How much of your success was because of Government? ....

It looks like the President is now using the same rhetoric that the fully clothed Marxist Elizabeth Warren is using, "no one made it on their own, including Steve Jobs". I'm just curious to know on a percentage basis, how much did Government have to do with your success?

I'll be generous and say maybe 15% for me, what say you?

I see. Your parents sent you to a private school. You have never used public roads for your business. You are immune to cholera and the other water borne diseases that the public water systems eliminated. You have never used any of the anti-biotics whose discovery the government helped fund.

Day in the Life of Joe Middle-Class Republican

Joe gets up at 6:00am to prepare his morning coffee. He fills his pot full of good clean drinking water because some liberal fought for minimum water quality standards. He takes his daily medication with his first swallow of coffee. His medications are safe to take because some liberal fought to insure their safety and work as advertised.

All but $10.00 of his medications are paid for by his employers medical plan because some liberal union workers fought their employers for paid medical insurance, now Joe gets it too. He prepares his morning breakfast, bacon and eggs this day. Joe’s bacon is safe to eat because some liberal fought for laws to regulate the meat packing industry.

Joe takes his morning shower reaching for his shampoo; His bottle is properly labeled with every ingredient and the amount of its contents because some liberal fought for his right to know what he was putting on his body and how much it contained. Joe dresses, walks outside and takes a deep breath. The air he breathes is clean because some tree hugging liberal fought for laws to stop industries from polluting our air. He walks to the subway station for his government subsidized ride to work; it saves him considerable money in parking and transportation fees. You see, some liberal fought for affordable public transportation, which gives everyone the opportunity to be a contributor.

Joe begins his work day; he has a good job with excellent pay, medicals benefits, retirement, paid holidays and vacation because some liberal union members fought and died for these working standards. Joe’s employer pays these standards because Joe’s employer doesn’t want his employees to call the union. If Joe is hurt on the job or becomes unemployed he’ll get a worker compensation or unemployment check because some liberal didn’t think he should loose his home because of his temporary misfortune.

Its noon time, Joe needs to make a Bank Deposit so he can pay some bills. Joe’s deposit is federally insured by the FSLIC because some liberal wanted to protect Joe’s money from unscrupulous bankers who ruined the banking system before the depression.

Joe has to pay his Fannie Mae underwritten Mortgage and his below market federal student loan because some stupid liberal decided that Joe and the government would be better off if he was educated and earned more money over his life-time.

Joe is home from work, he plans to visit his father this evening at his farm home in the country. He gets in his car for the drive to dads; his car is among the safest in the world because some liberal fought for car safety standards. He arrives at his boyhood home. He was the third generation to live in the house financed by Farmers Home Administration because bankers didn’t want to make rural loans. The house didn’t have electric until some big government liberal stuck his nose where it didn’t belong and demanded rural electrification. (Those rural Republican’s would still be sitting in the dark)

He is happy to see his dad who is now retired. His dad lives on Social Security and his union pension because some liberal made sure he could take care of himself so Joe wouldn’t have to. After his visit with dad he gets back in his car for the ride home.

He turns on a radio talk show, the host’s keeps saying that liberals are bad and conservatives are good. (He doesn’t tell Joe that his beloved Republicans have fought against every protection and benefit Joe enjoys throughout his day) Joe agrees, “We don’t need those big government liberals ruining our lives; after all, I’m a self made man who believes everyone should take care of themselves, just like I have”.

Well now lets see.

I grew up healthy thanks to Government's intervention in food and water and preventing companies from poisoning me (accidentally of course). I attended and graduated a public school (thanks taxpayers!) which allowed me to get into a University. I was able to pay that tuition through working and Pell Grants and guaranteed loans (thanks again taxpayers!). I then moved across the country (nice highways) and was able to start working in an industry I love.

