How long have you been following politics?

I was expecting more people to jump in and say that we finally need an organized Independent Party since choosing a new administration seems to be all about party-first once a new president gets to butt heads with his congress. That's where they ALL get in trouble.

I was going to join a third party once, the Anarchist party. I went to a couple of meetings, but they were just to disorganized for me.:lol::lol::lol:
(that's humor for those that are sensitive)

Since the Carter era.

Then the basics for others to digest are that Carter was elected because of extreme frustration because of Nixon. Reagan was elected because of extreme frustration because of Carter. Bush41 was elected because he was the incumbent vice president and vowed no new taxes but reneged on that promise as Reagan's economy began to tank. Clinton was elected because "It's the economy, stupid." Bush43 was elected because of Clinton's sexcapades and Gore was ineffective in making his own stand. Obama was elected by the promise to make domestic issues a priority.

So although there was plenty in between that people need to be aware of, the above brief scenario seems to indicate that for a long time now people have been looking for some kind of balance, but instead jump to the person who promises dramatic and immediate "change" when in reality, that is simply not possible. It's always a long slog.

That's a pretty good synopsis. I rarely follow the crowd and typically make fun of those who do. Like for instance anyone who voted for Obama. Here's what I think of them:

that_obama_sticker_on_your_car_bumper_sticker-p128138767282069859tmn6_400.jpg

My parents pushed me to start getting informed since the age of 7 or so. I got into politics a bit (as far as someone on my age level could), quit for a while, got back into it in 2000, went into hibernation in early 2001, got back in around 9/11, hibernation again in early 2002, got back into it again when OIF was about to happen, took another break in the late summer, then got back into it when I heard Saddam was captured on the radio. And then the 2004 Elections. I haven't looked back since.

I've been following them at one level or another since the 1988 election season. I was 8 years old.

1984 when Mondale/Ferraro ran, my first vote ever was that year. I've been hooked ever since..

So far, I'm not seeing much of a pattern here. Maybe the question was too generalized. Anyone have a better suggestion?

I'm trying to get at why certain people have such strong emotions about THIS administration and whether or not they have always had such interest and if so, how much knowledge they have of history which formulated their opinions.

Early sixties personally, but have studied politics back to the time of our revolution.

So far, I'm not seeing much of a pattern here. Maybe the question was too generalized. Anyone have a better suggestion?

I'm trying to get at why certain people have such strong emotions about THIS administration and whether or not they have always had such interest and if so, how much knowledge they have of history which formulated their opinions.

Why wouldn't people have strong emotions about this administration? You're either part of the Kool-aid drinking crowd that still believe in the 'transparent-hopey-changy' mantras or you see Obama as just another inexperienced and dishonest politician.

I've followed politics since I was a kid, and first noticed it during the Carter-Ford election. My parents were Republican, so I became one too.

I remember watching, and enjoying, a lot of Reagan's speeches.

I got truly active in politics following 9/11.

I was neutral during my Marine Corps enlistment (1960-64). As soon as I got out there was the election of 64, and I began searching for printed material. Some books and pamphlets:

The Consciences of a Conservative - Barry Goldwater
'68 - A Novel of Presidential Politics - Peter Scaevola

By ’66 my friends and our girl friends were huge fans of “Firing Line,” a political debate forum hosted by Wm F. Buckley
We talked a lot about Ayn Rand’s novels, but I never took time to read them, thinking them to be a little too histrionic.

The campus of IU was a hotbed of radical political chic. But in 1967, some conservatives at IU, including R Emmett Tyrell, founded The Alternative (It later became The American Spectator moving to D.C. - I subscribed to both T.A. and T.A.S.)

My whole family leaned left, and at the time I read left political material like Margaret Halsey’s book The corrupted giant, a 1964 book speculating on the corruption of politics taking aim at the right. Scaevola’s novel ’68 was also left leaning.

The 64 election was the first general election I was of voting age for and I voted in that one and every subsequent general and primary election since.

Why wouldn't people have strong emotions about this administration? You're either part of the Kool-aid drinking crowd that still believe in the 'transparent-hopey-changy' mantras or you see Obama as just another inexperienced and dishonest politician.

PolitiFact | Sorting out the truth in politics

I was neutral during my Marine Corps enlistment (1960-64). As soon as I got out there was the election of 64, and I began searching for printed material. Some books and pamphlets:

The Consciences of a Conservative - Barry Goldwater
'68 - A Novel of Presidential Politics - Peter Scaevola

By ’66 my friends and our girl friends were huge fans of “Firing Line,” a political debate forum hosted by Wm F. Buckley
We talked a lot about Ayn Rand’s novels, but I never took time to read them, thinking them to be a little too histrionic.

The campus of IU was a hotbed of radical political chic. But in 1967, some conservatives at IU, including R Emmett Tyrell, founded The Alternative (It later became The American Spectator moving to D.C. - I subscribed to both T.A. and T.A.S.)

My whole family leaned left, and at the time I read left political material like Margaret Halsey’s book The corrupted giant, a 1964 book speculating on the corruption of politics taking aim at the right. Scaevola’s novel ’68 was also left leaning.

The 64 election was the first general election I was of voting age for and I voted in that one and every subsequent general and primary election since.

Goldwater and Buckley conservatism is long gone, I'm afraid. Thanks for your input. I'm sure whatever your political persuasion today is justified by historical perspective, and I appreciate that.

Forum List

Back