut off, you can no longer build widgets.

Read my previous post. Iran shares a land border with Russia and Russia is supplying the technology and undoubtedly material to Iran. A naval blockade would be worthless.

How do you propose to enforce sanctions in all of Iran's land borders?

You're right to get to Iran we need Russia on board. REASON: Iran has oil, but they have no refineries. They ship it up to Russia to refine for them.

But again--the only people that would hurt would be the people out in the streets fighting against this oppressive regime. The Mullahs would still get all the oil they needed.

We don't have the troops or money to wage a ground war with Iran, so I say just shut the fuck up and let the young Iranians handle the situation there. We have no business interfering in their political process anyway since it doesn't directly affect us with the exception of the current regime wanting to build an A bomb. We can however, place sanctions on them if they continue to build the A bomb. We can also monitor the shipping lanes into and out of Iran just like we are doing with N Korea to stop trafficking of materiels to build those bombs. Yes, blockadeing is an act of war, but then they would have to declare war on us, and attack us. That would be a bad mistake on their part knowing the awesome airpower we have.

2 battalions of the last ones I was attached to, with aid from the 3rd mechanized and some air sup from 12 warts and iran's government is yesterday.

At first I supported non-interference, but after today's frontal of the government shock troops and that was that.

Rwanda and srebrenica happened while I wore the uniform, and that is a guilt I will take beyond the grave...if it can be prevented I don't want another massacre like that to occur.

the problem with that is, we have had a history of supporting one group over another, only to end up with another group that was just as bad if not worse
as far as covertly helping, i dont believe that to be needed so much as letting them know we support their attempts are freedom, should they actually ASK us for assistance, i might change my position
lacking them sending that request, i will say we can do no more than what we are doing at this moment

besides, when Obama said he would meet with them with no preconditions, it blew any shred of credibility he could have had

Last edited:
The "supreme leader" is going to accuse us of covertly supporting the resistance regardless...so we should...while maintaining as loudly as possible we are doing no such thing.

Whether we support them covertly or not, no one will believe we aren't anyway.

Last edited:
Okay first half the current population has never lived under any government but the current one.

2nd in the end the only real difffrences between the Shah and Mossadiq was that the Shah lasted 20 years Mossadiq was unlikely to have lasted 5 even if the US does not become complicit in the Bristish over throw of the Mossadiq government.

3rd US support for the Shah was instrumental in establishing an Iran in which - unlike most of the Middle East - both women and men both got decent - even by Western standards - educations and it is the women pushing this rebillion even more so than the men.

4th What should we do? As much as it pains me to say it Obama's doing just about exactly the right thing.

The "supreme leader" is going to accuse us of covertly supporting the resistance regardless...so we should...while maintaining as loudly as possible we are doing no such thing.

Whether we support them covertly or not, no one will believe we aren't anyway.

The Supreme Leader has already accused us of exactly that. Interferring in the election process--& the route cause of these protests.

It really doesn't matter if we do, or if we don't--we're going to get blamed for it anyway.

Last edited:
Okay first half the current population has never lived under any government but the current one.

2nd in the end the only real difffrences between the Shah and Mossadiq was that the Shah lasted 20 years Mossadiq was unlikely to have lasted 5 even if the US does not become complicit in the Bristish over throw of the Mossadiq government.

3rd US support for the Shah was instrumental in establishing an Iran in which - unlike most of the Middle East - both women and men both got decent - even by Western standards - educations and it is the women pushing this rebillion even more so than the men.

4th What should we do? As much as it pains me to say it Obama's doing just about exactly the right thing.

Agreed--there is nothing we can do at this time. There is no clear opposition leader in Iran--like we had in Afganistan against the Taliban. Both of these Presidential candidates are one in the same. Their just wanting to replace one bad guy with another--with the Supreme Leader really still in control over everyone else. It would be the same regime.

If there was a clear leader--that was in total opposition to the entire regime--including the Supreme Leader--we along with Europe could do covert operations against the regime.

Agreed--there is nothing we can do at this time. There is no clear opposition leader in Iran--like we had in Afganistan against the Taliban. Both of these Presidential candidates are one in the same. Their just wanting to replace one bad guy with another--with the Supreme Leader really still in control over everyone else. It would be the same regime.

If there was a clear leader--that was in total opposition to the entire regime--including the Supreme Leader--we along with Europe could do covert operations against the regime.

Maybe yes, maybe no. He's not been in the gov't for a long time. His daughter is well educated and doesn't wear hajib type garb. His wife too is educated. He's spent his time since the revolution in architecture and teaching. He may be very different than the student he was 30 years ago.

He's certainly NOT acting as they expected, so perhaps we'll find out.

Expressing our support for the reformist movement would stigmatize it and cause it to lose much of what popularity it still has. As in most situations, we'd be best off minding our own business.

So the Great and powerful Wizard of Obama's idea that his words matter really does not matter when one looks behind that curtain with all the levers?

What else does he have?

Hasn't all hit 'the right note'. From 'the office of', notice that:

What Does Mousavi Think? - Michael Ledeen - The Corner on National Review Online

Saturday, June 20, 2009

What Does Mousavi Think? [Michael Ledeen]

This may help clarify matters for those who wonder what the Iranian dissidents want. I posted it on my blog a while ago. As I said on my blog, we are all getting various things whose authenticity requires skepticism. I'm confident of the channel—a person who is directly in contact with Mousavi and his people—but I can't swear this has been approved by Mousavi himself. Still, I do think it reflects the state of mind of his people. Notice that it doesn't bear his signature; it's from "the office."

From the Office of Mr. Mir Hossein Mousavi

To the President of the USA, Mr. Barack Hussein Obama:

Dear Mr. President,

In the name of the Iranian people, we want you to know that when you recently made the statement "Achmadinejad or Mousavi? Two of a kind,” we consider this as a grave and deep insult, not just to Mr. Mousavi but especially against the judgment of the Iranian people, against our moral conviction and intelligence, especially those of the young generation that comprises a population of 31 million.

It is a specially grave insult for those who are now fighting for democracy and freedom, and an unwarranted gift and even praise for Mr. Khamenei, whose security forces are now killing peaceful Iranians in the streets of every major city in the country.

Your statement misled the people of the world. It was no doubt inspired by your hope for dialogue with this regime, but you cannot possibly believe in promises from a regime that lies to its own people and then kills them when they demand the promises be kept.

By such statements, your administration and you discourage the Iranian people, who believe and trust in the values of democracy and freedom. We are pleased to see that you have condemned the regime’s murderous violence, and we look forward to stronger support for the rightful struggle of the Iranian people against the actions of a regime that is your enemy as well as ours.​

06/20 11:26 PM

It is pretty obvious that Obama fucked up royally in his speech. The idiot does not know the history of Iran or the surrounding nations. I think it is obvious he knows he fucked up because he hasn't said shit since then.

Forum List

Back