House GOPers War On Birth Control

H.R. 358 is Part of House Republican Leadership War on Contraception | National Women's Law Center

Angry yet? I know I'd like to punch someone.

These guys did say they would be all about jobs, am I correct? And instead, they're about setting back women's rights 100 years?

Your thoughts?

What I can't understand is how your can be against abortion and birth control at the same time

Seems counterproductive

If you cant understand it, then you have not tried to understand it.
Why are you so critical of those that have a strong belief in something?

Me? I believe abortion is murder...that is my belief system. However, I have grown to understand that others believe that life begins months after conception and I respect it, understand it, disagree with it, but, again, respect it....and as an American, I will always vote in favor of choice.

Maybe you should learn to respect the belief system of others....you dont need to agree with it....but respect it.

It may help you understand it.

I fully understand how you can believe abortion is murder. It is an ethical issue
I personally oppose it but recognize it is here to stay
What I don't understand is how anyone could then oppose birth control which reduces the need for unnecessary abortions

Isn't cutting down the need for abortions a desirable goal?

Last edited:
What I can't understand is how your can be against abortion and birth control at the same time

Seems counterproductive

Me? I believe abortion is murder...that is my belief system. However, I have grown to understand that others believe that life begins months after conception and I respect it, understand it, disagree with it, but, again, respect it....and as an American, I will always vote in favor of choice.

Maybe you should learn to respect the belief system of others....you dont need to agree with it....but respect it.

I fully understand how you can believe abortion is murder. It is an ethical issue
What I don't understand is how anyone could then oppose birth control which reduces the need for unnecessary abortions

Not if the taxpayer has to pay for it. Buy your own damn birth control or quit screwing around.

It's an attack on birth control? It's about nannyism isn't it? Any grown woman who decides to fuck doesn't need the taxpayer to buy her birth control pills.. for god's sake where does it all end?? You people are nutz.

Michele Bachman criticized Michelle Obama for supporting tax breaks for breast pumps and looser rules allowing women to breastfeed in the workplace, calling it an example of a "nanny state." That's where you got it, Willow. You're not smart enough to have any ideas of your own. Just repeat what you hear from the stupidest leaders of the GOP. That's all you ever do.

Oh, so now we gotta give you birth control which you will not use then feed, house, educate you babies and pump yo breasties??

Yes

If you oppose abortion you have to feed, house and educate all those unwanted children. What do you want to do with them?

Seems counterproductive

I personally oppose it but recognize it is here to stay

Logically, yes.

However, many believe that birth control is a sin as well...certtainly all that see that birth control is a sin, see abortion as a sin....not necessarily visa-versa.

But that being said....it is not hard to understand that many see both a sin.

And then there are others, such as myslef that say..."do as you wish, but dont make me pay for it as it is against my belief system"

Michele Bachman criticized Michelle Obama for supporting tax breaks for breast pumps and looser rules allowing women to breastfeed in the workplace, calling it an example of a "nanny state." That's where you got it, Willow. You're not smart enough to have any ideas of your own. Just repeat what you hear from the stupidest leaders of the GOP. That's all you ever do.

Oh, so now we gotta give you birth control which you will not use then feed, house, educate you babies and pump yo breasties??

Yes

If you oppose abortion you have to feed, house and educate all those unwanted children. What do you want to do with them?

I want their friggin parents to feed clothe and medicate them. I'll go along with the education.

Today, the House Energy and Commerce Committee held its first business meeting of the year to consider H.R. 358, the misnamed Protect Life Act, that would prevent women from using even their own private funds to pay for insurance plans that cover abortion and would significantly expand refusal calls that allow women to be denied treatment, even in circumstances where their health or lives are in jeopardy.

During the debate, members of the Committee finally admitted what we knew to be true: hidden under the cloak of so-called "taxpayer funding for abortion," H.R. 358 allows states to deny insurance coverage of birth control.

That's right: the Pitts bill is part of the war on contraception that's being waged by House Republican leaders. They're pushing a spending plan that eliminates the Title X family planning program, which for forty years has provided contraceptives and other basic preventive health care to women in need. They're trying to defund Planned Parenthood, the nation's largest provider of contraceptive care. They are trying to prevent states from even exercising an option to expand contraceptive coverage under state Medicaid programs. And now, they are allowing states to deny women coverage of contraception under the Affordable Care Act.

