How long have you been following politics?

MaggieMae

Reality bits
Apr 3, 2009
I'm just curious. If people will be honest, did you start following Washington politics as far back as Reagan or before? Clinton? Bush? Obama?

If you think the question would give away your age, then the question would be have you studied the histories of the presidencies so that you have a grasp of how transition from one to another flows? The makeup of their respective problems and legislative activity surrounding those?

The reason I'm asking is that an awful lot of members here don't seem to have the first clue about the actual process of government (civics 101), which leads me to believe they think that all of our current troubles only began in the last decade (and even last year).

[Memo to Mods: Move this to wherever would be the most appropriate place, since I don't know where that would be.]

Since the Carter era.

Then the basics for others to digest are that Carter was elected because of extreme frustration because of Nixon. Reagan was elected because of extreme frustration because of Carter. Bush41 was elected because he was the incumbent vice president and vowed no new taxes but reneged on that promise as Reagan's economy began to tank. Clinton was elected because "It's the economy, stupid." Bush43 was elected because of Clinton's sexcapades and Gore was ineffective in making his own stand. Obama was elected by the promise to make domestic issues a priority.

So although there was plenty in between that people need to be aware of, the above brief scenario seems to indicate that for a long time now people have been looking for some kind of balance, but instead jump to the person who promises dramatic and immediate "change" when in reality, that is simply not possible. It's always a long slog.

Basically never really followed or became involved until I went into the military... then it became all too real of how it effected me, my family, my job, etc....

Voted in 88 but did not follow carefully and consider that my wasted vote.... when I voted in 92, I took it much more seriously.... in 96 I was more informed and really started questioning why my core beliefs did not line up with the DEMs, and very few REPs and I gravitated more toward conservatism over party

Since Carter. Thats when I realized what an inept Prez looked like. Jeeze.

How about that I did not take politics seriously until I saw John Kerry and vowed not to let thsat charlatan win the Presidentcy.

John Kerry was probably the first politician to make my stomach turn. And I am not a conservative or consider myself right wing(or left wing for that matter).

Something about Kerry set me off.

Oh--I did follow Reagan, Bush 41, Clinton and so forth, but I did not take it seriously until I saw Kerry's campaigning!!

1967, although I could not vote until 1972. My grandfather raised me and was very political, although he refused to belong to any political party. My grandfather was the mayor of our town for 2 terms, separated by 10 years. I have attempted to uphold that as a family tradition my entire life. I have served one term on a town council, and one term on a county board of commissions and one term on a planning and zoning commission. I belong to no political party.

I'm just curious. If people will be honest, did you start following Washington politics as far back as Reagan or before? Clinton? Bush? Obama?

If you think the question would give away your age, then the question would be have you studied the histories of the presidencies so that you have a grasp of how transition from one to another flows? The makeup of their respective problems and legislative activity surrounding those?

The reason I'm asking is that an awful lot of members here don't seem to have the first clue about the actual process of government (civics 101), which leads me to believe they think that all of our current troubles only began in the last decade (and even last year).

[Memo to Mods: Move this to wherever would be the most appropriate place, since I don't know where that would be.]

I got into fistfights with my fellow clasmates on the schoolyard over whether Kennedy was going to let the POPE run the nation in second grade.

Back in those days, of course, boys could still get into scuffles with each other and nobody got sent to the shrink to deal with their anger managment issues.

Better times, those.

I was expecting more people to jump in and say that we finally need an organized Independent Party since choosing a new administration seems to be all about party-first once a new president gets to butt heads with his congress. That's where they ALL get in trouble.

I got into fistfights with my fellow clasmates on the schoolyard over whether Kennedy was going to let the POPE run the nation in second grade.

Back in those days, of course, boys could still get into scuffles with each other and nobody got sent to the shrink to deal with their anger managment issues.

Better times, those.

Back in those days, at the age of 8, I would wake up in the morning on a saturday, say to my mom..."cya at dinner" and leave for the day. No cell phones, no beepers...no cares...no worries.

Nowadays, my wife and I would need to answer to child protective services if we let our children do that.

Yes...better times, those.

I was expecting more people to jump in and say that we finally need an organized Independent Party since choosing a new administration seems to be all about party-first once a new president gets to butt heads with his congress. That's where they ALL get in trouble.

I believe the better solution would be voters waking up and not voting with only their heart and their eyes.
Too few vote with their heads.

Forum List

Back