Since then, it's been all me. But I think it's fair to say I would not be where I am today without our government.
All of the above applies to me too. I went to a State University (The Ohio State University, to be exact). Got my degree in engineering. I went to work for a firm with contracts with the United States Navy. I visited every Naval Station in the Northern Command and investigated, abated, remediated and solved many environmental problems the Navy had with their bases. Asbestos, Lead Based paint, PCBs, defective waste water collection and treatment systems, I handled it all.

I now work as the county building inspector (thanks for the paycheck, county tax payers!). I maintain my home well including some pricey renovations (I am a job provider to roofers, contractors and building materials suppliers and manufacturers).

Well now lets see.

I grew up healthy thanks to Government's intervention in food and water and preventing companies from poisoning me (accidentally of course). I attended and graduated a public school (thanks taxpayers!) which allowed me to get into a University. I was able to pay that tuition through working and Pell Grants and guaranteed loans (thanks again taxpayers!). I then moved across the country (nice highways) and was able to start working in an industry I love.

Since then, it's been all me. But I think it's fair to say I would not be where I am today without our government.

Well let's see.

Did the governmet provide all those things out of the kindness of their hearts or were these things paid for by tax payers working in the private sector?

They were paid for by taxes from the private sector, obviously. That changes nothing though. The private sector never would have provided me with all those opportunities. The government did.

Private entities can't build roads or give loans?, since when?

It looks like the President is now using the same rhetoric that the fully clothed Marxist Elizabeth Warren is using, "no one made it on their own, including Steve Jobs". I'm just curious to know on a percentage basis, how much did Government have to do with your success?

after 9-11 my industry died. To make matters worse, our mayor offered tax breaks to companies who hired people through the city....completely putting my recruiting business to a stand still.

Furthermore, my application for a small business loan was never accepted or denied. To the contrary, they kept on asking me for more and more information to the point where I had to have my accountant deal with it. He cost me a lot of money for his time...and we STILL never got an answer.....here it is 10 years later and if I send them an email they will respond the same way they did for the first 3 years....we are reviewing your information and will get back to you in a timely manner. After 3 years of that, I stopped writing/emailing them.

SO as I see it...other than paving the roads so I can get to work...the government has actually hampered my ability to be successful.

Jarhead, my industry died about 20 years ago. So I switched to another one and made more money. Seems to me that you are blaming the government for you lack of ability to find employment. So why are you not going out and getting real job instead sitting back and whining? Isn't this what you say 'Liberals' do?

To be fair if Obama wants to claim your success is due to Government he needs to look at 2 things. First most taxes are paid by the people that have been successful, not the poor or 50%ish of the people out there. So Obama got his way, the successful do pay their fair share, it's the poor that are not based on their own logic.

Secondly how if Obama wants to take credit for the success then he must also take credit for the failures, something Obama has yet to do. So the question could also be how much of your failure was because of the Government, and this is where we see how undefined and overly general Obama's definition of Government being a part of someone’s success.

Obama is literally one of the more stupid politicians I have ever known of. He plays for political points and not even for the long term win, short term political points.

Well , for the hubby he was in the navy but he was successful because his parents put a good work ethic on him and he advanced. I do not give the government to much of the credit. I think he would have succeeded on which ever career he chose.

Did the navy train him? Pay him? Pay for your medical care?

Did he work for a private Navy?

How does the Navy exist ? Who funds the Navy to pay for the things you stated? ....

Well let's see.

Did the governmet provide all those things out of the kindness of their hearts or were these things paid for by tax payers working in the private sector?

They were paid for by taxes from the private sector, obviously. That changes nothing though. The private sector never would have provided me with all those opportunities. The government did.

I'm not saying they can't. I'm saying they didn't.

Well , for the hubby he was in the navy but he was successful because his parents put a good work ethic on him and he advanced. I do not give the government to much of the credit. I think he would have succeeded on which ever career he chose.

To be fair the Navy is a part of the government and if your husband spent alot of time there I am sure he will tell you it had a lot to do with what kind of man he has become.

Instead of picking a number out of your hat, the way to figure this out is to look at how much of what you do now to make money would be possible if the government did not exist at all. Try that and get back to us.

