CDZ How does replacing Kennedy help the GOP in November?

The way I see it, it is not so much that a Conservative Justice can help the Republicans in November, but rather that a strong showing by Republicans in November can result in a more Conservative Justice. If the GOP loses the Senate and/or the House, it is far more likely that a strong Conservative will get Borked, which will force President Trump to nominate a more moderate candidate.

But really, it will be good for the GOP either way. Not even a full-strength blue wave will give the Democrats enough juice to delay it for two whole years, and President Trump will definitely want to appoint someone who is young. Much like the Scalia to Gorsuch baton pass, the worst that will happen is a Justice Kennedy minus thirty or so years.

All trump is about is “sticking it” to someone…be it illegal aliens, the Canadians, Mexicans, Democrats, people who don’t agree with his prevailing position regardless of Party….

Appointing a Supreme Court justice is just another way to “stick it” to someone.
And you don't see it as familiar to your own party...............LOL

I don’t see the Dems actively working to punish our allies economically.
Punish..............telling them to take off their protectionism under the false term Free Trade...........He's calling them out on it and I agree. If they are true allies then they shouldn't be trying to screw us on Trade.

It's long passed time we called them on this. And told the WTO to take a flying hike..............

Meanwhile HD is moving overseas thanks to the tariffs…we have a construction industry that is reeling with the prices of houses soaring…and we haven’t even gotten into the retaliatory tariffs yet.

Had jury duty the other day and a retired engineer was on the panel with me. He mentioned that the plant he worked in had to be shut down because the product they produced could be produced cheaper in South America an brought up here on ships.
One of the guys that was listening to the story there in the break room said “no way” (got the feeling he was a Trump supporter). The engineer explained that companies don’t care so much about the costs per unit but the long term costs of paying healthcare, benefits, pensions, in addition to the costs per unit which were higher here than down there even with the shipping charges.

Adding a few pennies to the pharmaceuticals that this gentleman helped produce will do nothing to generate jobs here; the considerations are multi-layered, long term, and…oh yeah…the entire stock market cares only about the future of the companies; what it did last quarter is of no importance.

All trump is about is “sticking it” to someone…be it illegal aliens, the Canadians, Mexicans, Democrats, people who don’t agree with his prevailing position regardless of Party….

Appointing a Supreme Court justice is just another way to “stick it” to someone.

Punish..............telling them to take off their protectionism under the false term Free Trade...........He's calling them out on it and I agree. If they are true allies then they shouldn't be trying to screw us on Trade.

It's long passed time we called them on this. And told the WTO to take a flying hike..............

Meanwhile HD is moving overseas thanks to the tariffs…we have a construction industry that is reeling with the prices of houses soaring…and we haven’t even gotten into the retaliatory tariffs yet.

Had jury duty the other day and a retired engineer was on the panel with me. He mentioned that the plant he worked in had to be shut down because the product they produced could be produced cheaper in South America an brought up here on ships.
One of the guys that was listening to the story there in the break room said “no way” (got the feeling he was a Trump supporter). The engineer explained that companies don’t care so much about the costs per unit but the long term costs of paying healthcare, benefits, pensions, in addition to the costs per unit which were higher here than down there even with the shipping charges.

Adding a few pennies to the pharmaceuticals that this gentleman helped produce will do nothing to generate jobs here; the considerations are multi-layered, long term, and…oh yeah…the entire stock market cares only about the future of the companies; what it did last quarter is of no importance.
And I watched Paper Companies haul ass to Mexico and cheaper labor countries as well..........after these trade agreements happened...........

This is not the case with the EU and Canada.......our laws are similar............EPA standards similar..........It is fair competition with no tariffs...........but Canada and the EU has used protectionism against us and demanded we don't counter them.........And for far too long we allowed that to continue.............

In regards to cheap labor..........yeah it's abundant around the globe.........doesn't mean we can allow it to destroy our industries ...............it is NOT A LEVEL PLAYING FIELD........and they need our markets.

And I watched Paper Companies haul ass to Mexico and cheaper labor countries as well..........after these trade agreements happened...........

This is not the case with the EU and Canada.......our laws are similar............EPA standards similar..........It is fair competition with no tariffs...........but Canada and the EU has used protectionism against us and demanded we don't counter them.........And for far too long we allowed that to continue.............

