Houston Employer Pays $125k For Racial Slurs

RadiomanATL wrote:

I just finished washing the kitchen floor. Truly.

Of course, it's because the dishwasher overspilled with soap bubbles, because my children decided that they could use just a wee bit of dish soap in the dishwasher.

OMG, I did that to my gf's dishwasher and we had no choice but to run the cycle through. Bubbles covered her first floor! YIKES!

Alrighty, you can come out of the naughty chair now, seeing as the floor got done.

RadiomanATL wrote:

Of course, it's because the dishwasher overspilled with soap bubbles, because my children decided that they could use just a wee bit of dish soap in the dishwasher.

OMG, I did that to my gf's dishwasher and we had no choice but to run the cycle through. Bubbles covered her first floor! YIKES!

Alrighty, you can come out of the naughty chair now, seeing as the floor got done.

You skip the cycle forward to the drain and rinse, then clean the floor. FYI for future reference :lol:

RadiomanATL wrote:

You skip the cycle forward to the drain and rinse, then clean the floor. FYI for future reference :lol:

LOL. Thankies, but I hope not to need it. I like my massive fuck ups to be unique -- at least to me.

Houston Contractor Settles Discrimination Case -- Occupational Health & Safety

A Houston-area construction company has agreed to pay $122,500 and provide additional remedial relief to resolve a discrimination lawsuit filed by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the agency announced recently. EEOC said Pace Services L.P. discriminated against Mohammad Kaleemuddin because he is of the Islamic faith and of East Indian descent, and against 13 other employees because they are black or Hispanic.

EEOC’s lawsuit (Civil Action No. 4:08cv2886, in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas, Houston Division) asserted that a Pace supervisor referred to Kaleemuddin as “terrorist,” “Taliban,” “Osama,” and “Al-Qaeda.” According to EEOC, despite Kaleemuddin’s complaints, Pace never took action to stop the harassment, which continued up to the day when the supervisor fired him. EEOC further claimed that the same supervisor, as well as others in Pace management, regularly referred to African Americans as “n----s” and to Hispanics as “f-----g Mexicans.”

Under the terms of the consent decree settling the suit, signed by U.S. Magistrate Judge Stephen William Smith, Pace Services will pay $61,250 in relief to compensate Kaleemuddin. An additional $61,250 will be distributed among the other employees who were harassed. In addition to the monetary payments, the decree directs that Pace’s owner shall provide a signed letter of apology to Kaleemuddin; that the manager alleged to have made many of the racist remarks be prohibited from ever working again for Pace; and that Pace provide employee training designed to prevent future discrimination and harassment on the job.
Discuss.

I don't think it's an unreasonable judgment. If the guy had gotten a million dollars, it would have ticked me off, but this was a message and a small token for the people who were insulted (but not likely harmed).

Free speech isn't always free. Actions have consequences. (Try teaching that concept to teenagers) :(

Give me a break, Lonestar. Mebbe I dun know much about what it's like to work as a spy, but a construction worker's "job life" is hardly some big secret. There's a good reason the construction company gets hit with higher workers comp insurance rates than, say, a nail and hair salon.....construction can be dangerous.

I did not say the name-calling itself caused a physical injury. I said a reasonable person subjected to such language might fear the person saying these things would also be careless with his safety. It is worth noting the Muslim employee was also fired -- another injury, and likely how the EEOC measured his damages.

I'm happy to hear your son turned out well. My kidlet would ignore name-calling as well unless -- and this is a big one, try to pay attention here -- it happened in a setting where she had a legal right to demand that it stop. My kidlet is a world beater and would file with the EEOC faster than you can say "Bob's your uncle" if her rights were infringed on, or if she saw a coworker's rights infringed on.

There's certainly nothing at all illegal about being a bigot. I never said there was. What goes on in any American's mind is between him and his conscience....but when he acts out those bigotted 'tudes in the wrong place, wham-o, he gets tagged for it.

I have no clue why you think I'm a bigot. Care to elaborate? That's a hellaish thing to call someone. If you choose not to address this, I'm going to assume you were just unable to think of another insult to hurl at me. Let me supply some for next time: bitch, asshole, shithead. Hope that helps.

The 14th Amendment says no level of US government can deprive anyone of equal protection under the law. The law itself regarding hostile workplace and racial/religious discrimination is federal, mebbe a complimentary state law. Is this news to you, Lonestar?

Spoken like a true liberal idiot.

Your kid sounds like a wimp that needs to "man up"

I have a daughter, so no, she does not need to "man up". If your child wouldn't have the balls to fight for his rights or the rights of his coworkers, I find that sad. Mine does.