What about the poor, unsuccessful, homeless, etc.... ?

If the government is responsible for every successful person, are they also responsible for the failures?....

Well now lets see.

We live in a social environment in which we all depend on people whom we never see or converse with. From the food we eat, to the planes we travel in, government rules and regulations protect us. The education that is government funded is absolutely essential to our businesses, government, and military. To state that we are so many percentages independent of government and the present social network is to ignore reality. But then, so many here are professionals at that.

after 9-11 my industry died. To make matters worse, our mayor offered tax breaks to companies who hired people through the city....completely putting my recruiting business to a stand still.

Furthermore, my application for a small business loan was never accepted or denied. To the contrary, they kept on asking me for more and more information to the point where I had to have my accountant deal with it. He cost me a lot of money for his time...and we STILL never got an answer.....here it is 10 years later and if I send them an email they will respond the same way they did for the first 3 years....we are reviewing your information and will get back to you in a timely manner. After 3 years of that, I stopped writing/emailing them.

SO as I see it...other than paving the roads so I can get to work...the government has actually hampered my ability to be successful.

Jarhead, my industry died about 20 years ago. So I switched to another one and made more money. Seems to me that you are blaming the government for you lack of ability to find employment. So why are you not going out and getting real job instead sitting back and whining? Isn't this what you say 'Liberals' do?

I think you need to take a step back and re read what he said.

Government fucking you out of a business is hardly the same as competition, it's more like a monopoly that rapes a whole industry, who can compete? You don’t invest years into your work only to just roll over into something else, if it were that easy no one would work for others.

Past all that the point I think he was making was the same as I did, how does the Government or Obama in this case claim you owe us for helping you but then just shrug off the tens of millions of people they fucked along the way.

To be fair the Navy is a part of the government and if your husband spent alot of time there I am sure he will tell you it had a lot to do with what kind of man he has become.

Career military have it in them long before they enter the service.

Well let's see.

Why don't they do it on their own? Buy the land on their own? Not have to rely on the government for eminent domain. Why don't they build the bridges and tunnels on their own?

They have no problem winning fat government contracts and getting the government to do all the dirty work so they can make a hefty profit

Instead of picking a number out of your hat, the way to figure this out is to look at how much of what you do now to make money would be possible if the government did not exist at all. Try that and get back to us.

I'd keep more of my money, how many government crooks would have the resources to get their grubby hands on money that isn't theirs without me?.....

What about the poor, unsuccessful, homeless, etc.... ?

If the government is responsible for every successful person, are they also responsible for the failures?....

Why, yes! Especially so for the past thirty years.

Exccuse me?

I answered a question and rationalized why my answer was what it was.

I was not whining...I explained how the beauracracy of government actually COST me money with no return where, if they did not exist at all, would have cost me nothing

I had a choice at the time, and I chose to push oforward, loan or no loan. I succeeded and sold the company within 4 years. I took a little time off, and then started what I have now....another company with two separate divisions.

And sure, we are struggling now....but we continue to push forward.

I dont whine......I am only guilty of explaining my answer to the question.

LMFAO...and that unemployed loser "dontbestupid" actually thanked you for your post.

My successes have been in working for government. Does that count?

And your inflated government salary TAKES from those who don't work for the government and hinders their ability to spend or invest which fucks this economy.

I don't know what is it you do (I'm sure nothing) but I'm certain a person with your job title in the private sector works 99% harder, is 99% more efficient (due to competition) but makes about 60% of what you make...

Then you have the fucking audacity to have a 99% avatar and talk about how the middle class is dying??

The same assholes that bailed out your labor union bailed out the banks and stuck the private sector with the bill...

Your taxes pay your own salary - hence you don't pay any taxes if you work for the government..

I'd keep more of my money, how many government crooks would have the resources to get their grubby hands on money that isn't theirs without me?.....

If there were no government, there would be no government crooks, and you would have no money, so the question doesn't arise.

Forum List

Back