How many people here actually care about discussion?

Make a group, Darkwind.

Why does everything have to be "debated"? Why can't it be just a group of people who agree to disagree on certain things, but still be pleasant? Why is that almost impossible here?

I belong to another board that has had the same online "friends" for over 15 years. Most have never met, but we all know everything about each other, talk about things that should be personal but we know we can talk about them there due to the membership's knowledge of one another, and the admin and mods make sure anyone steps over the line is told to cease...or leave.
That board has been there for a very long time. Yes, familiarity can sometimes breed contempt but that happens in families too.

Sometimes I forget where I am and share too much here...and wind up regretting it. That's a shame. Some good people are here. Really good people. There are also assholes that always make a point to use this place as their punching bag at anyone who happens to be around when they are in a bad mood and need to verbally punch someone else just to feel better about themselves.

Anyway...debate. I don't like debating. I give my opinion, share with others, read their opinions and screw the fighting over who is right or wrong and proof given on why this or that is what is right or wrong and then fisticuffs if someone doesn't agree. Oh, and really nice threads of someone pouring their heart out then some scmuck comes along and shits all over the floor then slings it.
I'm not sure what you mean by create a group. I have the skills and resources to create a forum on a website. But I think that wouldn't really be a good solution.

I am developing a website community that will cater to artistic endeavors, but it will be a few months before I have it ready.

Just wondering. I find that the quality of discussion on this site is often bogged down by people simply trying to "score points" and/or "win" the debate. It seems the majority of posters on here do this. This impedes actual debate and understanding of an issue.

Is there anyone here actually interested in discussing things without worrying about claiming some sort of victory?
You'll have to define it a bit more specifically.

There is discussion and then there is debate.

Then there is what goes on here.

I can have a pleasant discussion with people whom I disagree with politically, and do so all the time.

I can debate people on political issues, and because My positions on these issues arise from an understanding of the issue and an understanding of where My moral compass resides, I do not look for a debate to change My mind, or the change the mind of the other person. I simply stand against incorrect information placed in a public forum. It follows along the lines of, "If it is said enough times, people begin to believe it." Which is a favored tactic of most political parties. My purpose for joining in debate is to be a voice in opposition to those who say they want X when I know X is wrong for Me, for My country, and for My children/grandchildren.

What goes on here is simply name calling and Penis measuring.

Whose cock makes the biggest thud when it hits the table is all most of them care about and they won't back down or admit they were wrong because somehow, they think that doing so means you have lost.

Sorry for the crudity of the image, but that is how I see it.

I hear you. But the most annoying thing I run into is when I'm trying to have an interesting discussion, and someone who's only interested in "winning" comes in and says "oh, you backed yourself into a corner there"

So what? This isn't a competition. I care more about exploring a subject, especially one that isn't often explored, than scoring cheap points. If that makes me "lose" the argument, so be it. I'd rather "lose" and come away enlightened

Eureka! I have found it! Here is the only way to discuss a topic around here without being interrupted by adolescent idiots.

Find someone willing to discuss a topic.

Discuss by Private Messaging each other until you are done with the topic.

THEN....Post all the PMs into a new thread and ask Admin to close it.

:lol:

By making a group, I meant there are groups HERE that you can make for one specific purpose. Instead of it being on the board front itself, one has to go to their control panel and click on MY GROUPS or GROUPS if you already belong to one. It's like a sub forum but is located right here at USMB.

At the top of the page is COMMUNITY. Click that and you will see SOCIAL GROUPS. I do not belong to any at this time because I plan to be picky on who I hang out with. If a known bully or gangbangers in a clique belongs to a group I am invited to, I will not participate. Hence, not belonging to any.

Anyway..this was in response to [MENTION=19727]Darkwind[/MENTION]. Or was it [MENTION=43349]DarkLion[/MENTION]? Sorry if I got you two mixed up.

Eureka! I have found it! Here is the only way to discuss a topic around here without being interrupted by adolescent idiots.

Find someone willing to discuss a topic.

Discuss by Private Messaging each other until you are done with the topic.

THEN....Post all the PMs into a new thread and ask Admin to close it.

:lol:

[MENTION=31178]MeBelle60[/MENTION] and I had a off the beaten path "thread" about common core, which was something I really wanted to talk about and it was freaking awesome.

LOL

By making a group, I meant there are groups HERE that you can make for one specific purpose. Instead of it being on the board front itself, one has to go to their control panel and click on MY GROUPS or GROUPS if you already belong to one. It's like a sub forum but is located right here at USMB.

