House GOP to vote NO on stimulus package

I can already see the major problem with this thread when it comes to people who feel this businesses should just fail.

Many did what you say Avatar, "Be honest, work hard, and live within your means."

I hate it when people assume that everybody who is broke or going out of business is because they are greedy. :eusa_eh:

You've made it perfectly clear that you dont like the truth on multiple occasions. Why should this one be any different?

And no, many people weren't honest. Many people didnt work hard. And you can't tell me with a straight face that people have lived within their means. The American people is in debt up to their eyeballs. And you have the audacity to proclaim to me that they are living within their means.

When you create an economy based on a lie, it will never sustain myself. When you take debts you can't pay back. And some who take debts who wont pay them back, the fall is inevitable. Because your foundation is built on lies.

You arent going to die if you dont get the new plasma screen tv. You arent going to die if you have to get buy using one car instead of 3. Or if you, heaven forbid, have to stay home and cook a meal rather than go to McDonalds (which i might point out has excellent profits right now).

You cant maintain an economy that has its foundation in debt. Because sooner or later the bottom will fall out. If you think the economy is bad now, wait till the bottom completely falls out.

And it is specifically because people are dishonest. It's because rather than working hard, people would rather try to scam money from other people. They wont put in their full value. And they wont live within their means. They have to have something more.

and you know what, your dishonesty, greed, and poor financial planning effects other people as well. And there isnt a damn thing washington can do to fix your poor financial and character habits. Spending more money isnt going to solve anything. The best you can hope for is another illusion of prosperity before we face the same damn problem.

And you sure as heck dont fix problems by throwing money at companies that are hemeraging. You'd have better luck flushing the money down the toilet. Because it doesnt fix the problem.

Money, like government, doesnt solve a problem.

The firet step is to get rid of or redue the bad regulations that gave us the housing collapse in the first place there are a lot of businesses out that are going to go down like ajax smply because government rules and regulations at various levels left them no other choice than to gamble on a housing market that would always keep climbing price wise. Unfortunately once prices rise beyond a certain limit there simply is not enough people able to buy them hence the correction. and alot of them (new homes) are going to set empty even at half the contruction price, in many case upwards of 150 k, simply because most people are priced out of the market.

Last edited:
the people didn't vote for Republicans, they voted for youse guys. So youse guys get off yer azz and vote it in already. Then take the glory or the heat. Whichever. got guts?

IMO many who voted for President Obama did not vote for him as much as they voted against the arrogance, hypocrisy, and lack of vision that is the current Republican party. They are void of ideas or at least the ability to articulate them. The Republicans abandoned the principles that elevated them to office and now they have to find their soul. Many conservatives set the last one out while moderates no longer trusted their direction; allowing the "new" guy a shot at bat seemed the wiser choice. I believe many who voted for President Obama believed they were getting a JFK when in fact they are getting some Jimmy Carter/Adlai Stevenson hybrid.

As you suggested, the Democrats will likely need no cooperation from the other side. They have the ideas but do they have the guts to implement them? Of course none of this will matter if Republicans can't stand for something that resonates with the citizens of this country.

All this is true. My point is, for once, I wasnt the Dems to take responsiblility for their actions. Just once would be nice.

I for one will not be fooled by the GOP. They can oppose the stimulus and try to portray themselves as champions of limited government, but their recent history proves otherwise. The headline should read "GOP will oppose this particular version of the stimulus package".

I know this is conjecture on my part, but I seriously doubt the GOP would oppose a stimulus package if McCain had won the Presidency and the GOP hadn't have taken a colossal bitch-slapping in the Congressional races.

As long as the conditions which are the source of the problem are not corrected, then I am quite frankly very dubious that anything the government is planning on doing will help.

More, as long as the conditions which are the source of the problem are not corrected, then the government doing nothing will not help, either.

If too few Americans making a living wage while working for a living caused the problem, then having more Americans unemployed and making nothing doesn't sound like much a solution either.

Metaphorically from my view, there is a hole in the keel of the Ship of State, we're taking on water faster than we can pump it out, and one party wants to rearrange the deck chairs, while the other demands that the band play different music.

A pox on both their houses and both their absurd solutions.

We had a system that was wroking better than any system mankind had EVER devised, but the greed of the master class systematically arranged things so that they got every so much wealthier at the expense of the society as whole.

