House GOP to vote NO on stimulus package

They damn well better vote no.

That thing is anything but a stimulus package. It is irresponsible, pork barrel spending, and back door welfare that WILL NOT STIMULATE THE ECONOMY.

Exactly what us Conservatives have said all along. Obama and his congressional pals have NO IDEA WTF they are doing, all they know how to do is spend even more money we do not have.

Obama is already a disaster of a president.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
Goodbye Republican Party. When this bill begins to help our economy, curb unemployment and sends the market over 9500, you're not only going to lose 2010, you're going to lose 2012.

Boehner to GOP: Vote against stimulus - Patrick O'Connor and Jonathan Martin - Politico.com

When this bill helps our economy, monkeys will fly out of my ass.

It's a bad bill. But then I care about substance, not appearance. im not going to give people credit for "helping" the economy when they do nothing of the sort.

not solving the problem, and IE making it worse

What's "the problem?" Give me specifics. Double digit unemployment? Dow 6000? More banks going under?

Those are all symptoms, not the actual problems. The best thing the government could do right now is cut taxes AND spending. Other than that, simply let the market correct itself.

What stimulus is provided should be narrowly targeted to the heart of what the problem is....housing. The original TARP target was buying up bad mortgages and stalling foreclosures, thereby stemming the tide of falling home prices. But we all know they didn't do any of that, thus the TARP has done absolutely nothing to fix anything. Since this package does not focus on housing, either, it will not work.

This bill will not help the economy, I certainly hope it gets voted down. I have contacted my Congressman and told him to vote "No," but I'm under the assumption that he is going to vote "Yes."

Economists across the board says that this stimulus package will be very good for the economy and will help us and curb unemployment and the Republicans are voting no. Back to partisanship!

Who are these fictional economists who obviously dont know jack?

What's "the problem?" Give me specifics. Double digit unemployment? Dow 6000? More banks going under?

Those are all symptoms, not the actual problems. The best thing the government could do right now is cut taxes AND spending. Other than that, simply let the market correct itself.

What stimulus is provided should be narrowly targeted to the heart of what the problem is....housing. The original TARP target was buying up bad mortgages and stalling foreclosures, thereby stemming the tide of falling home prices. But we all know they didn't do any of that, thus the TARP has done absolutely nothing to fix anything. Since this package does not focus on housing, either, it will not work.

The prices of homes need to come down, that's what the market is saying. They need to let the recession happen to liquidate the bad debt.

The bulk of the Republicans should do exactly what they have been doing the past nine years...spend, spend, spend, and spend some more. Hell, they shouldn't let President Obama deter them from continuing with their responsible fiscal record. With such conservatism who needs liberalism?

The problem with the Republicans here is they can knock down this package all they want; but the American people want solutions.

The Republicans as far as I know have offered none other then to let all these companies and businesses fail.

That's not a solution, that's called sitting on your ass when you're suppose to represent the people who vote for you; the same ones who are losing their jobs right now.

The problem with the Republicans here is they can knock down this package all they want; but the American people want solutions.

The Republicans as far as I know have offered none other then to let all these companies and businesses fail.

That's not a solution, that's called sitting on your ass when you're suppose to represent the people who vote for you; the same ones who are losing their jobs right now.

The recession has to happen. Any businesses that are propped up by bad money will go out of business, but it has to happen for the economy to get better. It's called a correction for a reason.

the people didn't vote for Republicans, they voted for youse guys. So youse guys get off yer azz and vote it in already. Then take the glory or the heat. Whichever. got guts?

Most of them SHOULD fail. Recessions are a natural cleansing process, purging poorly capitalized and managed businesses who were existing on the fringe even in good times. We get a lot of frivolous businesses that pop up in boom times. We also get a lot badly run businesses in boom times because in boom times everyone, even bad business make at least some money. But when times get tough, the frivolous, fluff businesses and poorly run businesses have their weaknesses exposed and are eventually killed off, as they should be, leaving the strong, and lean companies to move on. This process has been going on for 200+ years here and even longer in Europe.

