How does society benefit from welfare?

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by Some Guy, Aug 1, 2012.

1. saveliberty

saveliberty Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,266
    Minimum wage raises occur not to help people have more, just to maintain a standard of living. That occurs over a long period of time. Frankly, I'm not interested in helping someone maintain a lifetime of under achievement. Minimum wage should have a maximum length of time a person qualifies to receive that pay level.

2. saveliberty

saveliberty Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,266
    Society should develop a culture of charity freely given, not a system of government support for an extended period of time.

3. Jackson

Jackson Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,057
    Perhaps my perception is askew. I was sitting here thinking about it. I have seen older people working as bag "boys" and greeters at KMart, so you are probably right. I will have to rethink this. Thank you.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Againsheila

Againsheila Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,787
    Wow! You're welcome...

5. gallantwarrior

gallantwarrior Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,406
    Which "you guys" are you discussing. I am definitely against that ruling. I am firmly against any entity that is not an individual capable of casting a vote having the ability to contribute to any campaign. I have often mentioned my ideas about how funding for political campaigns should be limited. Unions, corporations, and various non-profits, etc, are not welcome to buy government for their benefit.

6. Steelplate

Steelplate Bluesman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +932
    really? First, you guys say that wages are market driven, now you allude that the minimum wage is just another form if welfare and that itself should be limited.

So...what you are basically saying that anyone who has a strong back and a weak mind doesn't deserve to live a comfortable life?

sorry, I disagree.....and that's just one of the reasons why I'm pro-union. Unions suck, but when you have people continually trying to hurt everyday people....they are a necessary evil.

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Deregulated User

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +400
    I don't think that's the case. I think it's one of those issues of "fairness." I think the minimum wage law is perceived (by some) to be the government protecting the little guy from the corporation who would like nothing more than to basically enslave their workers with a $1 per hour wage. As i alluded to earlier, that's only really possible if all the companies that sell a product or service collude to make it happen.

Corporations, companies, business, whatever not only have to be competitive with the product or service they sell but they also have to be competitive with the wages/salaries they offer to their employees in order to get good people to work for them (or any people are all).

8. Katzndogz

Katzndogz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,360
    The problem isn't welfare, its the definition of needy. It's the equality that exists between the old, sick, feeble, and the strapping young who can afford facial piercings and full body tattoos. Not wanting to work is the same as not being able to work.

In the most primitive cultures there was an understanding that the old were cared for, women with infants were fed and sheltered. The sick were tended. But, the young warrior who just never felt like hunting was driven out of the village to survive or die on his own. The woman who refused to weave or cook was beaten by the other women.

Our culture today doesn't have the sense available to the common wolf pack.

9. Pho_King

Pho_King BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Because that is the way it works. You also have to pay the registration on that car the bank is letting you drive for a small fee.

10. Pho_King

Pho_King BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +104
    They are not entry level jobs. They are, by and large, dead end jobs. What do you think an acceptable "living wage" is? Any idea for a number, or is this just some great moonbeam idea floating around in your head that has no real world application?