How often do you take the train?

How often have you taken the train?

• Total voters
The total number of people who live in single story houses can't imagine why anyone would need a staircase....they never take the stairs.

The country was built around cars and highways the same way a house was built; be it a single or multiple story structure. Think of my condo tower as the subway--I take stairs quite often because I must if I want to get to the other floors more rapidly.

Would bullet trains be successful in the US? Likely not. I agree with you but not because it's a bad idea in and of itself. Its a bad idea because we're conditioned along different transitory DNA. It would be like trying to sell coats at the beach or ice to an Eskimo.

We CAN evolve...

The rail system in Europe is great. It's everywhere and relatively cheap.

America doesn't really have a rail system, and what it has isn't exactly cheap, either, so what we have now isn't really very useful for most of us.

Of course when I lived in Boston, I used that public transit system daily and it was wonderful.

It doesn't matter what topic is being discussed. Nutters habitually fall on the side of stupid.

I experienced the speed, efficiency and economy of a nationwide rail system while living in Japan years ago. Opposing a high speed rail program for the United States is nothing more than another way that the disloyal opposition digs in their heels.

How often have you taken the train state side?

from LA to san fran is costing of 60 Billion, in tax money. money that will have to be added to the debt or printed, devaluing the dollar even more and putting the screws to the working poor.

Why would any moral human being support such an atrocity in ever state?
Why would any "moral" human being allow their government to have a 700 billion dollar offence budget ?

How often have you taken the train stateside?

I'm going to go with never.

why?

b/c planes are faster and cars get you where you specifically need to be.

In the 50's we chose roads and cars over trains b/c it was a smarter and better idea since we have so much open area and still do.

The EU has little open region

going back to trains is idiotic and wasteful, you only support it b/c obama told you too

How often do we use a non-existent system? We're talking high-speed rail, making yours an irrelevant question. As to old-style rail, they're used daily by many for commuting to work, here in the east.
I live in the East

"many" is an overt exaggeration.

and my question stands; If you don't take the train now, you won't take a faster one, except to enjoy it once or twice.

I guess my fellow passengers and I are imagining the crowded trains during rush hour. :rolleyes:

The total number of people who live in single story houses can't imagine why anyone would need a staircase....they never take the stairs.

The country was built around cars and highways the same way a house was built; be it a single or multiple story structure. Think of my condo tower as the subway--I take stairs quite often because I must if I want to get to the other floors more rapidly.

Would bullet trains be successful in the US? Likely not. I agree with you but not because it's a bad idea in and of itself. Its a bad idea because we're conditioned along different transitory DNA. It would be like trying to sell coats at the beach or ice to an Eskimo.

Thank you.

someone that knows it would be a wast of money.

Curious; if it were free to build, free to construct and free to maintain, would you say "no" still?

How often do we use a non-existent system? We're talking high-speed rail, making yours an irrelevant question. As to old-style rail, they're used daily by many for commuting to work, here in the east.
I live in the East

"many" is an overt exaggeration.

and my question stands; If you don't take the train now, you won't take a faster one, except to enjoy it once or twice.

I guess my fellow passengers and I are imagining the crowded trains during rush hour. :rolleyes:

Totally agree.

Chicago's transit system is not exactly vacant. Houston's trains are overflowing but there are just a few of them. There is potential but if we are to go forward with it; the roll out has to be phased in. Vegas to LA in 30 minutes would be the first goal. Half the flight time, 80% faster than driving. Vegas to Chicago could probably work. As could many places along the East Coast to Chicago.

A destination from a population center.

But those who think Lincoln to Lexington will be a sustainable leg are fooling themselves.

I think that Bullet trains would be a bad idea because Americans haven't been conditioned to take trains. People who have to take trains into the big cities usually hate them because they are overcrowded even for short trips.

The very fact the government has to prop up AmTrack which has never made a profit is telling enough.

Now some government services are necessary, even if they don't make a profit. Police, Fire, Post Office, etc.

Trains aren't.

In the Great State of Ohio, we were discussing a high speed rail system to connect all the major cities of Ohio. Many people were excited about the prospect (including me). To be able to run up to a ball game in Cleveland, hit the Rock and Roll HOF, then snooze on the train all the way back home would have been fun.

