How Many Of You Actually Know What This Famous Christmas Carol Means?

Road Runner

Take Back America In 2024 Vote Trump!
Jun 16, 2021
USA
I confess that I didn't until just now lol I had absolutely no idea what herald angels were and I've been singing this song for Christmas for years ever since I was a kid.

XD I would have guessed that it meant holy, but it turns out that the official definition is bringing news to others which makes perfect sense since the angels brought the news of Jesus' birth.

I confess that I didn't until just now lol I had absolutely no idea what herald angels were and I've been singing this song for Christmas for years ever since I was a kid.

XD I would have guessed that it meant holy, but it turns out that the official definition is bringing news to others which makes perfect sense since the angels brought the news of Jesus' birth.

Long ago----when I was six------we had to repeat "THE LORD's PRAYER" in school---
I had the misfortune of being situated next to a kid who---EVERY MORNING---
instead of "hallowed be thy name" said "HAROLD BE THY NAME" I never got
over it

• Banned
Long ago----when I was six------we had to repeat "THE LORD's PRAYER" in school---
over it

Umm yeah,... I was so totally not one of those kids. 🤥

• Banned
I'm a bit surprised that you didn't know that.

Well by the definition and using context clues it should be easy to understand why one might think that herald meant holy.

Wow! The secret of what the Herald Angels were singing about is finally solved! Thanks OP, I'm marking that one solved.

Actually it doesn't have to do with what the angels were singing about it's about what herald angels actually are,... Messengers.

Yes. I knew...

• Banned
Btw, my fiancee didn't know what herald actually meant either for the record so you learn something new every day. 🙂

Btw, my fiancee didn't know what herald actually meant either for the record so you learn something new every day. 🙂
Strange. Considering the many "newspapers" that literally name themselves the "Such, and Such Herald". Our schools need to do better.

Well by the definition and using context clues it should be easy to understand why one might think that herald meant holy.

Actually it doesn't have to do with what the angels were singing about it's about what herald angels actually are,... Messengers.
Don't you ever watch old movies about the middle ages kings and queens? They herald always announced the news.

Don't you ever watch old movies about the middle ages kings and queens? They herald always announced the news.
The song actually depicts him doing exactly what his title means he does. I guess I didn't realize that "Herald", was an obscure word many don't really understand.

I confess that I didn't until just now lol I had absolutely no idea what herald angels were

Yes, RR, a herald is a messenger, a bringer of information, announcements, or news. So the herald angels were bringing news of the New King.

A lot of newspapers used to have the word "herald" in their name for that reason.

Huh?

Where did you grow up? curious - What Christian church?

over it
It is based on the Gospel of Luke 21:
8 And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. 9 An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. 10 But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. 11 Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. 12 This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.”

13 Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying,

14 “Glory to God in the highest heaven,
and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.”
15 When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, “Let’s go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about.” . . .

Nowhere in Scriptures is there any reference to the angels singing. But music being such an important component of human culture for millenia, it was only natural for the hymnists to translate 'saying' into 'singing'. I put that into the category of if it isn't true, it ought to be. :) But yes, the angels were the heralds to the shepherds to tell them that the Savior of the world is born.

Forum List

Back