How do we stop the increase in the price of college?

How do we stop the ever increasing cost of college? This is hurting our nations ability to education our population.

This is a very serious issue. WE have to do this without losing the ability to give a good education at the same time.

Get the Gov. out of the loan business. As long as the colleges know they can depend on the taxpayer for money they'll keep asking for more. another really dumb stupid democrat idea.

How do we stop the ever increasing cost of college? This is hurting our nations ability to education our population.

This is a very serious issue. WE have to do this without losing the ability to give a good education at the same time.

While it's every kid's dream to get away from home, I think the most cost effective way is to allow kids to do the fresh and soph years while living in the basement, whether at community college with an associate degree or an urban university.

And, I put up a link a couple of days ago that we now have less in fed/state aid than in tuition. You can't logically defend the increase in income going to the top 1% on the theory they deserve it because they're so much more productive, while simultaneously opposing taxing them more if the money goes to training future workers. It's an oxymoron.

• Banned

While it's every kid's dream to get away from home, I think the most cost effective way is to allow kids to do the fresh and soph years while living in the basement, whether at community college with an associate degree or an urban university.

And, I put up a link a couple of days ago that we now have less in fed/state aid than in tuition. You can't logically defend the increase in income going to the top 1% on the theory they deserve it because they're so much more productive, while simultaneously opposing taxing them more if the money goes to training future workers. It's an oxymoron.

I've come to the conclusion that you're right. The way I'd deal with the one percent is to increase their "personal" income tax about 2-3%. Don't go after the businesses as those can pass the cost onto the consumer.

Community college makes a lot of sense, but they're also going up way to fast. :eek:

The only reason the costs continue to climb astronomically (without a concomitant rise in quality) is because of governmental management of so many dimensions of this product. WillowTree aptly mentioned the government loan business (a terrible idea that drives up costs and shifts responsibility via moral hazard). It's worse, though, government or quasi-government regulation of various professions, grants from various levels of the government, other subsidies, etc...

But why are cost going up?

But why are cost going up?

Because governmental management distorts the supply and demand (or the pricing system, if you prefer to phrase it that way) of products within this industry, making things less efficient (or more expensive, in simpler parlance).

Get the Gov. out of the loan business. As long as the colleges know they can depend on the taxpayer for money they'll keep asking for more. another really dumb stupid democrat idea.

]That's ridiculous, dupe. Pubs now trying to let the rate go up to 8.5 %, and hope to give it back to their cronies, the bankers. The gov't doesn't lose any money on them, and can put pressure on the colleges.

Much of the spending going up is due to Bushies changing laws on on line and for profit colleges, which are often useless scams, way overpriced, and account for over 50% of bad loans all of a sudden...BRILLIANT!! Pub dupes!! So gd misinformed, not to say moronic.

Last edited:
Cost is driven by ever increasing salaries.

Demand is driven by government loans and subsidies.

Therefore, price goes up. Comprende?

Go to right wing Bible Colleges. They don't cost as much and they will prepare you for the "Rapture".

Oh, and they are almost impossible to flunk.

Use the free market. We can educate ourselves or create universities that provide affordable education opportunities for people.

If we accept that the majority of books are crap and that plenty of people could learn things if they just knew the right books then how many would pay a lot of money for college and how many employers would figure out they could find decent employees without college degrees.

Want electronics?

Teach Yourself Electricity and Electronics (2006) by Stan Gibilisco
teach yourself electricity and electronics

The Art of Electronics (1989) by Horowitz and Hill
Download The Art of Electronics ? Horowitz & Hill | books download

psik

Annnd....we have a winner.

Forum List

Back