How come Lincoln got away with shutting down hundreds of newspapers and jailed journalists

TNHarley

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2012
Last edited:
Civil War.....It gave Lincoln a lot of leeway.....However Trump has more power than he knows...that goes to his advisers...they need to get caught up on presidential power....And his party needs to stand up and back him instead of joining in with the hate Trump crowd at every turn.....

But even with all of that he is outdoing Bush and Obama combined.....what a waste of tax dollars the Bush's and Obama were....sat on their asses acting like a leader without leading.....

So the end justifies the means? Even when it involves trashing civil, human and constitutional rights?
ONE MAN trashed our rule of law to do what ONE MAN thought was right. Which begs the question; why didnt congress suspend Habeas corpus? I mean, he was in a civil war!!!
If any other ruler does that in todays standards, he is a dictator. A tyrant. He is probably getting overthrown by the CIA and MI6 too..

Lincoln had the Civil War to deal with and FDR had WW2. Both presidents received lavish praise by historians even though they may have committed unconstitutional actions while in office. That's the way the system works. FDR authorized the incarceration of American citizens without due process. Nothing could be worse than that but the media supported him and that's all it took. The media hates the current president and that's all it takes to influence opinion.

and trump cant whine about fake news without being accused of being a tyrant? Lincoln actually WAS a tyrant.
Geez, americans are so disingenuous
America's Greatest President: Abraham Lincoln
http://ocean.otr.usm.edu/~w304644/ajha/americanjournalism/fall09.pdf
Im not even going to get started on lincoln sending out sherman to rape, murder pillage and kill livestock and all of his other unconstitutional acts ;)
Im very interested. TIA
Good links, TN

Our most beloved president was a murderous tyrant.
MURICA!!

and trump cant whine about fake news without being accused of being a tyrant? Lincoln actually WAS a tyrant.
Im not even going to get started on lincoln sending out sherman to rape, murder pillage and kill livestock and all of his other unconstitutional acts ;)
Im very interested. TIA

What's your logic here? Because Lincoln did it , it's okay for any other President to do it? Trump didn't just "whine" about the press, he's threatened to remove "credentials" from those that he doesn't like and that undermines the principles of the freedom of the press. I realize that much of the media is biased, disingenuous and outright malicious but the fact of the matter is that using the bully pulpit to go after the news outlets you don't like is a quick and efficient way to arrive at state controlled media.

The fucked up "he did it therefore it's okay for me to do it" logic is a large contributing factor that got us into this Imperial Presidency-Irrelevant Legislative Branch mess in the first place.

Im very interested. TIA
In May 1864, a New York newspaper published a proclamation signed by President Lincoln calling for the draft of 400,000 more men.

Except it was a total fake intended to incite the people of that city to riot, and to give aid and comfort to the enemy.

And so the forgers were arrested.

BIG FUCKING DIFFERENCE!

Im very interested. TIA

What's your logic here? Because Lincoln did it , it's okay for any other President to do it? Trump didn't just "whine" about the press, he's threatened to remove "credentials" from those that he doesn't like and that undermines the principles of the freedom of the press. I realize that much of the media is biased, disingenuous and outright malicious but the fact of the matter is that using the bully pulpit to go after the news outlets you don't like is a quick and efficient way to arrive at state controlled media.

The fucked up "he did it therefore it's okay for me to do it" logic is a large contributing factor that got us into this Imperial Presidency-Irrelevant Legislative Branch mess in the first place.
That was not what i was shooting for.
I was showing how lincoln ACTUALLY destroyed the free press and trump talks shit. There is no comparison, but people would be ok with him being hung in the court square for it.
Perhaps a bit of hyperbole about the hanging. Perhaps not.

Im very interested. TIA
In May 1864, a New York newspaper published a proclamation signed by President Lincoln calling for the draft of 400,000 more men.

Except it was a total fake intended to incite the people of that city to riot.

BIG FUCKING DIFFERENCE!
He shut down 100s of newspapers and jailed thousands of journalists
BIG FUCKING DIFFERENCE
Dont act like that mother fucker was decent or something. Look at what Sherman did!

Im very interested. TIA
Wait, how does one murder livestock? I don't even want to think about Sherman raping livestock. Some things just need not be talked about!

Im not even going to get started on lincoln sending out sherman to rape, murder pillage and kill livestock
:206:

Remember how you whined about this the next time a pseudocon or Trump calls for the murder of women and children hostages in ISIS-held strongholds.

• Thanks
Reactions: xyz
The way to that was DOJ -investigating (spying, intimidating)- journalists and their families.

It was stupid to make the statement Trump did, but I suspect it was an empty threat.
Im very interested. TIA

Im very interested. TIA
Wait, how does one murder livestock? I don't even want to think about Sherman raping livestock. Some things just need not be talked about!
murdered AND killed livestock

Im very interested. TIA
Good links, TN

Our most beloved president was a murderous tyrant.
MURICA!!
I completely disagree. Of course, I'm a Yankee, so.....

Im very interested. TIA

Except it was a total fake intended to incite the people of that city to riot.

BIG FUCKING DIFFERENCE!
He shut down 100s of newspapers and jailed thousands of journalists
BIG FUCKING DIFFERENCE
Dont act like that mother fucker was decent or something. Look at what Sherman did!
Your OP link is incorrect. It claims Lincoln suspended the writ of habeas corpus, "a power given explicitly to Congress".

It completely fails to mention that Congress gave that power to Lincoln: Habeas Corpus Suspension Act (1863)

Your willful ignorance of our history is being exploited by the people whose piss you are drinking.

Forum List

Back