How does raising taxes create jobs?

Misty

Gold Member
Aug 11, 2009
Hmmmm. What will raising taxes on the "rich" do to create jobs?

I know the biggest debt burden I have in my personal and business life is the taxes I pay.

I save to pay taxes not to go on vacations.

I don't have any debt other than feeding myself, for which I'm taxed, transporting myself, for which I'm taxed, I'm taxed for a house I own, I'm taxed for a car I own, I'm taxed for earning a living, I'm taxed for clothing myself.

That's a pretty screwed up scenario. I basically work and live to pay taxes.

First of all it is not raising taxes but letting the Bush tax cut expire to 1990 rate as they were meant to do. It creates revenue that can be used to create jobs.

THE PRESIDENT: As I said before, if wealthy individuals are willing to simply go back to the rates that existed back in the 1990s when rich people were doing very well -- it's not like they were poor -- and by the way, that's when we saw the highest job growth rates and that's when we saw the highest -- the greatest reduction in poverty, and that's when we saw businesses very profitable -- if the wealthiest among us -- and I include myself in this category -- are willing to give up a little bit more, then we can solve this problem. It does not take a lot.

Obama Claims Raising Taxes Creates Jobs

The left believes fervently that raising taxes, especially on the rich, will allow for more spending, primarily to the low and middle income folks who presumeably will spend most of the extra cash and thereby increase demand which results in more jobs.

Problem is, these uncertain times with the high unemployment we have means that most of those low and middle income people won't spend the extra money, they're paying down debt instead or saving it. This is maybe one reason why the Obama spending spree has not changed the economy much for the better, demand just hasn't picked up enough and sustained it.

The other part IMHO is that the big spending over the past couple of years has not been wisely done, mostly for politial reasons. Decisions were not made for effective economic reasons but instead for political payback or to support the democratic base. And it was not managed well either, a lot of that money went overseas or was wasted.

Raising taxes will never create jobs. Savings create jobs and growth. Taxation removes those savings. Government spending of course can create jobs, but at the expense of jobs created by the private sector. Due to government bureaucratic inefficiencies, politics, and the nature of government, the spending by government is less efficient than the private sector, and the same amount of money will likely do less to grow the economy had it never been taxed away in the first place.

Those who support taxation for economic growth are operating on the fallacy that tax dollars fall like manna from heaven. A job created by taxes takes away a job created somewhere else. Which is why we currently have high spending but virtually no job creation.

Raising taxes will never create jobs. Savings create jobs and growth. Taxation removes those savings. Government spending of course can create jobs, but at the expense of jobs created by the private sector. Due to government bureaucratic inefficiencies, politics, and the nature of government, the spending by government is less efficient than the private sector, and the same amount of money will likely do less to grow the economy had it never been taxed away in the first place.

Those who support taxation for economic growth are operating on the fallacy that tax dollars fall like manna from heaven. A job created by taxes takes away a job created somewhere else. Which is why we currently have high spending but virtually no job creation.

Maybe they could be more imaginative and if they allow the Bush tax breaks to expire, use part of the revenue to offer loans to those who want to start a business, or expand an existing business.
Or use it to hire those who are unemployed and fix the infrastructure.
In short, put the added revenue to good use to create the jobs that never manifested from the trickle down fantasy, that never seems to come true anyway.
As for other ways in cutting into the 4 trillion goal, cut the damn foreign aid to nations that don't need it, and trim some from the outrageous defense industry budget, those are reasonable places to start.
This talk about cutting SS and putting these sacrifices on the backs of those who can least afford it is BS.
Why is it the poor, elderly, and disabled have to make do with less?
They already have eliminated the cost of living increases for the last 2 years, and those monthly checks are all some folks have to live on.
Fuck those elitist bastards...

Leave the poor the fuck alone, and let the ones who write off their jet setting lifestyle, who got their fortunes from the backs of many of the now disabled, and whose tax breaks didn't contribute to any substantial job growth anyway, start to comply with the original agreement, by letting the tax breaks and free rides end....That was the original agreement..that they would have an expiration date right??

With little to no job growth right now how does not raising taxes create job growth? I mean jobs aren't being created now. Also if taxes were to be cut for the wealthy and businesses what would they do with this extra money? people can't afford to purchas their goods now, are they going to lower their prices? are they going to hire more people if they can't sell what they got now? no. They will pocket the money as profit and then whine about how they need less regulation, and how that is the reason they can't create jobs or give employees raises so they can actually spend money in this economy.

neither creates jobs.

more taxes doesn't and less taxes doesn't....

we have historically LOW tax rates....are enough jobs being created due to this?

We had HIGHER tax rates under clinton, do you really think this is what created the 29 million new jobs under his reign?

once tax rates reach a certain low, they do not affect what's going on with hiring....we are already beyond that "low" and raising them a little or lowering them a little will not affect job hiring rates.

neither creates jobs.

more taxes doesn't and less taxes doesn't....

we have historically LOW tax rates....are enough jobs being created due to this?

We had HIGHER tax rates under clinton, do you really think this is what created the 29 million new jobs under his reign?

once tax rates reach a certain low, they do not affect what's going on with hiring....we are already beyond that "low" and raising them a little or lowering them a little will not affect job hiring rates.

