How do you want to go?

Ernie S.

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
Sweet Home Alabama
Something I wrote in another thread got me thinking.
Too many of us have had to watch helplessly while our parents and grandparents deteriorated both physically and mentally. Both of my parents succumbed to cancer, but were in control of their faculties. They suffered slow, painful deaths knowing the ultimate outcome.
Me? I'd rather go fast, like a 100 MPH crash on my Harley.

How do you want to go?

My sig line on a motorcycle forum is:
"I want to leave this world the same way I came into it; naked, bloody and screaming at the top of my lungs."

I dont know but i do know that if I am in a coma and I cant feel anything etc -- brain dead -- I want to be kept "alive" on life support as long as possible so that I will bleed every red cent out of my health insurer!!!! I WANT MY MONEY'S WORTH. I want to be on CNN and at the heart of a political and social policy debate. I want people holding vigils outside wherever they have me warehoused. I dont want some death panel -- or my kids -- pulling the plug.

Last edited:
In bed, in my sleep, peacefully!

Something I wrote in another thread got me thinking.
Too many of us have had to watch helplessly while our parents and grandparents deteriorated both physically and mentally. Both of my parents succumbed to cancer, but were in control of their faculties. They suffered slow, painful deaths knowing the ultimate outcome.
Me? I'd rather go fast, like a 100 MPH crash on my Harley.

How do you want to go?

If there's ever a nuke attack, I want to be in the precise middle of ground zero at the instant of detonation. If I get vaporized, instantaneously, where no two of my body's atoms ever meet again, I figure there's zero chance of any pain or any dread or fear of impending doom.

I want to die with my mind clear and my heart open wide.

The first half is a forgone conclusion. Your mind cannot become magically clear, all of a sudden, for the first time in your life, just at the instant you are about to die. Sorry. That's magical thinking nonsense. Ain't gonna happen.

If your heart is wide open, that could be the CAUSE of your death.

I want to die with my mind clear and my heart open wide.

The first half is a forgone conclusion. Your mind cannot become magically clear, all of a sudden, for the first time in your life, just at the instant you are about to die. Sorry. That's magical thinking nonsense. Ain't gonna happen.

If your heart is wide open, that could be the CAUSE of your death.

That's the reason to practice now, to make aspirations. Every moment is an opportunity to wake up and be fully present.

Last edited:
shot by a jealous husband the day after my 104th birthday, on the up stroke.

I've considered that I might meet my demise crashing the Harley into a bridge abutment at 100 MPH, at 103 years of age, while being chased by a jealous husband.
Close enough?

• Thanks
Reactions: del
AAA
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm

Happens fast, relatively painless, no warning. :)

Who says I'm going anywhere??
I intend to live forever......NOT!

I guess the most sensible answer would be to go to sleep, and pass quietly....but I think (and I think this is how my departure will probably take place).....I would like to be killed instantly in a fast and furious car accident. It will happen quickly....no pain...no suffering.....just an instant death.

I too lost both of my parents to cancer.....my Mother (Thank God) didn't appear to have suffered as much as others I have seen...she was home under Hospice care, and they love their morphine. Mother was always laughing, smiling, even tho she knew she was home to die...she was in no pain, and so as long as she was content and happy...I TRIED to be the same, for her sake...even tho inisde, I felt like I was dying.
My Dad however, oh damn....I watched him suffer for 2 days straight....that was killing me too.
I don't want to be in that position...if they tell me I'm going to die....I want to die quick. No mumbo jumbo-ing around damnit...pull the plug, stop the drip...whatever........

Forum List

Back