House GOP’s Ryan to unveil new budget

From the OP link........

But the document will be an important symbolic outline of Republican priorities in a key election year

I find this a very telling statement.

So what the article is stating is that Ryan will be the one to set the priorities for the entire GOP platform?

The same Ryan whose last budget eliminated Medicare as we know it?

Ryan?s Budget Attempts to End Medicare and Shift Costs to Seniors

The same Ryan whose budget his own party and the American people rejected?

Poll: Conservatives And Republicans Oppose Ryan Budget | TPMDC

Poll: Americans don’t support Ryan-budget | Right Across the Atlantic

THIS guy will be setting the GOP priorties in the upcoming election?

I can't wait to see the details. This ought to be good. :popcorn:
Yep, that Ryan. :D

From the OP link........

So what the article is stating is that Ryan will be the one to set the priorities for the entire GOP platform?

The reason that Ryan "eliminated" Medicare as we know it...is that Medicare as we know it won't remain solvent as the baby boomers retire. Paul Ryan is one of the few Washington politicians with the character to tackle what is considered a political "third rail". He's actually making suggestions on how to FIX a looming catastrophe as opposed to Barack Obama who has kicked that can down the road...as usual.

Destroying it is not fixing it.

But let's wait to see what the details will be and how the average working class American reacts.

Especially if it will form the GOP platform.

Yeah, thats just a widely used democrat talking point to scare old people into voting for them. If Ryan ended it as we know it, than why don't democrats propose a plan to fix it?

Funny thing is your party wants so much to save the future with all these ideas to spend money on global warming and green energy, but they haven't shown any concern for problems in medicare or SS's future...why is that??

When brave people like Ryan take on these issues, all we get is demgoging from democrats, and division.

House GOP’s Ryan to unveil new budget - The Washington Post

Congress is preparing to renew its bitter fight over government spending, as both parties eagerly await the arrival Tuesday of a new budget plan authored by Republican Rep. Paul Ryan (Wis.).

The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee immediately responded with a series of statements charging that Ryan will lean on seniors to reduce the debt without addressing tax rates for the wealthy.
magically, Democrats know what is in the proposal, even before it is made. How... precognitive of them.

Of course it is. The real 'Party of no' couldn't possibly even seriously consider a proposal by a mere Republican. Not in an election year.

Republican leaders believe it is critical to unify the often fractious House GOP around such a document, in part to contrast the Republican-led House with the Democratic-led Senate, which has failed to pass a budget, as required by law, in nearly three years.
Odd how I have yet to see a democratic leaning poster in here condemn the Democrat-led Senate for not following the law for 3 years.

Ryan also must decide whether to replicate the Medicare reform package he included in last year’s budget, which would provide seniors payments to purchase private insurance.

He could instead include the revamped version that he unveiled late last year with Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.). It would preserve a government-run Medicare option alongside new private plans.
Well, at least 1 Democrat understands the meaning on bipartisan.

I wonder how many wars the dems will say the gop is in after this one.

I guess I'd have to see the proposal.

I'm asked all the time, by clients, friends and strangers alike, "will my Social Security be there?" -- my answer is always the same. "Yes, your Social Security will be there, Medicare is the one to worry about."

"Cutting Medicare" doesn't provide enough information, and I'd have several questions. If Medicare benefits are cut, private insurance would step in to fill in the cracks. It already does that via Medicare Supplements and Medicare Advantage (which is far more efficient than you are led to believe). The questions would then be (1) how big a role would private insurance play, and (2) what cost containment/efficiency measures would be put in place to mitigate cost increases to seniors.

Until we know those answers, debating the crucial Medicare portion of the plan is a waste of time.

Every dem in the Senate is a criminal and should be arrested.

If I committed a crime every-single-day and people knew about it.

How long would I remain free and loved by my neighbors?

you don't think the choice of the word "criminal" is a bit ridiculous, hon?

And if paul ryan's idea of a budget is again a voucher system to replace medicare, then his next budget will be DOA, too...

perhaps if the GOP House wants to stop proposing things they know are going to fail?

Last edited:
From the OP link........

But the document will be an important symbolic outline of Republican priorities in a key election year

you must have skipped this part...
Ryan also must decide whether to replicate the Medicare reform package he included in last year’s budget, which would provide seniors payments to purchase private insurance.

He could instead include the revamped version that he unveiled late last year with Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.). It would preserve a government-run Medicare option alongside new private plans.
Don't care much for bipartisanship, eh?

Any word on when the Senate unveil a budget?

Duh, all bills originate in the House, not the Senate. When the House sends them a bill, only then are they authorized to amend it. That's basic seventh grade civics.

A subject you obviously failed, if you believe that the Senate cannot introduce a bill.
Legislative Process – How the Congressional Legislative Process Works
Only a member of Congress (House or Senate) can introduce the bill for consideration.

It's not about "government spending". It's about moving the wealth of the country to the top 1%, something Republicans work desperately for and Democrats work against.

Any word on when the Senate unveil a budget?

The budget gets proposed by the House, then voted on by the Senate.

not technically correct...

United States budget process - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Budget resolution

The next step is the drafting of a budget resolution. The United States House Committee on the Budget and the United States Senate Committee on the Budget are responsible for drafting budget resolutions. Following the traditional calendar, by early April both committees finalize their drafts and submit it to their respective floors for consideration and adoption.

A budget resolution, which is one form of a concurrent resolution, binds Congress, but is not a law, and so does not require the President's signature. The budget resolution serves as a blueprint for the actual appropriation process, and provides Congress with some control over the appropriations process. No new spending authority, however, is provided until appropriation bills are enacted.

Once both houses pass the resolution, selected Representatives and Senators negotiate a conference report to reconcile differences between the House and the Senate versions. The conference report, in order to become binding, must be approved by both the House and Senate.

It's not about "government spending". It's about moving the wealth of the country to the top 1%, something Republicans work desperately for and Democrats work against.

thanks for yet another post that has zero to do with the thread topic.

Any time Republicans come up with a budget plan, it's always about "getting" the middle class. After 30 years of doing just that, why change? What have Republicans done for the majority of Americans in the last 30 years? All their policies are either failures, designed to help the rich or both.

thanks for yet another post that has zero to do with the thread topic.

Any time Republicans come up with a budget plan, it's always about "getting" the middle class. After 30 years of doing just that, why change? What have Republicans done for the majority of Americans in the last 30 years? All their policies are either failures, designed to help the rich or both.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......................

Ryan's "medicare" plan relies upon either insurance companies to make up cost inefficiencies or for seniors to pay what their "subsidy" doesn't.
Why don't you just ask the American people if they trust insurance companies to keep costs down when they're on the hook for the additional amount? That's what you're doing, aren't you?

Forum List

Back