How many blame republicans?

the fact remains: a majority of congressional democrats thought it was a bad idea to invade, conquer and oppupy Iraq in order to effect regime change and to rid Saddam of his (non-existent) stockpiles of WMD's.

try as they might, republicans cannot change the fact that they overwhelmingly supported our invasion of Iraq to rid Saddam of weapons he didn't have, and that invasion has had enormous easily calculated costs in blood and treasure, and not many calculable benefits.

Prior to the invasion of Iraq, Saddam and his secular baathists stood as a bulwark minimizing Iran's plans for regional theocratic hegemony. Now, Iraq is run by a shiite majority sympathetic to Iran and will, in all probability, closely align themselves with Iran upon our eventual departure.
Were you still active-duty then, Commander?
Whether you were, or not...are you going to sit there and tell me you weren't chanting, "Bomb those fuckers!" when it was all going down??

I retired in '93, and no, I was appalled that we unleashed shock and awe on an arab city's population that had done NOTHING to harm us on 9/11.

I spent two years on active duty in Lebanon with the UN contingent there and I KNOW that the arab world's opinion of the USA is nowhere near as monolithic and negative and violent as the Bush administration would have had us believe.

The citizens of Baghdad were NOT our enemies, but now, as a result of our invading, conquering, and occupying their country.... many of them are.

I was 100% behind our early actions in Afghanistan and volunteered to go back on active duty to participate in that action. I have been dead set against our war in Iraq since before it started.

With the Iraq war among the various factions still going on, and the US still plunked right in the middle of it, the only accomplishments were the outrageous cost in lives and treasure and the fact that the invasion has resulted in pissing off every al-Qaeda wannabe all over the globe so that we now have to be afraid of every backpack inadvertently left in a subway station. And pray a lot.

And Mags links to a winger site as proof... go figure.... but sorry mags, what you have posted is not proof of your assertion

Which one? Are you referring to Mother Jones? If you look carefully, their material is linked to other material, which is why I chose it. There are a ton of others. Shall I indulge you?

DiamondDave said:
jill... you have been told before to stop posting about some debunked surplus... THERE WAS NO FUCKING SURPLUS and you have been shown this over and over and over again

She's been "told"??? Who the fuck made you God? There was indeed a B.U.D.G.E.T surplus. It is you and your ilk who constantly confuse that with deficit reduction, which did not happen.

You're claiming a myth as truth.... Hey... I know.... you make 40K a year, and spend 80K, but figure you can borrow from mom an additional 40K to cover... and you consider that breaking even too I bet :rolleyes: or maybe if you don't write a purchase in your checkbook, it really isn't spending, right?? :rolleyes:

There was no surplus.. we have (as shown by the motherfucking facts so many motherfucking times) not had a surplus since 1957... this is a cold hard and ABSOLUTE fact

It is your kind who refuse to look at a little thing called intergovernmental spending that was PURPOSELY left off the books while claiming this mythical surplus...

Epic fail, mags... epic fail

When you start assuming you know ALL ABOUT ME, and lacing your comments with one obscenity after another, it is your credibility that fails, genius.

Are you also aware that the Republicans tried to regulate Freddy Mac and Fanny Mae in 2003,2005,2006? But they did not have enough power to stop any Democratic fillabuster.

Dear GOP: Fannie, Freddie Did Not Cause the Financial Crisis | Mother Jones
A report (pdf) by the Government Accountability Office, the non-partisan investigatory arm of Congress, supports all these arguments. According to the GAO report, Fannie and Freddie didn't go wild in the mid-2000s buying up mortgages in the secondary market because of some government mandate, like the 1977 Community Reinvestment Act, to increase homeownership among low-income Americans. On the contrary, "Former [Federal Housing Finance Agency] Director [James] Lockhart stated that the enterprises’ primary motivation in purchasing [Alt-A and subprime mortgage backed] assets was to restore their share of the mortgage market, which declined substantially from 2004 through 2007 as the 'nontraditional' (for example, subprime) mortgage market rapidly increased in size. FHFA further stated that the enterprises viewed such mortgage assets as offering attractive risk-adjusted returns." In other words, they wanted to be bigger players in the mortgage business again, to make money where they thought they could—not because Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.) or some other politician told them what to do.

Much more at the link, all sourced material.

Don't have time to go to the link but (see the part I colored red) do the initials CYA mean anything to you?

