How can there be a political settlement to Putin's war in Ukraine (and Georgia and Lithuania

Sorry, North Vietnam...
Yes, I got it, thanks. I doubt it will come true, though. Something tells me that after taking over the Donbas, Russia will significantly lower the scale of its offensive operations.

Yes, I got it, thanks. I doubt it will come true, though. Something tells me that after taking over the Donbas, Russia will significantly lower the scale of its offensive operations.
I didn't say which side was going to play North Vietnam.

There is no political settlement since Ukraine is unwilling to allow Russia to simply take it's territory. I think Russia will eventually take certain cities in the Donbas, but that is when the real meat grinder will begin, because you cannot occupy a small portion of a country with inadequate numbers and no air superiority, when they have a large standing army of close to a million active and reserve military personnel, potentially using NATO weapons and tactics striking whenever they please. Take snake island for example. The russians have full control of the island, but what's been happening is they've been bombarded constantly every time they attempt to land and set up equipment or ammo there whenever Ukraine feels the need to.

I think Biden and the European leaders have two goals: first to stop Russia from acquiring any more of land in Ukraine and second, to avoid a larger war. That makes this a long, long war of attrition that has the goal of making this war cost the Russia state and Russian people much more than that acquisition of Ukrainian land is worth.

Since Putin has violated all relevant international laws and treaties by invading Ukraine, there is no rational basis for believing any new agreement signed by Putin would survive, so barring a massive change in popular sentiment in the US and Europe, which doesn't seem likely at this point, I don't see any possibility of any agreement until after a complete Russian withdrawal from Occupied Ukraine.

I don't think that's the goal. I think the grand prize is dragging this war out long enough to destabilize and collapse the russian government.

Do you really not understand what's happened in Russia as a result of the sanctions? The EU will not receive oil and gas, instead it will be shipped to China, India and Iran. Moreover those countries will pay for the oil in rubles. Sanctions are hurting the EU and the USA far worse than they hurt Russia

NATO will have a hard time keeping the lights on this winter especially as the Earth continues to cool.
Agreed. Looks like this war has benefited Russia economically in a big way. So much for the lies our government told us about devastating Russia.

Russia and Saudi Arabia are making $2Bn from oil exports every day. They are not buying US stocks or bonds, and Russia isn't really importing much of anything these days, so what exactly are they recycling it into. -Zero Hedge

Ultimately, this is not helpful, UNLESS Ukraine can legitimately make the case that it will cease attacking inside Russia's borders if Russia accepts a peace.

Ultimately, this is not helpful, UNLESS Ukraine can legitimately make the case that it will cease attacking inside Russia's borders if Russia accepts a peace.

The ruble hasn't been turned to rubble, Russia isn't back in the Stone Age and Ukraine doesn't have Crimea, as American leaders and media predicted.

Biden is begging for oil, Europe is going back to burning coal, our Gov't stole $55 billion from us and we are paying more for everything.

Is NATO winning or Russia?

The ruble hasn't been turned to rubble, Russia isn't back in the Stone Age and Ukraine doesn't have Crimea, as American leaders and media predicted.

Biden is begging for oil, Europe is going back to burning coal, our Gov't stole $55 billion from us and we are paying more for everything.

Is NATO winning or Russia?
Lets see five years from now.

Forum List

Back