How about adding a "Get Serious" button to our feedback options?

Discussion in 'Announcements and Feedback' started by monkrules, Dec 15, 2017.

1. EvilEyeFleegle

EvilEyeFleegle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,928
    I agree...but the whole purpose many are here for..is to vent their hatred of 'the other side'. Many posts..on both sides..can be very hard to refute logically--because they are right--or because the authors are smart enough to parse out an argument that takes effort to rebut--many here would much rather be able to shit on a post..and keep walking, secure in the knowledge that their stupidity is hidden.

Plus, there is the element of personal animus--poster take a dislike to each-other..and use the funny button on every post their "enemy" puts up.

I freely admit that I use the funny button to express disapproval...if that is the game here--then I'm playing.

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
  2. OldLady

OldLady Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,218
    So, folks, if all your friends were jumping off a bridge, would you go along?

It does seem strange that a political message board doesn't have a single "disagree" button. As if posters will all have rosy thoughts about each other. Maybe it was too debated a topic if a "disagree" should not count in the ratings or should subtract one from the total, like I hear the old rating system did. I'd be in the hole, for sure.

On this board, posters shouldn't have the power to remove "positive points" because there is too much personal animus here. Like the OP suggested, maybe that disagree point could be counted separately? I don't see why it should have to be isolated to a single post, though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. monkrules

monkrules Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    I agree.

But many members are now using the "funny" button as an insult. Saying, in effect, "your post is pure crap". And they're doing it because it's a simple, quick way to show their disagreement with a posted comment. Because it's being widely used (and understood) in that way I find myself sometimes using it that way, too. So the "funny" button has become a point of confusion.

For instance, when I read a post by a member whose political leanings are not known to me, and the post has several "funny" ratings, I now have to click the 'list' button next to the "funny" emoji in order to see who clicked the "funny" button — that's the only way to understand what they meant when they clicked the "funny" button. Only by comparing the political slant of the post to the names in the list who clicked "funny" can one finally understand the clickers' meaning.

Now, if we had the "Get Serious" button I'm suggesting, it would be a simple matter to look at the number of members who used it to get some guage of how the opposition feels about that particular post. Granted it wouldn't be very accurate, but using the "funny" button to show disagreement is ridiculous (but we can't stop people from doing it). Then the "funny" button could go back to being used only to indicate that someone found the post amusing.

It doesn't seem like this issue would be worth all this effort and time, but right now the "funny" button is confusing rather than helpful. Not good for a forum built to discuss politics.

4. TNHarley

TNHarley Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +54,439
    I like my multi-function funny button!

5. OldLady

OldLady Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,218
    We know.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. TNHarley

TNHarley Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +54,439
    Hitting the funny button is better than replying "you idiot" 98 times a day, isnt it?

7. monkrules

monkrules Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    I agree. That's why I'd like to see a better option: the "Get Serious" button.

It would be better to leave the "funny" button to indicate that we found a posted idea amusing. But it's too late now, the "funny" button has been hijacked as a way to quickly state a negative opinion of a post. And there's nothing you and I can do to change that. Nothing, except call for a better option.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  8. OldLady

OldLady Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,218
    One question: If a poster makes a comment that doesn't make their political leanings obvious, why do you need to dig further to try and find it out? Would you be embarrassed to hit agree on a post from someone who is on "the other side?"

Just curious.

9. OldLady

OldLady Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,218
    Well, it's easier for you, that's for sure. You think some remarkably astute and thoughtful people are idiots and funny them on a regular basis.

10. TNHarley

TNHarley Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +54,439
    awesome people say idiotic things. I do it, too. We all do.