The reasons as to why they did it are immaterial. They did it. That is all that matters.

The housing market collapsed. There are many reasons for that one of which is simply that the bubble had to burst eventually. It will, eventually, recover. One thing I wonder about is if things hadn't turned sour, would those that are throwing around blame be patting those that did this on the back and congratulating them for "a job well done"?

Prayerfully, I can hold out long enough for the market to recover.

Immie

I'm not disputing F&F aren't in this mess, but there continues to be a large proportion of the far right who think they are ALL at fault, which couldn't be further from the truth. At least once a day on C-Span's Washington Journal, someone will claim that as gospel and of course with no one to refute the claim, a million more people who are listening will believe it. THAT'S what makes me angry.

The financial reform package still wending its way through Congress doesn't deal with Fannie & Freddie yet. Supposedly there will be an entire proposed fix for them, but I don't know what that will be. I actually hope they just allow the agency to fold.

I'm not sure that some of the far right even understand what Fannie and Freddie are supposed to do.

That's true. They were never out on the street peddling mortgages like Countryside and all the others that filled our TV screens 24/7. They guaranteed those mortgages, which is where they took the hit.

I'm not sure that some of the far right even understand what Fannie and Freddie are supposed to do.

You would think that with every economist and politician, both on the right and the left, saying the cause of the economic collapse was a deregulated Wall Street, they would quit with the "Freddie/Fannie".

Try to explain, "Wall Street took control of most of the mortgage market, gave the mortgages away, bundled them, sold them as securities, had the securities insured, and when the "securities" tanked, collected the insurance money", and they still don't get it.

Do they even wonder why insurance giants failed?

But oh no, it's all Barney Frank, Freddie and Fannie. How do you get through? I think it's just wasted effort.

Next, they will be telling us Iraq is a "success".

I wonder what they'll say about Iraq after we are kicked out and forced to leave a rebuilt oil industry? Won't that be a shocker?

Well I can tell you what will be the common mantra once we do leave Iraq and Afghanistan and that will be that the Democrats "quit and left all those people helpless and dying."

You would think that with every economist and politician, both on the right and the left, saying the cause of the economic collapse was a deregulated Wall Street, they would quit with the "Freddie/Fannie".

Try to explain, "Wall Street took control of most of the mortgage market, gave the mortgages away, bundled them, sold them as securities, had the securities insured, and when the "securities" tanked, collected the insurance money", and they still don't get it.

But oh no, it's all Barney Frank, Freddie and Fannie. How do you get through? I think it's just wasted effort.

I wonder what they'll say about Iraq after we are kicked out and forced to leave a rebuilt oil industry? Won't that be a shocker?

Provide a link for your claim that "every economist and politician, both on the right and the left, saying the cause of the economic collapse was a deregulated Wall Street".

Mr. Roberts, who follows the free-market Hayek school of economics, argues in a new paper that almost any attempt to reform the nation’s financial regulatory structure will fail to prevent another crisis, as the government will continue to limit the downside risk to both Main Street and Wall Street, encouraging reckless behavior.

THE FANNIE-FREDDIE BAILOUT - DealBook Blog - NYTimes.com

Is Wall Street really to blame for the economic collapse? - The Highland County Press - Hillsboro, Ohio

Put aside the philosophical analyses, and just watch and listen to how it was done straight from those who did it.

CNBC Originals S01E13: House of Cards: Full Episode - MovieWeb

Provide a link for your claim that "every economist and politician, both on the right and the left, saying the cause of the economic collapse was a deregulated Wall Street".

Mr. Roberts, who follows the free-market Hayek school of economics, argues in a new paper that almost any attempt to reform the nation’s financial regulatory structure will fail to prevent another crisis, as the government will continue to limit the downside risk to both Main Street and Wall Street, encouraging reckless behavior.

Is Wall Street really to blame for the economic collapse? - The Highland County Press - Hillsboro, Ohio

Put aside the philosophical analyses, and just watch and listen to how it was done straight from those who did it.