Kasich got it killed right away. (no pun intended)

Now that we no longer care about maintaining roadways and bridges, I can see where having a modern, efficent, fast method of moving lots of people wouldn't be good.
I much prefer being held hostage to gas prices and I much prefer sitting in traffic jams and tearing up my truck on the sucky roads.

Yea that's the ticket. No wonder we are going backwards. We can't figure out where to put it in "D".

LL, the quote below is funny. And true. I know I have been thinking about it. I always thought I couldn't see much in an airplane because I was so high in the sky. But it is because we were going to fast.

You all realize that we are "arguing" with a guy who thinks there is no view for passengers of bullet trains because they are traveling too fast. Perhaps we should all have OUR heads examined?

Dummy.......there are no trains available to me. I CANNOT ride them. They do not exist. The question is dumb.

so you can't get online, get tickets for a ride then get in your car, drive to the station and get on?

are you bed ridden?

Oh! I get it! You are a plant sent here to make us all think nutters are stupid! Great job!

you are the one that said you couldn't get to a train and cannot ride them.

The only logical conclusion is that you are bed ridden, or are you so fat you can't get in one?

You run a business, so I assumed you knew how to get to a train. seems only natural.

Thank you.

someone that knows it would be a wast of money.

Curious; if it were free to build, free to construct and free to maintain, would you say "no" still?

Free?

I'll do you one better

If it didn't use tax money, I'd totally support anything being built.

but if obamas full plan goes forward it will cost over a Trillion

It doesn't matter what topic is being discussed. Nutters habitually fall on the side of stupid.

I experienced the speed, efficiency and economy of a nationwide rail system while living in Japan years ago. Opposing a high speed rail program for the United States is nothing more than another way that the disloyal opposition digs in their heels.

from LA to san fran is costing of 60 Billion, in tax money. money that will have to be added to the debt or printed, devaluing the dollar even more and putting the screws to the working poor.

$60 billion is chump change, we spent that in six months invading and occupying Iraq. Why would any sane human being support such an atrocity as was that war?

That said we take BART everytime we go into San Francisco ('cept for Niner Games 'cause we tailgate). When it's hot in the Tri-Valley (90 +) we often hop on BART and then transfer to Lt. Rail and have dinner in The City. San Francisco on a summer's eve can be 30 or more degrees cooler than many parts of the Bay Area (and the restaurants in SF are many and are great, especially in the neighborhoods vis a vis the tourist traps).

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/226912-bullet-trains-who-would-have-thought.html#post5391087

Totally ripping off Annie.

I've taken the train twice in my life, both for vacations.

It was cheaper to fly and faster. The only downside to driving instead is that you have to actually drive.

So why bother with bullet trains?

I prefer trains to planes. I love them, no driving, you get to know people, it's romantic and relaxing.

Bullet trains are a great idea.

I don't think there is anything romantic about a modern high speed train. Just a question of comfort and efficient travel.

$60 billion is chump change, we spent that in six months invading and occupying Iraq. Why would any sane human being support such an atrocity as was that war?

That said we take BART everytime we go into San Francisco ('cept for Niner Games 'cause we tailgate). When it's hot in the Tri-Valley (90 +) we often hop on BART and then transfer to Lt. Rail and have dinner in The City. San Francisco on a summer's eve can be 30 or more degrees cooler than many parts of the Bay Area (and the restaurants in SF are many and are great, especially in the neighborhoods vis a vis the tourist traps).

good for you, actually sounds very cool.

Now, why should I pay for it?
Why should someone far away, but still in CA pay for it?
why can't a private company do this?

and that 60 billion, thats over double the estimate, and no work has started.

and

Obama wants about 30 of these projects. You really wanna dump over a trillion just so you can go have dinner?

No. The MTA and local government already fuck us over yearly with subway and rail service charges. It's a farce. We pay to maintain it thorugh taxes, we pay to have it built, we pay to ride it and then when something goes wrong with MTAs fucking budget, we pay more yet again.

The only way i would be in favor of such a mass transit system would be if it was completely private. But that will never happen here in LOLberalville.

Forum List

Back