In regards to cheap labor..........yeah it's abundant around the globe.........doesn't mean we can allow it to destroy our industries ...............it is NOT A LEVEL PLAYING FIELD........and they need our markets.

Again, we’ll see where the Consumer price index is in a few months of this trade war. I don’t think Americans are going to be too happy about it. Its risen 0.4% in the past few months and we haven’t even gotten too deep into this foolish war with our allies.

Again, we’ll see where the Consumer price index is in a few months of this trade war. I don’t think Americans are going to be too happy about it. Its risen 0.4% in the past few months and we haven’t even gotten too deep into this foolish war with our allies.
So you advocate continuing to be a door mat for our allies..........................

Me ................Not so much.

So you advocate continuing to be a door mat for our allies..........................

No, I advocate solving problems through diplomacy because it is no longer possible (much less advisable) to “take your ball and go home”.

You mentioned markets…Your nation’s consumers are not a single market any longer. In case you haven’t noticed, e-commerce is on the rise. I can purchase items from Bangladesh just as quickly and often for less than I can purchase them from Burbank.

No, I advocate solving problems through diplomacy because it is no longer possible (much less advisable) to “take your ball and go home”.

You mentioned markets…Your nation’s consumers are not a single market any longer. In case you haven’t noticed, e-commerce is on the rise. I can purchase items from Bangladesh just as quickly and often for less than I can purchase them from Burbank.
Purchase a German Car then not made in the United States after we match their tariff of 25% which is currently a 2%. Feel free to pay 23% more for it. Of course the Chevy down the road has 0% tariff on it. CHOOSE.

You could buy lumber from Canada...........at a higher price as well when the Subsidies are matched for fair competitive trade.........I will not cry for paying a little more for boards per linear foot. Nor a little more for the nails..........

They could simply stop subsidizing and Germany could simply drop their tariffs..........doesn't mean that Germans are going to buy a Chevy......just means the competition is fair.............

Fingers crossed, posting this in the CDZ, hoping for a calm and interesting conversation.

Watching a few interviews after Kennedy's announcement yesterday, the conservative pundit guests, on top of obviously being happy about the chance to nominate a full-on conservative replacement, all looked giddy about what this all does for their prospects in November 2018.

With the country so divided on abortion, I'm not sure how conservatives thinks this helps them in November. One guy alluded to the fact that it would make it tougher on Dem candidates, but didn't get specific.

So let's say a full-on (and most likely anti-Roe vs. Wade) justice is placed before the November elections. How, exactly, does that help the GOP's chances?
Two things.

1. They can place an anti-abortion Justice on the bench and it will not make a bit of difference. Unless five other justices are willing to reopen the ruling -- they aren't -- then Roe v Wade won't be overturned in our lifetimes. I am against abortion and My reasons why are on record here and elsewhere, but that does not alter reality.

2. Nominating a Justice should be for the betterment of America, not any political party.

Fingers crossed, posting this in the CDZ, hoping for a calm and interesting conversation.

Watching a few interviews after Kennedy's announcement yesterday, the conservative pundit guests, on top of obviously being happy about the chance to nominate a full-on conservative replacement, all looked giddy about what this all does for their prospects in November 2018.

With the country so divided on abortion, I'm not sure how conservatives thinks this helps them in November. One guy alluded to the fact that it would make it tougher on Dem candidates, but didn't get specific.

So let's say a full-on (and most likely anti-Roe vs. Wade) justice is placed before the November elections. How, exactly, does that help the GOP's chances?
Two things.

1. They can place an anti-abortion Justice on the bench and it will not make a bit of difference. Unless five other justices are willing to reopen the ruling -- they aren't -- then Roe v Wade won't be overturned in our lifetimes. I am against abortion and My reasons why are on record here and elsewhere, but that does not alter reality.

2. Nominating a Justice should be for the betterment of America, not any political party.
Yeah, I have my doubts that Roe would be overturned even if Trump nominates a friendly judge. Maybe if Ginsburg goes and Trump still has both houses.... maybe.

I suspect Roberts would end up being the swing vote, as he was with the ACA, and he may vote it down, being very sensitive to the political aspects of this.

Excitement and motivation among the base and anyone leaning in that direction. I can see where, "Look at what we're FINALLY getting to accomplish! We must keep it going!" would be energizing to people on the right.