CNBC Originals S01E13: House of Cards: Full Episode - MovieWeb

excellent documentary....i've viewed it twice

Dear GOP: Fannie, Freddie Did Not Cause the Financial Crisis | Mother Jones
A report (pdf) by the Government Accountability Office, the non-partisan investigatory arm of Congress, supports all these arguments. According to the GAO report, Fannie and Freddie didn't go wild in the mid-2000s buying up mortgages in the secondary market because of some government mandate, like the 1977 Community Reinvestment Act, to increase homeownership among low-income Americans. On the contrary, "Former [Federal Housing Finance Agency] Director [James] Lockhart stated that the enterprises’ primary motivation in purchasing [Alt-A and subprime mortgage backed] assets was to restore their share of the mortgage market, which declined substantially from 2004 through 2007 as the 'nontraditional' (for example, subprime) mortgage market rapidly increased in size. FHFA further stated that the enterprises viewed such mortgage assets as offering attractive risk-adjusted returns." In other words, they wanted to be bigger players in the mortgage business again, to make money where they thought they could—not because Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.) or some other politician told them what to do.

Much more at the link, all sourced material.

Don't have time to go to the link but (see the part I colored red) do the initials CYA mean anything to you?

The reasons as to why they did it are immaterial. They did it. That is all that matters.

The housing market collapsed. There are many reasons for that one of which is simply that the bubble had to burst eventually. It will, eventually, recover. One thing I wonder about is if things hadn't turned sour, would those that are throwing around blame be patting those that did this on the back and congratulating them for "a job well done"?

Immie

I'm not disputing F&F aren't in this mess, but there continues to be a large proportion of the far right who think they are ALL at fault, which couldn't be further from the truth. At least once a day on C-Span's Washington Journal, someone will claim that as gospel and of course with no one to refute the claim, a million more people who are listening will believe it. THAT'S what makes me angry.

The financial reform package still wending its way through Congress doesn't deal with Fannie & Freddie yet. Supposedly there will be an entire proposed fix for them, but I don't know what that will be. I actually hope they just allow the agency to fold.

My unresearched and definitely not completely informed on the issue opinion is that there are too many factors that go into the market collapse to put the blame on any sole reason let alone any one party or politician.

Immie

Immie

My unresearched and definitely not completely informed on the issue opinion is that there are too many factors that go into the market collapse to put the blame on any sole reason let alone any one party or politician.

Immie

'Tis true, but unfortunately, the only game in town these days is the blame game.

Immie

'Tis true, but unfortunately, the only game in town these days is the blame game.

Politics as usual.

Immie

For all those people who defend Freddy Mac and Fanny Mae, and try to say that it wasn't the fall of Freddy and Fanny that caused the Economy to collaspe. Answer this one simple questioin why did the democratic control congress refuse to have both of them investigated?

Last edited:

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU??????

The link you post starts off with, "To start with, let me admit that I am not an economist. I have a limited understanding of derivatives, macroeconomics, and Wall Street."

If you are going to post links, READ THEM FIRST, otherwise, you get people like me reading them and wondering, "What the Fuck"?

The whole problem is Murkins.
They are so brainwashed they rip each other apart while the politicos laugh, all the way to the bank.
You destroy yourselves.
Success !

For all those people who defend Freddy Mac and Fanny Mae, and try to say that it wasn't the fall of Freddy and Fanny that caused the Economy to collaspe. Answer this one simple questioin why did the democratic control congress refuse to have both of them investigated?

first...

give us a link that shows a democratically controlled congress refused to have them investigated....

first...

give us a link that shows a democratically controlled congress refused to have them investigated....

Did you see CEO'S from Freddy or Fanny at any Congressional hearing's?
Hot Air Democrats refuse to talk about Fannie, Freddie in Oversight hearing
House Democrats Duck Investigating "Toxic Twins" at the Heart of the Mortgage Meltdown | Republican Leader John Boehner

Last edited:
What did Bill Clinton say about Iraq.....?

"One way or the other, we are determined to deny Iraq the capacity to develop weapons of mass destruction and the missiles to deliver them. That is our bottom line." --President Bill Clinton, Feb. 4, 1998

"If Saddam rejects peace and we have to use force, our purpose is clear. We want to seriously diminish the threat posed by Iraq's weapons of mass destruction program." --President Bill Clinton, Feb. 17, 1998

Want more ?
So Bush had this informatiion that clinton had so clinton lied to Bush.

What he's saying is that Bush didn't believe Clinton when Clinton left a document that "An Attack was Imminent by al Qaeda", but Bush did believe that Saddam had WMDs. This is why Bush attacked Iraq instead of going after Bin Laden. He was so fucking stupid, that he was "confused" by Bill Clinton.

IS THAT WHAT WE ARE SUPPOSED TO BELIEVE?

Oh these white wingers. They are insane.