And now, having bled this system of most of its life's blood, the economy goes into a state of shock and frankly, both parties are so politically bankrupted that neither of them are qualified or disposed to actually admit that they've been raping this economy for their own benefit because if they did, they might actually have to give SOME of their il got gain back.

It'll never happen, and this nation is going down, folks.

About all American can hope for, unless we admit this and agree to do something about it that is REAL, is a slow peaceful death into the dustbin of history.

the article clearly says the report exists, information run though and a computer model produced on how the money will be spent and on what time line. It's not an official CBO report but it exists..

Bufffington post.. :lol:

Goodbye Republican Party. When this bill begins to help our economy, curb unemployment and sends the market over 9500, you're not only going to lose 2010, you're going to lose 2012.

Boehner to GOP: Vote against stimulus - Patrick O'Connor and Jonathan Martin - Politico.com

If the Republicans lose again in 2010, it won't be because this bill fixed the economy. According to the C.B.O. report, only about two thirds of the appropriations will have been spent by 2011 and the report goes on to explain that various factors would likely reduce even that amount. While many of the 151 separate appropriations in the bill are for worthwhile projects, not one of them addresses the central problem we face, that the tight credit markets have turned the financial crisis into a full blown recession. While the tax cuts may give a boost to the economy, we saw from Bush's tax rebate how short lived that effect is if the underlying problems of the economy remain unaddressed, and this bill does nothing to address them.

On the other hand, the Democrats could get lucky. The American economy, which has shown itself to be remarkably resilient in the past might reach bottom quickly enough for banks and corporations to believe it was time to start lending and growing and then the Democrats, who are as clueless as everyone else about what to do can claim credit for the recovery that caught them by surprise as Clinton did when he stood before America, in the shadow of Enron, just before all those 401k's came crashing down to crush the dreams of America's workers and proclaimed the tech bubble would go on forever and make everyone rich and solve all of America's problems forever and ever and ever . . . .

not solving the problem, and IE making it worse

What's "the problem?" Give me specifics. Double digit unemployment? Dow 6000? More banks going under?

Those are all symptoms, not the actual problems. The best thing the government could do right now is cut taxes AND spending. Other than that, simply let the market correct itself.

Kevin, can you please explain to me why the government does not posses this much common sense??

False Hopes for Tax Relief and Fiscal Stimulus - D.W. MacKenzie - Mises Institute

People might believe that they have something to gain by shifting from tax-financed government spending to deficit-financed spending, but there is nothing really behind these tax cuts. The entire fiscal-stimulus plan is itself a fraud. The federal government has a proven track record of waste; the enlargement of the public sector will not improve economic conditions. Obama is right about one thing: America needs change. Americans need a change in the fiscal plans of the Obama administration to avoid further waste. What we need are real lasting tax cuts and a corresponding movement of spending out of government and into the private sector.

I can already see the major problem with this thread when it comes to people who feel this businesses should just fail.

Many did what you say Avatar, "Be honest, work hard, and live within your means."

I hate it when people assume that everybody who is broke or going out of business is because they are greedy. :eusa_eh:

Do lenders live within their means? Does joe taxpayer live within his means? Does the government live within its means? All spent beyond their means then can't figure out what went wrong.

If I have too much credit card debt, the last thing I would do to correct the problem is . . . . spend more money.

Last edited:
We had a system that was wroking better than any system mankind had EVER devised, but the greed of the master class systematically arranged things so that they got every so much wealthier at the expense of the society as whole.

You were doing fine right to about here....

And now, having bled this system of most of its life's blood, the economy goes into a state of shock and frankly, both parties are so politically bankrupted that neither of them are qualified or disposed to actually admit that they've been raping this economy for their own benefit because if they did, they might actually have to give SOME of their il got gain back.

About all American can hope for, unless we admit this and agree to do something about it that is REAL, is a slow peaceful death into the dustbin of history.

Corporate greed did not get us into this. It takes two to tango as they say. A major part of the problem is that we have simply become dumber as a nation. Most people simply don't understand money. Which a big reason why we have so much bad debt. People and government a like. This is the down side of freedom friend. The freedom to remain ignorant. To take less and less responsibility for yourself. To educate yourself less on ALL aspects of life.

