How much lithium is needed to replace all internal combustion engines in the world?

I have a full EV car which I occasionally drive long distances because I can get 300 miles on a full charge. And there are charging stations around.

I haven't driven ANY car on a dirt logging road.

Are you of the opinion that EVERYONE ON THE PLANET needs a vehicle capable of driving on a dirt logging road?

You've just decimated any rational argument you COULD make now. Moron.

LOLOL. You really are a dumbfuck ain't you?
Just remember:
Electricity to charge an EV car- Good
Electricity to run your refrigerator- Bad

Elon Musk Believes There’s Not Enough Lithium to Go Around, Experts Agree​

‘Mr. Lithium’ Warns There’s Not Enough Battery Metal to Go Around​

View attachment 692443
Good grief. You really do think the 1/8 pound of lithium just walks out on its own from the pile of salt and puts itself into a jar ready to go into a battery without any energy.

And you think sea water just piles salt up without any energy from humans involved.

Yep. What I expect from the ‘science’ Leftards who can’t even tell what a woman is.

This is small compared to smelting all the steel we need to replace existing cars and trucks ... the economy comes with recycling ... there's chemistry involved so Conservamorons would be clueless ...

Dufus who thinks it takes no energy to obtain lithium calls me clueless.
Hilarious.

You admit being clueless about chemistry ... do you think steel takes no energy? ... you'll just have to drive to Arizona to buy your Ford F-150 Pussy-mobiles ... painted menstrual red ... that should make you poplar at the corner drug store, cowboy ...

Sodium and lithium are very close in their chemical natures ... where we find sodium in abundance, we find lithium in abundance ... just how the universe works my friend ...

Last edited:
You can't simply calculate how many electric vehicles (EV) batteries are needed for the worldwide fleet to replace internal combustion engines. First of all there is no exact number of internal combustion engines in the world. Secondly there is variability in the battery size of EV batteries. So the best way to calculate how much lithium is needed to replace all of internal combustion engines in the world is to look at the daily energy consumed by internal combustion engines. This is the amount of EV battery capacity that is needed to operate EV's on a daily basis.

So we have to start with how much oil is produced daily. That number is 88 million barrels of oil per day. Then we need to calculate how much of that oil is actually refined into gasoline and diesel. Approximately 45 percent of a typical barrel of crude oil is refined into gasoline. An additional 29 percent is refined to diesel fuel. So I will start with the assumption that 74% of the 88 million barrels of oil per day is being consumed by ICE engines or 65,120,000 barrels of oil per day (88,000,000 bopd x 0.74 = 65,120,000 bopd). This is the amount of EV battery capacity that is needed to operate EV's on a daily basis.

Next we need to calculate the energy equivalent in kWh of 65,120,000 barrels of oil per day. The energy contained in a barrel of oil is approximately 5.8 million British thermal units (MBtus) or 1,700 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of energy. So there are an equivalent 110,700,000,000 kWh (110,700,000 mWh or 110,700 gWh or 110.7 tWh) in 65,120,000 barrels of oil (65,120,000 bbl of oil x 1700 kWh/bbl of oil = 110,700,000,000 kWh).

Next we need to determine the amount of lithium that is required to produce enough batteries to hold a charge of 110,700,000,000 kWh. The lithium content found in a lithium-ion battery for an electric vehicle is approximately 0.85 kg of lithium carbonate per kWh. This amounts to approximately 0.16kg of Lithium metal/kWh. So the amount of lithium required to produce enough batteries to hold a charge of 110,700,000,000 kWh is 17,713,000,000 kg of lithium metal.

So the answer to the question of how much lithium is needed to replace all internal combustion engines in the world is 17,713,000,000 kg of lithium metal. Which is equal to 17,712,640 metric tons.

Worldwide Oil Produced per day

Percent of Gasoline/Diesel Refined per barrel of oil

kWh Equivalent of a barrel of oil

Lithium metal Required per kWH

Any questions?

My Grandpappy always said "figures don't lie, but watch how liars figure".

Lithium batteries can be recharged. Gasoline, once it is used, it is burnt up and cannot be reused or recycled. Batteries can be recycled and recharged, gasoline can't.

My Grandpappy always said "figures don't lie, but watch how liars figure".

Lithium batteries can be recharged. Gasoline, once it is used, it is burnt up and cannot be reused or recycled. Batteries can be recycled and recharged, gasoline can't.
I understand that. That’s why I calculated the battery capacity required to hold one days worth of fossil fuel use equivalence. Because it could be recharged for the next days use.

You admit being clueless about chemistry ... do you think steel takes no energy? ... you'll just have to drive to Arizona to buy your Ford F-150 Pussy-mobiles ... painted menstrual red ... that should make you poplar at the corner drug store, cowboy ...

Sodium and lithium are very close in their chemical natures ... where we find sodium in abundance, we find lithium in abundance ... just how the universe works my friend ...
So... the world's oceans are filled with lithium?

"Filled" is more a qualitative term, not really a quantitative term.

Oceans are estimated to have approximately 180 Billion tons of lithium.

WW
I was responding, sarcastically, to the comment that where one finds sodium, one finds lithium. The amount of sodium in the world's oceans is estimated at 38,520,392.520 billion tons, 214 times as much.

Last edited:
I just read that Toyota and other companies are continuing to work on hydrogen fuel cells. Toyota thinks they may be a solution for heavy trucks.

I just read that Toyota and other companies are continuing to work on hydrogen fuel cells. Toyota thinks they may be a solution for heavy trucks.
It would be a solution for the idiotic belief you can use lithium batteries to replace ICE for all vehicles.

Have you bought an EV yet?

It would be a solution for the idiotic belief you can use lithium batteries to replace ICE for all vehicles.

Have you bought an EV yet?
I am driving a 2021 Toyota Sienna Hybrid. Have you stopped beating your wife yet?

Currently, there are a few (read very few) hydrogen cars available for purchase. Unfortunately, right now they are just like EV's were 10 years ago (limited production and fairly expensive, with little infrastructure for refueling), but more and more car companies are looking into them.

But, just like the EV's, the more car companies that look into producing and selling them, the better the tech becomes, and the more efficient and cheaper they get.

To tell you the truth? I hope that hydrogen becomes the new "go to" for transportation. They can refuel just as fast as fossil fuel cars, and if there is a good infrastructure for them, they will be able to go anywhere.

The problems stopping hydrogen right now are the same as for EV's, limited refueling options.

Currently, there are a few (read very few) hydrogen cars available for purchase. Unfortunately, right now they are just like EV's were 10 years ago (limited production and fairly expensive, with little infrastructure for refueling), but more and more car companies are looking into them.

But, just like the EV's, the more car companies that look into producing and selling them, the better the tech becomes, and the more efficient and cheaper they get.

To tell you the truth? I hope that hydrogen becomes the new "go to" for transportation. They can refuel just as fast as fossil fuel cars, and if there is a good infrastructure for them, they will be able to go anywhere.

The problems stopping hydrogen right now are the same as for EV's, limited refueling options.
Here is an informative but somewhat disheartening article about fuel cells vs battery electric regarding total efficiency

Forum List

Back