Taxation without Representation - is it OK? Poll

Is taxation without representation OK?

• No.

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • Yes.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Yes but only in the District of Columbia.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't know / too long / didn't read

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
anyone?

I personally think the residents of DC should not have to pay federal income tax. They have no voting representation in Congress - they should not be taxed by Congress. THe Constitution certainly alows for it but it goes against everything this nation was founded on.

Last edited:
anyone?

I personally think the residents of DC should not have to pay federal income tax. They have no voting representation in Congress - they should not be taxed by Congress.

I presume you also want to do away with federal taxes on corporate income and federal income taxes for non-US citizens living in the US then?

anyone?

I personally think the residents of DC should not have to pay federal income tax. They have no voting representation in Congress - they should not be taxed by Congress.

I presume you also want to do away with federal taxes on corporate income and federal income taxes for non-US citizens living in the US then?

Neither has the full rights of citizenship.

Are the people of D.C. full citizens? Or should they be considered half citizens, much like the crown considered the colonists in 1776?

anyone?

Are the people of D.C. full citizens? Or should they be considered half citizens, much like the crown considered the colonists in 1776?

So the title of your OP is misleading? You think it's OK for people to be taxed without representation as long as they are corporations or non-citizens?

As for the people of DC, DC is not a state. The people of DC can choose to move to a state and then they get to vote for Congress.

And by the way, how many of DC's residents draw their income directly or indirectly from the presence of the Federal government in DC?

So the title of your OP is misleading? You think it's OK for people to be taxed without representation as long as they are corporations or non-citizens?

"The People" as referred to in the Constitution of the United States does not include non-people or non-citizens, so yes.

As for the people of DC, DC is not a state.
Wow. You're a genius.
The people of DC can choose to move to a state and then they get to vote for Congress.
Brilliant argument. The colonists could have chosen to move back to Britain. I can tell you would have been on the Crown's side in that issue.
And by the way, how many of DC's residents draw their income directly or indirectly from the presence of the Federal government in DC?
I dunno, how many? If its a figure you want to use in your argument - YOU find it you lazy piece of crap - not me.

"The People" as referred to in the Constitution of the United States does not include non-people or non-citizens, so yes.

Wow. You're a genius.
The people of DC can choose to move to a state and then they get to vote for Congress.
Brilliant argument. The colonists could have chosen to move back to Britain. I can tell you would have been on the Crown's side in that issue.
I dunno, how many? If its a figure you want to use in your argument - YOU find it you lazy piece of crap - not me.

You're not really very bright I guess.

Tell me, how many representatives in Congress did the US citizens who lived in the various territories have before they became states? Oh yes, zero.

How about representation without taxation? WIth over 50% of income earners not paying taxes should they be entitled to vote?

How about representation without taxation? WIth over 50% of income earners not paying taxes should they be entitled to vote?

Why are you against the Constitituion?

Maybe he is. You certainly are.

The 24th amendment says you can't be denied the vote for national office for not paying a tax.

Which part of the Constitution says Congress must tax people that aren't represented in Congress?

Where does the constitution say anything about this?

The 24th amendment shit for brains.

Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any State by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax.

Section 2. The Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any State by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax.

Section 2. The Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.
That's a tax specifically for the right to vote, dumbshit.
Fail.
A little knowledge is a stupid thing.

Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any State by reason of failure to pay any poll tax OR other tax.

That's a tax specifically for the right to vote, dumbshit.
Fail.
A little knowledge is a stupid thing.

See above

Do you see that big fat OR?

Sorry, but do the writers of this amendment have to get in a time machine, come to today, and beat you with it to get you to understand their point? Do understand that the phrase "poll tax or other tax" is meant to include ALL taxes are you just a big fat idiot?

Maybe he is. You certainly are.

The 24th amendment says you can't be denied the vote for national office for not paying a tax.

Which part of the Constitution says Congress must tax people that aren't represented in Congress?

Which part of the Constitution says other territories than the States should be represented in Congress?

None. Where did I ever say DC should be represented in Congress? If you could read English you'd understand my suggested remedy would be to not levy a tax on residents of DC.

Which part of the Constitution says other territories than the States should be represented in Congress?

None. Where did I ever say DC should be represented in Congress? If you could read English you'd understand my suggested remedy would be to not levy a tax on residents of DC.

Undoubtedly you would also want to be consistent then and bar all residents of DC from any Federal funding, any Federal jobs, etc?

Undoubtedly you would also want to be consistent then and bar all residents of DC from any Federal funding, any Federal jobs, etc?

I'm sorry but I don't recall them chanting "No government benefits without representation" at the Boston Tea Party.

I'm merely trying to be consistent with what is probably our biggest reason for separating from Great Britain. Don't you think its a bit hypocritical to shed blood over "no taxation without representation" and then proceeding to tax people without representation?

I'm sorry but I don't recall them chanting "No government benefits without representation" at the Boston Tea Party.

I'm merely trying to be consistent with what is probably our biggest reason for separating from Great Britain. Don't you think its a bit hypocritical to shed blood over "no taxation without representation" and then proceeding to tax people without representation?

Tell me, were people in Hawaii and Alaska exempt from Federal income tax before they became states?

There is nothing at all consistent about your reasoning.

Forum List

Back