H.R. 358 is Part of House Republican Leadership War on Contraception | National Women's Law Center

These guys did say they would be all about jobs, am I correct? And instead, they're about setting back women's rights 100 years?

Your thoughts?

How is expecting a "woman" (Planned Parenthood has provided this....service.... for many children, including some in abusive and illegal relationships) to plan and pay for her own contraceptives pushing women back 100 years? Isn't that elevating them to the same status as "white men" (you know responsible for all their own evils and half of the evils that happen to be in their local area)?

Conservatives generally object to educating our youth in the proper use of a condom; and sexual matters are highly restricted areas of discussion as part of a comprehensive health education program in our public schools.
Simply not true.

Yet many still continue to spread lies that abortion is the contraceptive of choice, ignoring the fact that unwanted pregnanacy can be a result of ignorance, abuse, incest or rape.

Abortion is used as birth control when contraceptives fail, were forgotten or not used which covers the ignorance you posted about and covers more than 99% of abortions done.

The fear mongering of pregnancies from violence really has no place in the discussion.

You have to put yourself into the shoes of a young, unmarried pregnant woman and ask why is she considering an abortion..

1. She got pregnant unexpectantly
2. She is afraid to tell her parents
3. Her boyfriend is pressuring her to abort
4. She can't afford prenatal and maternity care
5. She will have to leave her job
6. She is afraid of who might adopt her baby
7. She can't afford to keep a baby right now

Until you can reslove those reasons (and other reasons) for getting an abortion, you will still have a high rate of abortion. If you want to ignore them or say "thats her responsibility...she shouldn't have gotten pregnant"

You will continue to have unacceptable abortion rates in this country

Last edited:

Not if the taxpayer has to pay for it. Buy your own damn birth control or quit screwing around.

I do love people like RW who try to tell others what their goals are and should be, don't you? I guess he assumes the rest of the world is too stupid to figure out their own goals and priorities for themselves.

You have to put yourself into the shoes of a young, unmarried pregnant woman and ask why is she considering an abortion..

1. She got pregnant unexpectantly
2. She is afraid to tell her parents
3. Her boyfriend is pressuring her to abort
4. She can't afford prenatal and maternety care
5. She will have to leave her job
6. She is afraid of who might adopt her baby
7. She can't afford to keep a baby right now

Until you can reslove those reasons (and other reasons) for getting an abortion, you will still have a high rate of abortion. If you want to ignore them or say "thats her responsibility...she shouldn't have gotten pregnant"

A little off point (just a little) but every reason you gave is abortion as birth control.

I'm comfortable with the Hyde Amendment as a measure for when taxpayers money should be used for abortion. If the Dems would stop trying to force Americans to pay for abortions, the GOP wouldn't have to waste time fighting it.

They do these things to poke us in the eye.... then the bitch because we fight back.

You libz are just plain mentally challenged or dare I say retarded!

1. She got pregnant unexpectantly stop fucking outta wed lock
2. She is afraid to tell her parents Maybe she should think of that before she fucks
3. Her boyfriend is pressuring her to abort He is a dirtbag and she should leave him
4. She can't afford prenatal and maternety care Maybe she should think of that before she fucks

5. She will have to leave her job Maybe she should think of that before she fucks

6. She is afraid of who might adopt her baby Maybe she should think of that before she fucks

7. She can't afford to keep a baby right now Maybe she should think of that before she fucks

Until you can reslove those reasons (and other reasons) for getting an abortion, you will still have a high rate of abortion. If you want to ignore them or say "thats her responsibility...she shouldn't have gotten pregnant" :clap2:

There I answered EVERYONE of them for ya..... took me about a minute to do, and it was free!

Christ onna cracker. The bill addresses covered i-n-s-u-r-a-n-c-e benefits, not Medicaid or CHAMPUS. You geniuses slay me -- pull a few "feel good" anti-abortion slogans out of your asses and you think that qualifies as "debate". Even though your points have nothing whatsoever to do with the TOPIC.

