Houston Astrodome,8th wonder of the world once.

LA RAM FAN

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2008
its disgusting that the average lifetime span of a baseball stadium these days is 20 to 30 years before they already need a new one.England has buildings that have stood for over a 1000 years and yet we cant do the same with sports stadiums?:rolleyes:

Hard to believe at one time back in 1965 the Houston Astrodome was coined the 8th wonder of the world and then a mere 30 years later it was considered obsolete.:wtf:

Constructed in 1964, the Astrodome was deemed the “Eighth Wonder of the World” when it opened in 1965.
The Astrodome | National Trust for Historic Preservation

How many other baseball stadiums were built in the 70's and 80's and are now gone as well? SF Giants,Pittsburgh Pirates just to name a few.

It doesnt stop with baseball either,the atlanta falcons already need a new stadium apparently after just getting one 20 years ago.how pathetic and sad america is.:rolleyes:

I don't really care for domed stadium, it is unfortunate that some places (such as here in Arizona) can't do without. Chase Field home of the D-backs doesn't appeal to me, felt mighty strange being in a box as compared to what I was used to in old Cleveland Municipal Stadium and Detroit's Tiger Stadium.

More specific to the topic, Atlanta comes to mind in having both the Falcons and the Braves replacing 2 relatively new stadiums. One city that seems to have done things right is Kansas City with the Royals and Chiefs, at least from here across the country they both seem to be fine stadiums that have stood the test of time. I've never been to Dodger Stadium but to me it represents the cream of the crop as far as stadiums that have reached their golden years.

its disgusting that the average lifetime span of a baseball stadium these days is 20 to 30 years before they already need a new one.England has buildings that have stood for over a 1000 years and yet we cant do the same with sports stadiums?:rolleyes:

Hard to believe at one time back in 1965 the Houston Astrodome was coined the 8th wonder of the world and then a mere 30 years later it was considered obsolete.:wtf:

Constructed in 1964, the Astrodome was deemed the “Eighth Wonder of the World” when it opened in 1965.

How many other baseball stadiums were built in the 70's and 80's and are now gone as well? SF Giants,Pittsburgh Pirates just to name a few.

It doesnt stop with baseball either,the atlanta falcons already need a new stadium apparently after just getting one 20 years ago.how pathetic and sad america is.:rolleyes:

"the eighth wonder of the world" applied to the Houston Astrodome is ridiculous. There have been a lot more impressive accomplishments in human engineering.

I don't really care for domed stadium, it is unfortunate that some places (such as here in Arizona) can't do without. Chase Field home of the D-backs doesn't appeal to me, felt mighty strange being in a box as compared to what I was used to in old Cleveland Municipal Stadium and Detroit's Tiger Stadium.

More specific to the topic, Atlanta comes to mind in having both the Falcons and the Braves replacing 2 relatively new stadiums. One city that seems to have done things right is Kansas City with the Royals and Chiefs, at least from here across the country they both seem to be fine stadiums that have stood the test of time. I've never been to Dodger Stadium but to me it represents the cream of the crop as far as stadiums that have reached their golden years.

the Truman sports complex was the pioneer of all stadiums that are here now,they were the first sports franchise that played in two different stadiums,they set the bar and standard here in KC for all baseball and football teams,they were copycats off of them.:D

yeah i hate dome stadiums,that is what has ruined pro football for me.That is a travesty of justice that the vikings and Lions play in domed stadiums,the freaking game was meant to be played out doors for god sakes!!!!!! here is what I have to say to the NFL.FUCK YOU-:up_yours:

"the eighth wonder of the world" applied to the Houston Astrodome is ridiculous. There have been a lot more impressive accomplishments in human engineering.

whats hilarious about it is it called the 8th wonder of the world,yet it was so amazing,marvelous,and fantastic,that it is not even used now.
comedy gold.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha:

whats hilarious about it is it called the 8th wonder of the world,yet it was so amazing,marvelous,and fantastic,that it is not even used now.
comedy gold.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha:
No one uses the great pyramids anymore either...

comedy gold.

The whole area around NO smells like a sewer. They HAD to do something to distract from that FACT. Obviously their dome is no more special than dozens of other domes in the country...let alone many marvelous "wonders" in the world. I think one of my ex girlfriends, Sally's, tits should be as least as much a "wonder" as their stupid dome. How those beauty's stuck out and up the way they defied gravity was truly a natural wonder.

comedy gold.

Thankfully it takes more to impress human beings any more. Most human beings anyway. There are still an embarrassing number that get all excited over shiny objects and flashy used car salesmen types. Did somebody mention Trump? Oh ya...HE did. He has his name on everything he has done. He probably believes that HE is an eighth wonder of the world.

comedy gold.
apples and oranges dude.:biggrin:

comedy gold.
I agree that "wonder of the world" used to describe the Astrodome was overblown. It was impressive engineering for its day though. Much like the Eiffel Tower, Hoover Dam, Panama Canal, Golden Gate Bridge, etc.

comedy gold.
I agree that "wonder of the world" used to describe the Astrodome was overblown. It was impressive engineering for its day though. Much like the Eiffel Tower, Hoover Dam, Panama Canal, Golden Gate Bridge, etc.
yeah it should have never been billed as that even though it was impressive at the time.I never seen a baseball game played indoors so I would have liked to compare it to the twins or the mariners domes having the chance to be in those two domes as well back then to do the comparisons to see if it EARNED that nickname,if it was so much greater than those other two.

Forum List

Back