How John Did Bolton became a target of the pro-Trump Internet

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by EvilEyeFleegle, Jan 29, 2020.

1. EvilEyeFleegle

EvilEyeFleegle Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,876
    Pretty cool op/ed...^^^warning^^^ it's the WaPo...so those who indulge in tin foil hats might want to button up!

Anatomy of a ‘smear’: How John Bolton became a target of the pro-Trump Internet

Describes a phenom we here see in action all the time---how do you feel about it?

A brief quote:

"The attacks, which unfolded vividly in the 24 hours after it became clear Bolton had potentially damaging information to share, crescendoed on conservative podcasts and cable television, as individual catchphrases — such as “Book Deal Bolton” — gained currency across the far-right firmament. By Tuesday, they offered a case study in how the pro-Trump Internet targets a perceived enemy, even an archconservative and war hawk.
    The vilification of Bolton — branding him as a traitor and member of the “deep state,” a reference to a conspiracy theory favored by the president that a shadow government is working to thwart him — made use of misleading text as well as eye-catching memes. It moved from anonymous Twitter accounts with a few dozen followers to prime-time hosts on Fox News with an audience of hundreds of thousands. Finally, it made its way to Capitol Hill, when Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) on Tuesday described the eyewitness to activity at the heart of the president’s impeachment trial as a “disgruntled, fired employee who now has a motive, a multimillion-dollar motive, to inflame the situation.”

"Trump himself echoed some of the attacks Monday when he retweeted a post from Lou Dobbs of the Fox Business Network calling Bolton a “Rejected Neocon” and the “Deep State’s Last Desperate Act.”
    That move, experts say, showcased how personal insults driven by online conspiracy theories — which Trump harnessed on his path to the presidency — remain fundamental to his hold on his base."

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Olde Europe

Olde Europe Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,727
    It's what submissive authoritarians are notorious for, targeting with near inexplicable aggression those who would not submit to the Dear Leader. There is nothing new, or even mildly surprising about that.

BTW, Eye, here's what I meant to ask a few times... I always read your OPs with interest, and find myself, say, slightly turned off because of their being both ugly and hard to read - Bold italics is screaming as much as all-caps is.

If I may suggest:

A brief quote:

The attacks, which unfolded vividly in the 24 hours after it became clear Bolton had potentially damaging information to share, crescendoed on conservative podcasts and cable television, as individual catchphrases — such as “Book Deal Bolton” — gained currency across the far-right firmament. By Tuesday, they offered a case study in how the pro-Trump Internet targets a perceived enemy, even an archconservative and war hawk.

The vilification of Bolton — branding him as a traitor and member of the “deep state,” a reference to a conspiracy theory favored by the president that a shadow government is working to thwart him — made use of misleading text as well as eye-catching memes. It moved from anonymous Twitter accounts with a few dozen followers to prime-time hosts on Fox News with an audience of hundreds of thousands. Finally, it made its way to Capitol Hill, when Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) on Tuesday described the eyewitness to activity at the heart of the president’s impeachment trial as a “disgruntled, fired employee who now has a motive, a multimillion-dollar motive, to inflame the situation.”

"Trump himself echoed some of the attacks Monday when he retweeted a post from Lou Dobbs of the Fox Business Network calling Bolton a “Rejected Neocon” and the “Deep State’s Last Desperate Act.”

That move, experts say, showcased how personal insults driven by online conspiracy theories — which Trump harnessed on his path to the presidency — remain fundamental to his hold on his base."​

Compare. You proceed as you please, of course.

3. Indeependent

Indeependent Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,783
    I can’t wait till a Democrat disagrees with Pelosi.

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
  4. EvilEyeFleegle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,876
    ***chuckles**** Old habits..to distinguish quotes and make them stand out. It's a print media thing...and meant to shout a bit. I'll give it some thought..I like the look..it's distinctive...maybe just go with the bold?

As for my interest in the article..it is not the vilification that intrigues me..it's the propagation...both the speed...and the means. There's a hierarchy at work here..and it is fascinating to watch it evolve.

5. EvilEyeFleegle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,876
    Well..there have been a few...AOC and the Gang of 4..as one example. I'm not so sure the Pelosi is really even all that in control of the House Dems...

6. Indeependent

Indeependent Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,783
    This is true...the more radical, the more control.

7. alang1216

alang1216 Pragmatist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,003
    Trump promised to hire the best people for his administration. Until they aren't. He has no loyalty to anyone but himself and will throw any and all under the bus when they are no longer useful. Except for family (so far).

I expect some great tell-all books once he's out of power.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Olde Europe

Olde Europe Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,727
    There is no "hierarchy" needed, just the herd's common propensity to bark and screech at anyone betraying a treasonous lack of subservience. That's enough for Rightardia to erupt.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. pknopp

pknopp Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,439
    We have never learned it's not good to get behind the enemy of your enemy. That noted, Trump asked for this himself.

10. Penelope

Penelope Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,744
    Bolton managed to "get his head on a pike" symbolically of course, just the same way Schiff described it.

• Agree Agree x 3