We also know that government spending has never solved an economic downturn. Not once.

Cut the capital gains tax and let people show you how wrong you are to think they are a bunch of idiots.

There is nothing for the market to correct.

Then we wouldn't be in a recession.

The recession demonstrates that the market is working perfectly. When people are dishonest with finances, make bad financial decissions, and try to ignore their flaws, there are going to be recessions. Recesssions are the corrections.

You want to fix the recession? Be honest, work hard, and live within your means.

If you are responsible with your money, then you have nothing to worry about.

There is nothing for the market to correct.

Then we wouldn't be in a recession.

The recession demonstrates that the market is working perfectly. When people are dishonest with finances, make bad financial decissions, and try to ignore their flaws, there are going to be recessions. Recesssions are the corrections.

You want to fix the recession? Be honest, work hard, and live within your means.

If you are responsible with your money, then you have nothing to worry about.

We agree that the recession is the correction. That's why a recession is called a correction. The recession is the time that the market reallocates resources from insolvent companies to solvent ones.

I think we're agreeing, just maybe our terminology is different?

I can already see the major problem with this thread when it comes to people who feel this businesses should just fail.

Many did what you say Avatar, "Be honest, work hard, and live within your means."

I hate it when people assume that everybody who is broke or going out of business is because they are greedy. :eusa_eh:

the people didn't vote for Republicans, they voted for youse guys. So youse guys get off yer azz and vote it in already. Then take the glory or the heat. Whichever. got guts?

IMO many who voted for President Obama did not vote for him as much as they voted against the arrogance, hypocrisy, and lack of vision that is the current Republican party. They are void of ideas or at least the ability to articulate them. The Republicans abandoned the principles that elevated them to office and now they have to find their soul. Many conservatives set the last one out while moderates no longer trusted their direction; allowing the "new" guy a shot at bat seemed the wiser choice. I believe many who voted for President Obama believed they were getting a JFK when in fact they are getting some Jimmy Carter/Adlai Stevenson hybrid.

As you suggested, the Democrats will likely need no cooperation from the other side. They have the ideas but do they have the guts to implement them? Of course none of this will matter if Republicans can't stand for something that resonates with the citizens of this country.

I can already see the major problem with this thread when it comes to people who feel this businesses should just fail.

Many did what you say Avatar, "Be honest, work hard, and live within your means."

I hate it when people assume that everybody who is broke or going out of business is because they are greedy. :eusa_eh:

Businesses that fail should fail simply because the market dictates that they should fail. It's not because they're a bad person or a good person, or that they were lazy or not lazy. It's simply supply and demand. In a recession insolvent companies go out of business to free up capital and other resources for companies that are able to stand on their own in the market.

I would mildly disagree unless I'm missing what you're saying. The problem 'was' housing (past tense) in that home values were grossly overinflated. The problem now isn't that those values are falling. What is happening is exactly what you said needs to happen and homes are no exception. The market needs to determine the real value of homes and they are going down as they should be.

The main priorities need to be on jobs and and the credit crunch. Now I am biased because this is really starting to hit our company as it has many others. I think Obama is making a mistake in trying to create these new government make work jobs. What he should be doing is figuring out how to keep people in the one's they have and putting business in a better position to hire more people.

A big step toward that would be addressing the credit crunch. The issue the car companies are having partly along with any company that build things is that there is an outlay of cash FIRST on the part of the business for the materials, labor, etc. in building the product. This is why so many businesses have credit lines. Banks give them money to cover their expenses then when product sells the company pays it back and hopefully makes a profit on top of that. The problem the banks are tightening the amount of credit they will lend. Where the once offered x amount now it's less. Now the company can't cover all of it's expenses and may need to lay people off and compounding the issue is that not as much product is being purchased by consumers. But finding away relieve the credit crunch, to get restrictions loosened and credit lines open would go a long way toward giving comapanies a breather.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back