How Many of us Remember Homes Like This?

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
screen-shot-2014-10-11-at-11-00-56-pm.png

Sitting there watching the world go by. Saying hello and actually talking with your neighbors. All the kids on the block knowing one another and popping in and out of each others homes without hesitation.

This article indicates it still exists in places. He centers this on Pittsburgh but it makes me wonder how many similar places there are across the country.

Read story @ Family Friendly Cities | Newgeography.com

We are still one. S.E. AZ.
Any neighbor that needs help we are all there for them.

We have a club house where we have regular get-togethers, pot luck and barbeque's.
Weekly Bible study for those that want it.

Last edited:
Lots of places like that. Best way to find them is by taking long road trips that stay far away from Interstates.

I remember those days. You could sleep at night with your windows and doors open ... well, here in the South if you didn't have air conditioners it could be miserable all locked up. Right now I live in a small town and my observation has been that it's pretty much a crime free place. I'm in an apartment complex that is outstanding in keeping the place clean and in good repair, trouble makers are pretty much told to voluntarily move out or go the eviction route. The kids have a huge playground with modern equipment and plenty of grass left for other pursuits. It's clearly visible to all tenants and a lot of parents are out there playing with kids. And people do congregate to socialize.

Lots of places like that. Best way to find them is by taking long road trips that stay far away from Interstates.

We are ten miles from an Interstate.
I did not mean that every town not near an interstate was like old fashioned small town America. I meant that a road trip, which usually means traveling a significant distance, that takes a route through the countryside of America and visits many little towns will probably lead to finding places that are very much like old fashioned small town America.

since i live in a 'village' and the pisgah national forest we are pretty much there....
OK, you live in paradise and near a foot path that will take you south to Georgia and if you want a longer walk, north to Maine, all through beautiful forest.

Now, now, Camp. Bones is on the other side of the mountain from me and I'm about 4 miles off the interstate. Every time I'm eastbound on I-40 those mountains of hers take my breath away. I've done the city thing - love NYC, but I wouldn't want to live there. Love Buffalo - they have awesome ethnic festivals ... and hot dogs. I don't miss the winters, though.

Now, now, Camp. Bones is on the other side of the mountain from me and I'm about 4 miles off the interstate. Every time I'm eastbound on I-40 those mountains of hers take my breath away. I've done the city thing - love NYC, but I wouldn't want to live there. Love Buffalo - they have awesome ethnic festivals ... and hot dogs. I don't miss the winters, though.
Years ago I hiked that area, twice. Fond memories. I revisited the area on a long motorcycle trip a few years ago also.

Years ago I hiked that area, twice. Fond memories. I revisited the area on a long motorcycle trip a few years ago also.

Did you do the Dragon?

These kind of houses were adorable. They just had a perfect out-sitting and actually made many aspects at that period of time. We can see this kind of houses today also, but many of us are having the idea of a safe house. So in todays generation the houses are packed with the impact windows and doors. To establish a new home renovation techniques impact windows coral springs also makes the best of securing the home with the absolutely fantastic replacement window items.

It use to be like this everywhere when I was a kid.
In those days when there was an illness or death in the family - neighbors would bring by food.
Kids protected their neighborhoods, not damage them.

We are still one. S.E. AZ.
Any neighbor that needs help we are all there for them.

We have a club house where we have regular get-togethers, pot luck and barbeque's.
Weekly Bible study for those that want it.

In the late 70s I went to grade school with a girl who with her family , lived in a old run down school bus .

I have seen some poor people in my time.

Shadow 355

Forum List

Back