Not sure how it will help them in the elections per say. But it might be helpful when cases are brought before the court.
I wish these guys could have gotten more specific. It sounded like they thought Dems in tough red state races would weaken themselves if they complained too much. I kind of get that, but I don't think I'd be as certain as they are.

Oh, also, they're likely assuming that Democrats are going to make themselves look REALLY repugnant in the fight over the nomination.

Two things.

Yeah, I have my doubts that Roe would be overturned even if Trump nominates a friendly judge. Maybe if Ginsburg goes and Trump still has both houses.... maybe.

I suspect Roberts would end up being the swing vote, as he was with the ACA, and he may vote it down, being very sensitive to the political aspects of this.

I think it will probably have a great deal to do with the details of the specific case involved.

I doubt that a SCOTUS justice will be approved by November, too many RINOs in the Senate, but Trump might pull it off.

I think it is a vote energizing move here, to activate the GOP base and remind them how important off year elections are, in fact.

So when the Senate fails to pass a nomination this fall, the GOP will campaign on it throughout the Midwest that the Dimocrats are the party of 'Never Trump!'

I doubt that a SCOTUS justice will be approved by November, too many RINOs in the Senate, but Trump might pull it off.

I think it is a vote energizing move here, to activate the GOP base and remind them how important off year elections are, in fact.

So when the Senate fails to pass a nomination this fall, the GOP will campaign on it throughout the Midwest that the Dimocrats are the party of 'Never Trump!'
I often forget about the "base" aspect, one of the many important things I don't always understand about politics.

I guess that's true, getting out the base could be enough, especially on a topic as important to them as this. Passion and turnout.

I often forget about the "base" aspect, one of the many important things I don't always understand about politics.
I guess that's true, getting out the base could be enough, especially on a topic as important to them as this. Passion and turnout.
With a breakdown of ~23% liberals, ~33% moderates and ~43% conservatives in our nation, The Dems can usually get out most of their base, while Republicans dont, usually as exit polls are basically showing 30% liberal, 40% moderate and 30% conservative.

It is the GOP that has this issue of energizing their voters more than anyone else . That is why moderate GOP Presidential candidates tend to lose, as they cannot energize that conservative base, while conservative candidates do. And it is the campaign style I am talking about as Trump, for example, may not be an ideological conservative but he campaigned like a populist conservative.

Trump obviously realizes this and I think a Dem refusal to confirm a good SCOTUS pick will be just the sort of thing he needs to fan the flames of the base, along with poster child Dims like that Marxist from the Bronx.

I don't think it really makes much of difference at least not in the Senate where most agree the Democrats chances of taking control aren't good it could help the left in the House depending on who the Nominee is and people should remember even if the nominee is confirmed and gets on the court that doesn't mean they will rule on cases the way we think they will Kennedy himself is proof of that.

Doesn't help or hurt.

Most Americans are too dumb to realize the implication of a fifth far right judge on the court.

Slate had an interesting article that a fifth judge will probably kill off Roe by a death of a hundred cuts. In fact, they've already been doing this.
guess what those who support abortion are past the stage that they can be aborted.
Ain't it wonderful for you that you can't be aborted and killed that way?

Dems running for election in red states will either approve the nomination or be kicked out of office. Following the trend of the last 8 years, many may lose anyway.

In Red Social Conservative States it will show Trump is sticking to his word about appointing more Conservative Judges to the bench, so his supporters and Social Conservatives will come out and vote to keep their Conservativr House and Senator in place...

In Blue States it will get the Pro-Choice movement to get out and vote.

Now the question is purple swing states which I believe this help the GOP because swing States like Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania have higher amount of Catholics that some swing on their vote and this could help...

Now if you ask a Progressive they will explain in a calm manner I am wrong while those that voted for Trump will believe this does help Trump and the GOP...

In Red Social Conservative States it will show Trump is sticking to his word about appointing more Conservative Judges to the bench, so his supporters and Social Conservatives will come out and vote to keep their Conservativr House and Senator in place...

In Blue States it will get the Pro-Choice movement to get out and vote.

Now the question is purple swing states which I believe this help the GOP because swing States like Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania have higher amount of Catholics that some swing on their vote and this could help...

Now if you ask a Progressive they will explain in a calm manner I am wrong while those that voted for Trump will believe this does help Trump and the GOP...
I wonder if we'll see the highest vote totals for a mid term election this year...

Forum List

Back