How much is a life worth?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Avatar4321, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,152
    I was listening to Glenn Beck this morning and he made an interesting suggestion. As he thinks that Terri Shiavo(sp?) husband may only be doing this for the money, why not try to buy his rights to her away from him. While i think the idea of this sicko profitting off not killing his wife makes me sick, i was thinking the idea may have some merit since it could end with her remaining alive.

What does everyone else think? I think it may be a good idea with one caveat. if some of the rumors are true and he did not want her to get better because he put her in this condition then he may want her to die regardless because that way he could never be caught. Lets open up the floor for this.

2. SmarterThanYou

SmarterThanYou Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    my opinion on this is that he should be allowed to carry out what he says are his wifes wishes.

this has been a near 15 year process. No evidence suggests criminal activity and while some things smack suspiciously of his intent to maybe profit from his wifes death, there exists no credible proof of this. If we start removing rights because things 'look' wrong, then we're in for a whole heap of problems.

3. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    I agree. I've had the "what would you want if...." talk with the wife. Nothing on paper (mistake), but whos business is it besides ours? As far as I'm concerned, no ones.
    It seems to me the major opposition is from the religious right...all I can say to them is this, if your beliefs are correct, God will sort it all out.

4. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    Husbands and Wives have more authority over that of their respective spouse than other family members. While i'm unsure of the merrits of the Husband - I have a feeling he's a greedy sob, it's still his call.

Mary and I have an understanding -

Should either of us be in a condition like Terri - we entrust the decision to end life-support to the 'gut-feeling' of the other. It's their call. I'd think Mary would take advice/guidance from my parents/family, as well as her parents family, however the call is still hers - regardless.

5. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    SmarterThanYOU

The problem is there is nothing in writing from her of her wishes that was notarized. All we have is heresay... in any court that doens't hold water. You are talking about taking human life, starving her to death on pillow talk.......Sorry doesn't wash.

6. SmarterThanYou

SmarterThanYou Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    the only problem with the 'nothing in writing' argument is that you're now talking about THE most sacred relationship in history....that of husband and wife. read above, others feel the same. That relationship should be inviolate.

7. Joz

Joz Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +221
    Thus the reasoon for a 'living will'. Under such emotional stress the decision to let a spouse go cannot be rationally made. By deciding the outcome for your yourself, it takes the responsibility off your spouse.

8. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Sacred or not it still doesn't hold up in court. If you are referring to this sacred union, I would add there is a lot of evidence from prominent pathologists that examined her to suggest he was abusing her before her near fatal accident, and eye witness testimony from nurses that this "loving man" would ask "when is this bitch going to die". If he really loves her he would be spending the 700,000 dollars he recieved as a settlement from the court to facilitate her rehabilitation., which is specifically what that money was awarded for.

9. SmarterThanYou

SmarterThanYou Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    a wife or husband does not have to testify against them in court specifically because it would violate that relationship. That holds up and so does this.

As far as 'evidence' or statements made, i've never read anything about them. where do these actually exist in public record?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    I dissagree emphatically.