How LWIR warms the atmosphere

Stefan-Boltzmann Law
E = sigma T^4 Where sigma = 5.670367 × 10^−8 watt per meter^2 per K^4

This law lets us calculate how much thermal energy ANY object is radiating. Notice that the temperature or nature or configuration of the object's surroundings DO NOT APPEAR.

The thing is, when the global warming didn't come, they changed the term to "climate change." That way, it's the end of the world no matter how hot or cold it is outside.

Odd that someone with a masters degree in atmospheric physics would not know what I find in freshman level study guide.

Thought Questions for METR 104: Our Dynamic Weather

How much must we lower CO2 to stop climate change from ever happening again?

0%.

In fact we have to have no atmosphere at all. Or a sun.

That is wrong. We're not trying to stop climate change. We're trying to stop anthropogenic global warming. We need lower levels of GHGs to do that: 280 ppm of CO2 and 750 ppb of methane would be good targets. What do you think? Or do you?

• Thanks
Reactions: cnm
The thing is, when the global warming didn't come, they changed the term to "climate change." That way, it's the end of the world no matter how hot or cold it is outside.

That comment was so stupid the first time I heard it I damn near kicked the slats out of my crib.

Hasn't gotten any better.

All lousy weather and events are blamed on "global warming" or "climate change" including the recent California forest fires.

But guess what? It's more than 10 years since Gore predicted the end of the world in 10 years, and we're all still here!

All lousy weather and events are blamed on "global warming" or "climate change" including the recent California forest fires.

But guess what? It's more than 10 years since Gore predicted the end of the world in 10 years, and we're all still here!

Gore never predicted "the end of the world". Besides, Gore is not a scientist.

What the scientists tell us is that global warming changes the odds of certain environmental events: wildfires, droughts, flooding (particularly coastal), hurricanes, extreme precipitation, etc, etc, etc. Those predictions are coming true.

Odd that someone with a masters degree in atmospheric physics would not know what I find in freshman level study guide.

I should think you could figure this out on your own Frank. 280 ppm would be nice. What do you think?

The climate never changed in 1880? No storms, fires or hurricanes?

I should think you could figure this out on your own Frank. 280 ppm would be nice. What do you think?

What do you have China down for? What's their targeted reduction for 2019?

Who the fuck ever said there would be no more weather? You're trying (badly) to put words in my mouth Frank and I don't care for it at all.

Stefan-Boltzmann Law

This law lets us calculate how much thermal energy ANY object is radiating. Notice that the temperature or nature or configuration of the object's surroundings DO NOT APPEAR.
Just STOP... You have no clue what the S/B theroy states. Hell you don't even know that S/B is a 0 atmosphere equation..

:auiqs.jpg::auiqs.jpg::auiqs.jpg::auiqs.jpg::auiqs.jpg::auiqs.jpg::auiqs.jpg:

Do you or do you not accept SSDD's one-way heat transfer nonsense?

Stefan-Boltzmann Law

The correct form of that equation is

SB%20Law_zpshaofhics.gif

Tell me, what is the area of the gas in the atmosphere?

And never mind the fact that version of the SB law is for a perfect black body radiating alone in a perfect vacuum...the version of that equation for a radiator radiating in the presence of other matter is
CodeCogsEqn_zps2e7aca9c.gif
and again...what is the area of the gasses in the atmosphere?

There is a reason the SB law may not be properly used on gasses... Does that A give you a clue?

Can you explain on a molecular level how matter does what you claim it does regarding heat transfer? Do you have any answer besides the "fucking magic we'll never understand" bullshit you've given us in the past? And could you explain why we should accept an explanation with such bullshit requirements when the same result is obtained when one accepts the far simpler and completely understood tenet that all matter radiates all the time in all directions?

Forum List

Back