You'll find that I have little interest in "debate" on this or any topic, Madeline. My opinions/views do not change.

If an insurance company is taking money from the government, I don't believe they should be covering these things. That is using MY MONEY (via taxes) to cover procedures and products which I believe are immoral and contrary to the betterment of the United States as a whole. Is that on topic enough for you?

Anyone here, married or single, want to be able to access the birth control method her MD reccomends? Or do you think House GOPers know what's best for you?

Umm... I don't think I've seen anything that would make usage of the products illegal. It simply pushes the payment for those products bak where it belongs.... onto the individual choosing to use it, not the insurance company. From what I've read, so long as the insurance company doesn't take government funding, they would still be free to cover abortions and birth control. Sounds totally fair to me.

Insurance companies are not subsidized by the federal gov't, Anachronism. Some people will be forced to buy insurance who might not have otherwise, but it remains entirely private in nature. Except now, they can refuse to cover birth control as the GOP seems to think that's "best" for the middle class.

Again, mad enough to punch a wall here.

Either way, I have no interest in seeing MY tax monies being used for Abortions OR Birth Control.

Christ onna cracker. The bill addresses covered i-n-s-u-r-a-n-c-e benefits, not Medicaid or CHAMPUS. You geniuses slay me -- pull a few "feel good" anti-abortion slogans out of your asses and you think that qualifies as "debate". Even though your points have nothing whatsoever to do with the TOPIC.

Anyone here, married or single, want to be able to access the birth control method her MD reccomends? Or do you think House GOPers know what's best for you?

And I've asked three times now for you to please show us the section that prohibits insurance coverage for birth control that is not abortion. If it's in there, please show me where it is, because I haven't seen it.

Read the bill. Read the analysis of the bill in the article I linked in the Op. If you disagree with the analysis, bring it on...I am happy to hear all about it.

But claiming that because you cannot find the words "no health insurance policy may cover birth control or its attendant costs" supports your conclusion that the analysis is wrong is foolish. As you may have noticed, Newby, not all legislation with a bad or controversial intent is written so that the average fourth grader can understand.

Everyone -- except the GOP, apparently -- agrees that that wider use of birth control to prevent unwanted pregnancy would be best. Read the linked article in the Op, Willow. This is not merely an attack on abortion rights.

It is an attack on birth control.

It's an attack on birth control? It's about nannyism isn't it? Any grown woman who decides to fuck doesn't need the taxpayer to buy her birth control pills.. for god's sake where does it all end?? You people are nutz.

For the 1,001th time -- this bill has fuck-all to do with TAXPAYER dollars. It is about covered insurance benefits.

Imagine if the GOP were debating outlawing the coverage of any treatments for erectile dysfunction or testicular cancer? Why should men's health care be sacred but yet women's health care be denied?

If she used a pill and he used a rubber, then the whole world would be de populated shortly,, and no blood will have been spilled.. what is it about demonRats that the lust for hacking up the unborn,, what is that shit? :cuckoo:

Conservatives generally object to educating our youth in the proper use of a condom; and sexual matters are highly restricted areas of discussion as part of a comprehensive health education program in our public schools.
Yet many still continue to spread lies that abortion is the contraceptive of choice, ignoring the fact that unwanted pregnanacy can be a result of ignorance, abuse, incest or rape.
That's because our "youth" should not be having sex.
For tose of you who use the excuse " kids will be kids and it's going to happen(sexually active teens)"....Have 100% of the responsibility to teach your kids about the consequences of sexual intercourse...Yes, I stated "consequences"...
Of course the Left thinks that sex should be free of consequences.....Not so.
Fact is that most abortions are performed out of convenience or for birth control.
The taxpayers should be be funding abortion for birth control or someone's convenience.

Should fertile married women get to have sex?

I'm disappointed that they're attempting to prohibit the use of PRIVATE funds for abortion and contraception. That is going too far in my mind. However, I am of the belief that it is not the place of the government to be paying for either of those things.

Then again, my beliefs on abortion, sex, and relationships in general do not meld very well with the generally accepted opinions on those topics these days. I'm against abortion in almost all cases (rape, incest, imminent health of the mother being the exceptions). I am against casual sex as a rule (it should be reserved for committed relationships). I believe in a much more traditional relationship model than most men and women these days.