Clinton when Clinton left a document that "An Attack was Imminent by al Qaeda"....

..Haha....clever, but alas, it never happened, except in your wild imagination.

Democrats voted for the war because the Bush administration said they had "proof" of:

And the most fantastic part of it all, Bush fooled those well educated and Washington experienced Democrats even before he got there...he must have been a fuckin' genius...

"[W]e urge you, after consulting with Congress, and consistent with the U.S. Constitution and laws, to take necessary actions (including, if appropriate, air and missile strikes on suspect Iraqi sites) to respond effectively to the threat posed by Iraq's refusal to end its weapons of mass destruction programs." Letter to President Clinton, signed by: -- Democratic Senators Carl Levin, Tom Daschle, John Kerry, and others, Oct. 9, 1998

"Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to countries in the region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process." -Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA), Dec. 16, 1998

"Hussein has ... chosen to spend his money on building weapons of mass destruction and palaces for his cronies." -- Madeline Albright, Clinton Secretary of State, Nov. 10, 1999

"Saddam Hussein has not developed any significant capability with respect to weapons of mass destruction. He is unable to project conventional power against his neighbors."
~~ Colin Powell, at a 2/24/01 meeting with Egypt's Foreign Minister

"But in terms of Saddam Hussein being there, let's remember that his country is divided, in effect. He does not control the northern part of his country. We are able to keep arms from him. His military forces have not been rebuilt."
~~Condoleezza Rice, 07/29/01, on CNN

So...two key players in the invasion of Iraq as a result of the attacks of 911, and nobody paid any attention to what they were saying months before.

And yet, well after the Rice and Powell quotes, the democrats were STILL ranting and raving about Iraq and Saddam....from the ex-VP on down the line...

"There is no doubt that ... Saddam Hussein has reinvigorated his weapons programs. Reports indicate that biological, chemical and nuclear programs continue apace and may be back to pre-Gulf War status. In addition, Saddam continues to redefine delivery systems and is doubtless using the cover of a licit missile program to develop longer-range missiles that will threaten the United States and our allies." Letter to President Bush, Signed by: -- Sen. Bob Graham (D, FL), and others, Dec 5, 2001

"We begin with the common belief that Saddam Hussein is a tyrant and a threat to the peace and stability of the region. He has ignored the mandate of the United Nations and is building weapons of mass destruction and th! e means of delivering them." -- Sen. Carl Levin (D, MI), Sept. 19, 2002

"We know that he has stored secret supplies of biological and chemical weapons throughout his country." -- Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002

"Iraq's search for weapons of mass destruction has proven impossible to deter and we should assume that it will continue for as long as Saddam is in power." -- Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002

"We have known for many years that Saddam Hussein is seeking and developing weapons of mass destruction." -- Sen. Ted Kennedy (D, MA), Sept. 27, 2002

"The last UN weapons inspectors left Iraq in October of 1998. We are confident that Saddam Hussein retains some stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons, and that he has since embarked on a crash course to build up his chemical and biological warfare capabilities. Intelligence reports indicate that he is seeking nuclear weapons..." -- Sen. Robert Byrd (D, WV), Oct. 3, 2002

"I will be voting to give the President of the United States the authority to use force -- if necessary -- to disarm Saddam Hussein because I believe that a deadly arsenal of weapons of mass destruction in his hands is a real and grave threat to our security." -- Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Oct. 9, 2002

"There is unmistakable evidence that Saddam Hussein is working aggressively to develop nuclear weapons and will likely have nuclear weapons within the next five years ... We also should remember we have always underestimated the progress Saddam has made in development of weapons of mass destruction." -- Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D, WV), Oct 10, 2002

"He has systematically violated, over the course of the past 11 years, every significant UN resolution that has demanded that he disarm and destroy his chemical and biological weapons, and any nuclear capacity. This he has refused to do" -- Rep. Henry Waxman (D, CA), Oct. 10, 2002

"In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including al Qaeda members ... It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons." -- Sen. Hillary Clinton (D, NY), Oct 10, 2002

"We are in possession of what I think to be compelling evidence that Saddam Hussein has, and has had for a number of years, a developing capacity for the production and storage of weapons of mass destruction." -- Sen. Bob Graham (D, FL), Dec. 8, 2002

noine of those democrats ordered men into battle to rid Saddam of those weapons that he just so happened NOT to have. that was ALL Bush:razz:

Forum List

Back