Fact is my son doesn't let asshole name callers get the the better of him. He doesn't need to go whine aand cry and file stupid ass lawsuits. That's whats wrong with liberal Americans these days, they bitch 'cause their ice cream is cold and demand the government do something about it instead of solving their own damn problems.

I ♥ new lawyers who are driven by a quest for justice, William Joyce. Are you in law school now?

I wonder if Mr. Lonestar_logic considers William Joyce a wimp and a sensitive cry baby.

Or does he consider him a champion of the oppressed white man's cause?

I have a guess regarding what he says on the thread, and what he actually thinks in his head.

I'll wait for the reply.:cool:

You black fucks are the only ones who are oppressed, remember?

And yes he's a wimp and a sensitive cry baby.

I ♥ new lawyers who are driven by a quest for justice, William Joyce. Are you in law school now?

I wonder if Mr. Lonestar_logic considers William Joyce a wimp and a sensitive cry baby.

I have a guess regarding what he says on the thread, and what he actually thinks in his head.

Hahahahaha! The fight is on!

Lemme get in a lick first.....

Lonestar, why is it "weak" to sue over racial and religious discrimination that is illegal and the culminated in the loss of your job? Do you feel no one ever should assert their rights? Why is William Joyce's desire to be someone's champion, because he views them as unfairly treated, "cry baby-ish"?

Last but not least...who were you calling a "black fuck"? Charming language, BTW...simply charming. A fan of Dr. Laura and her creative use of invective, I presume?

Lonestar, why is it "weak" to sue over racial and religious discrimination that is illegal and the culminated in the loss of your job? Do you feel no one ever should assert their rights? Why is William Joyce's desire to be someone's champion, because he views them as unfairly treated, "cry baby-ish"?

Last but not least...who were you calling a "black fuck"? Charming language, BTW...simply charming. A fan of Dr. Laura and her creative use of invective, I presume?

First off, no one is entitled to a job. Secondly no ones rights were violated. You do not have the right to not be offended. It's my opinion that all anti-descrimination laws are bullshit and should all be repealed along with affirmative action.

My opinion about Joyce is just that.

Blacks fucks or no different than liberal fucks. If that offends you, then sue me!

First off, no one is entitled to a job. Secondly no ones rights were violated. You do not have the right to not be offended. It's my opinion that all anti-descrimination laws are bullshit and should all be repealed along with affirmative action.

My opinion about Joyce is just that.

Blacks fucks or no different than liberal fucks. If that offends you, then sue me!

It takes more'n a dash of bigotry to rouse me to bring suit, Lonestar. Would love for you to comment on this here other thread....

http://www.usmessageboard.com/education-and-history/136316-whites-kept-from-elite-universities.html

Why, yes, all of that.

It's one of the things that motivated me to go to law school, in fact.

I'd like to start a career focusing on reverse discrimination cases. I think that this actually an UNDER-litigated area of American law. Only a tiny percentage of the whites who suffer discrimination actually sue. If I can persuade the rest to, then I'd be rich.

I hate that term

RadiomanATL wrote:

You and your girlfriend on a floor covered in bubbles is how that reads to me :eusa_drool:

RadiomanATL wrote:

You and your girlfriend on a floor covered in bubbles is how that reads to me :eusa_drool:

images

Why, yes, all of that.

I'd like to start a career focusing on reverse discrimination cases. I think that this actually an UNDER-litigated area of American law. Only a tiny percentage of the whites who suffer discrimination actually sue. If I can persuade the rest to, then I'd be rich.

I hate that term

Do you prefer caucasian-impaired? melatonin-deprived? Think it over and get back to us....he he he.

Why, yes, all of that.

I hate that term

Do you prefer caucasian-impaired? melatonin-deprived? Think it over and get back to us....he he he.

It's just discrimination

Been in practice about 8 years, mostly insurance defense and other types of civil litigation. Worked for the government and a firm.

I do think the only way to set up a reverse discrimination practice would be to go out on my own, or in a small set-up. I pitched my law firm on a reverse discrimination case and they were quick to say no. It's a matter of being able to fund the work you WANT to do with the work that pays the bills.

Been in practice about 8 years, mostly insurance defense and other types of civil litigation. Worked for the government and a firm.

I do think the only way to set up a reverse discrimination practice would be to go out on my own, or in a small set-up. I pitched my law firm on a reverse discrimination case and they were quick to say no. It's a matter of being able to fund the work you WANT to do with the work that pays the bills.

Amazing how your peer group regards terrorists of more deserving of "rights" than victims of reverse discrimination.

Amazing how your peer group regards terrorists of more deserving of "rights" than victims of reverse discrimination.

Law firms make decisions about new clients based upon economics, Revere. I have never come across one that allowed politics to dictate whom they would represent.

Forum List

Back