How about adding a "Get Serious" button to our feedback options?

Discussion in 'Announcements and Feedback' started by monkrules, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Damaged Eagle

Damaged Eagle Ride the wind Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Never coming back until I touch the midnight sun
    Ratings:
    +19,961
    upload_2017-12-20_18-57-4.jpeg

How about my proposals? Neither one is a neg rep...

#1 Nothing But A Good Time

#2 It Snows In Hell

...As a matter of fact the second one allows me to agree with another poster I really don't want to agree with.

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. monkrules

monkrules Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    With the new software each member gets to add just one rating to a post. As it is right now, the ratings are recorded and counted, then displayed in the post, and under the avatar of the member recieving the rating.

Maybe there is a way to implement a “Get Serious” rating button.

What if the software can be tweaked just a bit. What if it is possible to add a “Get Serious” button that would simply add its rating to the post so that it is visible and counted as other ratings are, but ONLY under the post to which the rating was applied? That would be the only place the GS rating would show a total of the number of times the post was rated.

In other words, keep it from going any further: don’t total or record the GS ratings near the avatar as is done with all the other ratings — and don’t add them to the total number of ratings received by the poster. Simply total the GS ratings IN the post they are meant to rate.

If this could be done, each member could still only apply one GS rating per post, so there would be no way to ‘pile on’ perceived enemies. Yet the new readers to that thread and post would still be able to see instantly, that other members had concerns about that particular post. They would see that four people had rated the post as “Get Serious”, for instance. And the poster of a questionable message could also see that some other members were not too happy with the content of his "too hateful post", for example.

3. monkrules

monkrules Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    A minute ago I read a post I disagreed with but I didn’t want to post a written response to it. So to show a bit of quick sarcasm I hit the “funny” button. Many members use the “funny” button to do this.

In fact, I noticed that two other members had already done the same thing. The original post had been written by a right winger. But the “funny” responses had come from Dems. So clearly they were not agreeing with the OP and were using the “funny” button to show their disagreement.

My point that many members are using the “funny” button NOT to say something is funny, but to show disagreement with a given post. Nut this is not a good solution because the meaning is vague, at best.

Since this is a political ‘discussion’ forum, we really need a new button, something along the lines of the “get serious” button I asked for some time ago. The use of such a button would show clearly that the member does NOT agree with the OP and is stating so in a quick, amusing and snarky way. But the meaning would be crystal clear.

4. Desperado

Desperado Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,572
    a simple "Fuck off and Die" button works for me

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
  5. EvilEyeFleegle

EvilEyeFleegle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,049
    Hmmm...basically..I think folks want a way to attack their foes. It's the way the funny button is used now. You can see the proponents on one side..use the funny rating on every post from the other side..no matter the content really...it's just a 'fuck you' point. Really doesn't seem to mean anything..as some very good posts will get the 'funny' just because it's from 'the other side'.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SassyIrishLass

SassyIrishLass Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +92,939
    If you took away the funny response there are a couple of hags and fags on here who would stroke out. They've overused it the point it has no effect

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. longknife

longknife Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,020
    We've got the little Smiley Face that links us to a lot of them and I suspect most of us find them too difficult to locate and use.

:dig:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Dogmaphobe

Dogmaphobe Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,147
    I have had one moderator mock me more than once by using the funny option when I opposed the rape of children by Muslims.

With a moderator leading the way, I would say that using the funny option as a way to troll is all part of the process here.

9. OldLady

OldLady Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,967
    What might seem nonsense to you may seem perfectly honest and reasonable to someone else. I agree it would be great to have a thumbs down button to "disagree" with, but I wouldn't necessarily let other posters' ratings cause me to "skip" reading a post or a thread.

10. OldLady

OldLady Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,967
    I hate the funny button as a dismissive, insulting comment on a serious post. I don't use it that way and it pisses me off when others do. If you aren't willing to make a comment to disagree/disapprove, just move on. You don't need to reply to it. Until we get a button that would more accurately reflect how we felt about it. The funny button should be for stuff that makes us laugh, but not in a mean way.

• Agree Agree x 3