At the top of the page is COMMUNITY. Click that and you will see SOCIAL GROUPS. I do not belong to any at this time because I plan to be picky on who I hang out with. If a known bully or gangbangers in a clique belongs to a group I am invited to, I will not participate. Hence, not belonging to any.

Anyway..this was in response to [MENTION=19727]Darkwind[/MENTION]. Or was it [MENTION=43349]DarkLion[/MENTION]? Sorry if I got you two mixed up.

This COMPLETELY works.

I belong to one that people that want to share stuff about the topic jump on and put whatever is new up there "quietly" chat about it.

It's all very civilized.

People want the same thing out of the internets that they want out of their news. To have their own opinions regurgitated back at them. So don't hold your breath.

People want the same thing out of the internets that they want out of their news. To have their own opinions regurgitated back at them. So don't hold your breath.
Not I.

My goal is to see if anybody can change my mind. It happens occasionally in real conversation over a bottle of single malt scotch..but not often. More often than not, I go off to bed around daybreak and forget what we were talking about.

In the long run...NOTHING MATTERS!

Anyway..this was in response to @Darkwind. Or was it @DarkLion? Sorry if I got you two mixed up.
It was to Me. I will have to look into that, but right now, I don't have the time or energy to start a group. I may be open to joining one if the conversation is good and the topics are interesting.

Just wondering. I find that the quality of discussion on this site is often bogged down by people simply trying to "score points" and/or "win" the debate. It seems the majority of posters on here do this. This impedes actual debate and understanding of an issue.

Is there anyone here actually interested in discussing things without worrying about claiming some sort of victory?
You'll have to define it a bit more specifically.

There is discussion and then there is debate.

Then there is what goes on here.

I can have a pleasant discussion with people whom I disagree with politically, and do so all the time.

I can debate people on political issues, and because My positions on these issues arise from an understanding of the issue and an understanding of where My moral compass resides, I do not look for a debate to change My mind, or the change the mind of the other person. I simply stand against incorrect information placed in a public forum. It follows along the lines of, "If it is said enough times, people begin to believe it." Which is a favored tactic of most political parties. My purpose for joining in debate is to be a voice in opposition to those who say they want X when I know X is wrong for Me, for My country, and for My children/grandchildren.

What goes on here is simply name calling and Penis measuring.

Whose cock makes the biggest thud when it hits the table is all most of them care about and they won't back down or admit they were wrong because somehow, they think that doing so means you have lost.

Sorry for the crudity of the image, but that is how I see it.

I hear you. But the most annoying thing I run into is when I'm trying to have an interesting discussion, and someone who's only interested in "winning" comes in and says "oh, you backed yourself into a corner there"

So what? This isn't a competition. I care more about exploring a subject, especially one that isn't often explored, than scoring cheap points. If that makes me "lose" the argument, so be it. I'd rather "lose" and come away enlightened
There is one other annoying habit that happens around here frequently.

Stalkers.

You can be having a perfectly reasonable discussion and someone who simply doesn't like you and will go out of their way to disrupt what you are doing (I'll never get that kind of personality, seems pretty anti-social) to make snide comments, or simply start name calling in an effort to disrupt the thread.

Make a group, Darkwind.

Why does everything have to be "debated"? Why can't it be just a group of people who agree to disagree on certain things, but still be pleasant? Why is that almost impossible here?

I belong to another board that has had the same online "friends" for over 15 years. Most have never met, but we all know everything about each other, talk about things that should be personal but we know we can talk about them there due to the membership's knowledge of one another, and the admin and mods make sure anyone steps over the line is told to cease...or leave.
That board has been there for a very long time. Yes, familiarity can sometimes breed contempt but that happens in families too.

Sometimes I forget where I am and share too much here...and wind up regretting it. That's a shame. Some good people are here. Really good people. There are also assholes that always make a point to use this place as their punching bag at anyone who happens to be around when they are in a bad mood and need to verbally punch someone else just to feel better about themselves.

Anyway...debate. I don't like debating. I give my opinion, share with others, read their opinions and screw the fighting over who is right or wrong and proof given on why this or that is what is right or wrong and then fisticuffs if someone doesn't agree. Oh, and really nice threads of someone pouring their heart out then some scmuck comes along and shits all over the floor then slings it.

Do the Netiquette Nannies here allow you to give us a link to that website?

Make a group, Darkwind.

Do the Netiquette Nannies here allow you to give us a link to that website?

No. And even if they did...sometimes, places need to be kept secret.;)

Forum List

Back