To that end, I have no problem with a health insurance company being allowed to deny women payment for birth control and/or abortions. I definitely don't think the government should be paying for either. IF someone wishes to use birth control (and I have/do use condoms myself and I've been with women who use oral contraceptives) it should be paid for out of their own pocket. If they can find a plan that will agree to cover oral contraceptives without it being mandated, GREAT. They're still going to pay for it in the premiums. Of course the most effective form of birth control is the one this generation refuses to accept.... abstinance.

I wonder exactly when the GOPers in the House decided that birth control, of all the various kinds of health care, could be a non-covered benefit, Anachronism? What gives them -- or you -- the right to control the private lives of women they don't know, married or not?

This is insane, it is not the platform the campaigned on (anyone remember "jobs, jobs, jobs"?) and it is Victorian in its morality.

Abstinence? Are you serious?

No one is controlling anything. What the Congress is doing is clarifying what is allowed to be covered by the taxpayers and what is not.
Abortion remains legal. And as the left sates so very often is a CHOICE....A choice between a woman and here doctor. and as such with choices we bear the full responsibility of our choices.
Look, the Left champions Roe v Wade. However , the Left must accept the pros and cons of the decision.
The taxpayers should in no way bear the burden of a CHOICE made by any individual.

Can't you people read? This is NOT about taxpayer funding for abortion -- it is about covered insurance benefits for birth control that you and I pay for via insurance premiums.

Christ onna cracker, you guys are gonna drive me to drink with this knee-jerk idiocy, I swear.

Today, the House Energy and Commerce Committee held its first business meeting of the year to consider H.R. 358, the misnamed Protect Life Act, that would prevent women from using even their own private funds to pay for insurance plans that cover abortion and would significantly expand refusal calls that allow women to be denied treatment, even in circumstances where their health or lives are in jeopardy.

During the debate, members of the Committee finally admitted what we knew to be true: hidden under the cloak of so-called "taxpayer funding for abortion," H.R. 358 allows states to deny insurance coverage of birth control.

That's right: the Pitts bill is part of the war on contraception that's being waged by House Republican leaders. They're pushing a spending plan that eliminates the Title X family planning program, which for forty years has provided contraceptives and other basic preventive health care to women in need. They're trying to defund Planned Parenthood, the nation's largest provider of contraceptive care. They are trying to prevent states from even exercising an option to expand contraceptive coverage under state Medicaid programs. And now, they are allowing states to deny women coverage of contraception under the Affordable Care Act.

Your thoughts?

I say set the women back 120 years.

I'd like to die before women could vote again.

Were women allowed to drive in the late 1800s?

Thankies for checking in, Newt Gingrich. If we need you, we'll let you know.

Either way, I have no interest in seeing MY tax monies being used for Abortions OR Birth Control.

How do you want your tax dollars spent? Foreign wars of choice, Star Wars Technology, Corporate Welfare and on no-bid contracts to the cronys of a Vice President are a few of the ways I object to my tax dollars being spent.
Preventing disease and helping families with children born with chronic and congenital maladies seems to me a higher purpose for my tax dollars, vis a vis killing children in foreign nations (albiet they are usually only collateral damage) on the pretense a foreign government desires a WMD.
Cut the crap and stop obfuscating....
This is about removing a federal insurance mandate that requires health policies cover elective abortions and medical birth control( Pill,diaphragm) for women..

No, it is not. It is about granting states the power to prohibit insurance policies sold there from covering abortion OR BIRTH CONTROL.

Holy fuck, is it Annoy A Reader Day on USMB?

Cut the crap and stop obfuscating....
This is about removing a federal insurance mandate that requires health policies cover elective abortions and medical birth control( Pill,diaphragm) for women..

Can you explain to me why these insurance policies SHOULD be mandated to require coverage for elective abortion and medical birth control? Both are ELECTIVE procedures/products. Insurance companies should be allowed to choose whether they cover them, and if they do, to charge a premium for those elective coverages.
These mandates should NOT exist!
You may have misunderstood my position.

Forum List

Back