We are where we are because of what we have become as a society. Of course there are greedy CEOs out there, but to believe that is what got us into this is to be a sheep of what the media tells you.

Corporate greed did not get us into this. It takes two to tango as they say. A major part of the problem is that we have simply become dumber as a nation. Most people simply don't understand money. Which a big reason why we have so much bad debt. People and government a like. This is the down side of freedom friend. The freedom to remain ignorant. To take less and less responsibility for yourself. To educate yourself less on ALL aspects of life.

We are where we are because of what we have become as a society. Of course there are greedy CEOs out there, but to believe that is what got us into this is to be a sheep of what the media tells you.

I can proably list a couple hundred laws, taxation policies and trade polices all of which benefitted ONLY the superwealthy class and usually at the expense of the nation's working class and ultimately at the expense of the nation itself.

These have been occurring since the 1930's BTW, so this is not a slam at one party or the other.

So before you can convince me that this is the result of the entire population getting dumber, you'd need to address those curiously lop[sided changes to the way we do things which miraculously ONLY helped about 1/10th of the American people in the long run.

I can proably list a couple hundred laws, taxation policies and trade polices all of which benefitted ONLY the superwealthy class and usually at the expense of the nation's working class and ultimately at the expense of the nation itself.

Consider this your opportunity then to provide at least one of said examples...

[These have been occurring since the 1930's BTW, so this is not a slam at one party or the other.

So before you can convince me that this is the result of the entire population getting dumber, you'd need to address those curiously lop[sided changes to the way we do things which miraculously ONLY helped about 1/10th of the American people in the long run.

Does a 10% across the board income tax cut help the wealthy more or the poor more? That's why any financial break of any type is always going to benefit the rich more. It's math, not a conspiracy. Major coroporations receive tax breaks of all kinds for various reasons. Most incentive, based. Set up shop in this state instead of that. Use these light bulbs. etc. With greater resources comes greater advantage. Try tipping the scale the other way. What big break are you going to give the poor and leave the rich out that is really going to make much difference at all in the economy?

Last edited:
Said Rep. Roscoe Bartlett, R-Md.: "Mr. President, I probably come at this from a slightly different perspective. I remember when FDR beat Hoover in 1932. So I remember the Great Depression very well. I don't remember any of the many government programs affecting the course of the Depression. Government programs didn't work then, I don't know why we think they would work now. Mr. President, I think our obsessive borrowing has fully mortgaged my kids and my grandkids. Now we're working on mortgaging my two great-grandkids. Mr. President, I think it's more than a little bit selfish to try to solve our economic problems which we created by burdening future generations yet to be born."

Political Punch: Scenes From a Stimulus Battle, Part 4

I can provide a few rather easily...

Source Wikipedia

You want me to do the same regarding tax laws?

That is rather more difficult sinc eht toxic tax benefits of which I speak are often BURIED in some bill having little to do with taxation.

Tell you what...let's see how you respond to the above list first, before I waste my time giving you example after example of things that I understand are fucking over our people, shall I?

LOL the wormy little Pelosi person just stated emphatically and with much drama that the obamalama "was going to harness the power of the sun and the wind." Alhhhh, the gods of Olympus have arisen from their long rest! The Messiah has risen..

Well I'm still waiting to see the positive results from the first stimulus package. Further, this one is full of pork making it a lie to the American people and should not be voted for. For a man who claimed he was going to go through everything page by page to cut the waste, he sure missed a few pages on this.

They seem more worried about Rush Limpballs.

I can provide a few rather easily...

Source Wikipedia

You want me to do the same regarding tax laws?

That is rather more difficult sinc eht toxic tax benefits of which I speak are often BURIED in some bill having little to do with taxation.

Tell you what...let's see how you respond to the above list first, before I waste my time giving you example after example of things that I understand are fucking over our people, shall I?

Okay, free trade.

Do non-free trade policies protect american jobs, jobs that are typically middle to lower income? Yes. In the short term. In the long term it inflates the price of of goods so everything costs more for everyone than it would if those policies weren't in place. Can you imagine how much a television would cost If we tried to protect that from foreign competition. The question is who's pocket book are you more willing to sacrafice? The workers (who worst case would have lose a job and possibly retrain themselves to do something else) or the consumers(who worst case will continue to pay higher costs one everything for as long as those policies are in place)?

Forum List

Back