CDZ How many of you learned to play card and board games?

Do board games have a lot of permanent death in them? Just asking.

I can't think of any board or card games that involve death. Can you?

Yes. Tons of them:

Arkham Horror
Betrayal at House on the Hill
Elder Signs
Ghost Stories
Ca$h 'n Gun$
Gloomhaven
Last Night on Earth
Zombicide
Secret Hitler

That's just off the top of my head. lol

I doubt you played these games as a child, and I hope you would not play them with your children.

I can't think of any board or card games that involve death. Can you?

Yes. Tons of them:

Arkham Horror
Betrayal at House on the Hill
Elder Signs
Ghost Stories
Ca$h 'n Gun$
Gloomhaven
Last Night on Earth
Zombicide
Secret Hitler

That's just off the top of my head. lol

I doubt you played these games as a child, and I hope you would not play them with your children.

Well no, these are mostly new board games. Some of the aforementioned I wouldn't play with young kids, but there are a few that would be fine.

I'm not certain that gaming is hurting a kid's reasoning ability.

The issue is not whether (video) gaming is hurting a kid's reasoning ability (although you seem willing to accept that risk), but whether it is adding to it.

I don't see how it would add to it, unless it was computer chess or something similar, like the 'brain teaser' and logic puzzle type things you used to have gt books for. Most of the popular ones tend to give its players an imaginary sense of achievement, for one, and can be highly addictive and harmful.

In the military, card games were a way of socializing. Hours of off time playing pinochle. Even got to the point where two decks weren't enough and we went to four. An afternoon sitting on the veranda of a Gasthaus on the bank of the Rhine. Drinking amazing beer.

They're playing video games. Those probably teach probability and how to deal with losing, too.

Not any that I have seen. Even "death" is temporary in these games.

Well....some do have permanent death in them :smoke:

Clue01.jpg

They're playing video games. Those probably teach probability and how to deal with losing, too.

Not any that I have seen. Even "death" is temporary in these games.

Well....some do have permanent death in them :smoke:

Clue01.jpg

Good example, although the players are not involved in the killing. In many video games, it is very personal and graphic.

Forum List

Back