How Do I Become an Un-American?

I've wondered how anyone becomes un-American when being an American refers to the soil you live on or nationality you claim to be a part of. The way I see it the only way you can be an un-american is if you claim you nationality is from a country other than America so how can anyone living in this country be un-american?

I suppose someone can say that not holding certain values pertaining to your country is un-American but when did our thoughts and beliefs change when you cross a political barrier? The truth is is that our thoughts, beliefs, and personality is an independent creation of the geographic location that our nation happens to be at. To say otherwise, is to say that the minute we cross a border or immigrate to another country to claim nationality there is simultanous* change our "personality".

A nation does not define character attributes of each individual living under those laws. It only defines the laws and not the person that is a part of it.
I think you are being deliberately obtuse. But there is an easy way for you to see 'un-American" first hand.

Start a thread here at the USMB on something the USA does well.

Then just sit back and read.

I was but there was a point I was trying to make like your status of being an American is simply your citizenship status in this country and not what political beliefs you subscribe to. I hope Obama fails a lot but that doesn't neatralize my citizenship status in this country.

I've wondered how anyone becomes un-American when being an American refers to the soil you live on or nationality you claim to be a part of. The way I see it the only way you can be an un-american is if you claim you nationality is from a country other than America so how can anyone living in this country be un-american?

I suppose someone can say that not holding certain values pertaining to your country is un-American but when did our thoughts and beliefs change when you cross a political barrier? The truth is is that our thoughts, beliefs, and personality is an independent creation of the geographic location that our nation happens to be at. To say otherwise, is to say that the minute we cross a border or immigrate to another country to claim nationality there is simultanous* change our "personality".

A nation does not define character attributes of each individual living under those laws. It only defines the laws and not the person that is a part of it.
I think you are being deliberately obtuse. But there is an easy way for you to see 'un-American" first hand.

I was but there was a point I was trying to make like your status of being an American is simply your citizenship status in this country and not what political beliefs you subscribe to. I hope Obama fails a lot but that doesn't neatralize my citizenship status in this country.
You are confusing terms.

un-American is a mental attitude, usually taught in our centers of higher learning, not a status indicator of citizenship.

You are confusing terms.

un-American is a mental attitude, usually taught in our centers of higher learning, not a status indicator of citizenship.

I don't think they are confusing at all. I am an American because of my citizenship status not becuase of what I believe.

To be un American.
To be 'liberal"
Hope the President "fails" Just keep saying he's winning.

Anti education Slam home he wants 'accountability and excellence'. Ignor the tripe about Sidwell and that against vouchers.

support torture and war exempt exceptions. 'nuff said.'

Stay scared 'that's for the gop' never mind.

insist public schools teach the supernatural wrong party. That's fthe fuktards to the right. Right?

be anti women, anti gay and anti anyone not the white color Huh? I got lost, we are for all extra sexual, extra digits, extra cells, extra huh?

Call those you disagree with "un-American"

And here I just thought he was being deliberately moronic...

You know, this un-American type of bullshit comes from the old "if you're not with us, you're against us and you support the terrorists".

What is un-American? Anything outside our borders.

I’m that unpatriotic bitch who thinks that sporting a flag pin in your lapel doesn’t mean shit if you’re wearing it while supporting pay-cuts for the troops, or budget cuts to veterans’ care – or, for that matter, calling anyone and everyone who disagrees with you “unpatriotic” because you really have nothing of substance to say, but just love the sound of your own meaningless rhetoric voice.

Since America is a land based on idealogies, rather than an ethic, to be a America means to believe and support the ideological values of the nation.

Naturally there's the rub.

Who gets to decide what those are?

The goverment, or the People?

Or perhaps just the people who have power?

Or perhaps, since we also CLAIM to believe in the freedom of thought (that's what freedom of speech is, isn't it?) then really, how can anyone's thoughts exclude them from being thought American?

The term unAmerican is (rather ironically, I think) UnAmerica thinking.

To be un American.

Hope the President "fails"

Anti education

support torture and war

Stay scared

insist public schools teach the supernatural

be anti women, anti gay and anti anyone not the white color

Call those you disagree with "un-American"

wow, look at all those talking points.

You forgot not paying higher taxes and agreeing with Joe Biden

And not supporting private business takeover

And wanting less government control

And listening to conservated talk shows

And going to rallies organized by republicans and conservatives

And voting any way other than democrat

I’m that unpatriotic bitch who thinks that sporting a flag pin in your lapel doesn’t mean shit if you’re wearing it while supporting pay-cuts for the troops, or budget cuts to veterans’ care – or, for that matter, calling anyone and everyone who disagrees with you “unpatriotic” because you really have nothing of substance to say, but just love the sound of your own meaningless rhetoric voice.

That's why I don't like Palin. She's got nothing to say, yet tells everyone she's got a plan to help.

Drill baby drill ain't it.........

You are confusing terms.

I don't think they are confusing at all. I am an American because of my citizenship status not becuase of what I believe.
Okay. If you want to deliberately interchange terms, go ahead.

I see plenty of citizens who have un-American beliefs.

Forum List

Back