I'm sure that raising taxes isn't going to help unemployment, but I do think it could hurt. There are several factors that go into determining a favorable or unfavorable business climate for starting a business or expanding one. Taxes are only one factor, and perhaps not even a major one, but why take the chance now? I think it's smarter to raise taxes down the road whenever we get the economy going again and people are going back to work. But not now, not yet.

With little to no job growth right now how does not raising taxes create job growth? I mean jobs aren't being created now. Also if taxes were to be cut for the wealthy and businesses what would they do with this extra money? people can't afford to purchas their goods now, are they going to lower their prices? are they going to hire more people if they can't sell what they got now? no. They will pocket the money as profit and then whine about how they need less regulation, and how that is the reason they can't create jobs or give employees raises so they can actually spend money in this economy.

:clap2: That appears what has happened.

YouTube - ‪George Carlin ~ The American Dream‬‏

all their talking about doing is closing some loop holes in the tax code that benefits the upper wealthy class. I am against seeing televangelists flying their Lear Jets. The Walton of Wal Mart have their own airports and Lears here in NW Arkansas where they live.

I know the biggest debt burden I have in my personal and business life is the taxes I pay.

I don't have any debt other than feeding myself, for which I'm taxed, transporting myself, for which I'm taxed, I'm taxed for a house I own, I'm taxed for a car I own, I'm taxed for earning a living, I'm taxed for clothing myself.

Here's the dirty little secret. Raising taxes kills jobs, kills the economy, and deepens a recession into a Great Depression.

Taxes aren't the lowest they've ever been. Obama and his friends (the FOOLS) are lying to you. Taxes are the highest in history when you add up federal income taxes, state, local, property, sales taxes, social security and medicare taxes, taxes disguised as fees, and the loss of deductions. The tax burden on small business owners has never been higher. And Obama threatens to make it far higher- perhaps an unimaginable ten times higher by taking away the home mortgage deduction and removing the cap on Social Security taxes.

This is all causing fear, loathing, depression and panic among the job creators. This is causing millions of Americans to consider leaving the U.S.A for places where business owners are appreciated and rewarded, not demonized and punished. That means they will take with them millions of jobs- gone forever.

Here's a simple lesson in this scenario. The New York Post reported recently that toll prices (ie taxes) at bridges throughout New York had increased dramatically. The result? Traffic has dropped dramatically at those bridges. Taxes ruin everything they touch.

Much more:

Libertarian Republican: Don't believe the Obama lies on Taxes

Here's the dirty little secret. Raising taxes kills jobs, kills the economy, and deepens a recession into a Great Depression.

Taxes aren't the lowest they've ever been. Obama and his friends (the FOOLS) are lying to you. Taxes are the highest in history when you add up federal income taxes, state, local, property, sales taxes, social security and medicare taxes, taxes disguised as fees, and the loss of deductions. The tax burden on small business owners has never been higher. And Obama threatens to make it far higher- perhaps an unimaginable ten times higher by taking away the home mortgage deduction and removing the cap on Social Security taxes.

This is all causing fear, loathing, depression and panic among the job creators. This is causing millions of Americans to consider leaving the U.S.A for places where business owners are appreciated and rewarded, not demonized and punished. That means they will take with them millions of jobs- gone forever.

Here's a simple lesson in this scenario. The New York Post reported recently that toll prices (ie taxes) at bridges throughout New York had increased dramatically. The result? Traffic has dropped dramatically at those bridges. Taxes ruin everything they touch.

Much more:

Why do you hate America?

There, is that the proper deflection, USMB lefties?

Much more:

I don't think ANYONE including Obama is saying that taxes overall, including state taxes and fees and property taxes etc are the lowest....and adding all of those other taxes in to the picture in order for them to make this point, is important, but it does NOT in anyway negate the fact that federal income tax rates are LOW for our recent history of federal income tax rates, Aqua.

and if state taxes and fees have gone up so much, why in the heck aren't us citizens fighting with our STATES to lower our taxes? We should be!

First of all it is not raising taxes but letting the Bush tax cut expire to 1990 rate as they were meant to do. It creates revenue that can be used to create jobs.

THE PRESIDENT: As I said before, if wealthy individuals are willing to simply go back to the rates that existed back in the 1990s when rich people were doing very well -- it's not like they were poor -- and by the way, that's when we saw the highest job growth rates and that's when we saw the highest -- the greatest reduction in poverty, and that's when we saw businesses very profitable -- if the wealthiest among us -- and I include myself in this category -- are willing to give up a little bit more, then we can solve this problem. It does not take a lot.

Well, shit....If Obama said it, it MUST be true
:lol:
Nevermind that the value of the dollar that's getting taxed is SHIT compared to Clinton dollars.:eusa_shhh:

Well, shit....If Obama said it, it MUST be true
:lol:
Nevermind that the value of the dollar that's getting taxed is SHIT compared to Clinton dollars.:eusa_shhh:
hortysir,

the dollar is devaluing,

but this in part is due to not collecting enough taxes to pay for what congress has already spent....the dollar would not devalue if we did not need to borrow so much. It'll continue to be worth less and less if we continue to borrow.....

yes, cutting our spending is what needs to be done for future spending, BUT I am afraid that this will NOT take care of what has been spent already and getting that debt down to a realistic figure.

We have to show some responsibility on paying for what we (congress has SPENT)...i say we, because congress is who represents, we the people.

Much more:

Why do you hate America?

There, is that the proper deflection, USMB lefties?

You forgot to say "that's racist".

Forum List

Back