House republicans claim people making $450,000 a year are middle class?

WinterBorn

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2011
Atlanta
House Republicans claim an annual salary of $450,000 is middle class

"On Thursday, House Republicans issued a fact sheet about their new tax cut plan that referred to Americans earning $450,000 a year as “low- and middle-income”—even though that income level would put those taxpayers in the top 0.5 percent of all individual Americans.

The median household income in the United States is $59,039, after all."

Middle class??? I am not going to argue the tax cuts or anything like that. I just want to hear justification for considering a couple who makes $450k as being middle class.

"On Thursday, House Republicans issued a fact sheet about their new tax cut plan that referred to Americans earning $450,000 a year as “low- and middle-income”—even though that income level would put those taxpayers in the top 0.5 percent of all individual Americans.

Middle class??? I am not going to argue the tax cuts or anything like that. I just want to hear justification for considering a couple who makes $450k as being middle class.
If you want to hear justification email those who made that statement rather than asking random STRANGERS on the internet.

Lol

If you want to hear justification email those who made that statement rather than asking random STRANGERS on the internet.

Lol

I doubt the justifications by professional politicians would be as entertaining.

They're stuck in the bubble. My brother lives in Alexandria, VA. His house is half the size of mine on a quarter of the property...and it was over 15 times more expensive ($650,000 and $42,000 respectively).

I lived in the Washington Metro area for awhile...the cost of living there is staggering. I'm not making excuses for the Republicans...they are out of touch...but in their circles, $450,000 IS middle class.

Hell, if that is middle class, I'll move to America and happily be LOWER class. What would that top out at? 200k?

They're stuck in the bubble. My brother lives in Alexandria, VA. His house is half the size of mine on a quarter of the property...and it was over 15 times more expensive ($650,000 and $42,000 respectively).

I lived in the Washington Metro area for awhile...the cost of living there is staggering. I'm not making excuses for the Republicans...they are out of touch...but in their circles, $450,000 IS middle class.
A $450k house is middle class here in DC but income would be around $70k to $200k.

I would love to be that kind of middle class

Rich, middle class, poor — it’s all relative. Most people living in what is defined as poverty in America today would be considered wealthy compared to any time period prior to industrialization.

Yeah, I guess you could look at D.C., New York City, Chicago and California and attempt to make that argument but the rest of the nation 450k is not middle class by any means...

Maybe 150k to 250k could be argued but almost a half a million is one I could not agree with.

I guess it depends on where you live and the cost of living...

Rich, middle class, poor — it’s all relative. Most people living in what is defined as poverty in America today would be considered wealthy compared to any time period prior to industrialization.
So basically you are saying LBJ won the war on poverty!!

Saying "middle-class" is really just an aggregate number averaged over the entire nation, it doesn't actually speak to the "reality" of any particular persons in any particular area. In Alaska, for example, the median average income is $70k, so our "middle-class" would be say $80k ish, which is more than the "middle-class" of other states and less than the "middle-class" of others. They say that the "middle class" of the 50s are equivalent to today's millionaires.

It illustrates just how clueless and out of touch Republican are – the GOP is indeed the party of the rich, its agenda detrimental to middle and income Americans.

How can we hand out more welfare if we don't create more people who need it by any means necessary

Yet you have no problem with welfare for the corps and the military, do you? Most people on welfare are those who are disabled, seniors, and the working poor, thanks to greedy corps.

Forum List

Back