House GOP to vote NO on stimulus package

This bill will not help the economy, I certainly hope it gets voted down. I have contacted my Congressman and told him to vote "No," but I'm under the assumption that he is going to vote "Yes."

This bill will not help the economy, I certainly hope it gets voted down. I have contacted my Congressman and told him to vote "No," but I'm under the assumption that he is going to vote "Yes."

Economists across the board says that this stimulus package will be very good for the economy and will help us and curb unemployment and the Republicans are voting no. Back to partisanship!

Economists across the board says that this stimulus package will be very good for the economy and will help us and curb unemployment and the Republicans are voting no. Back to partisanship!

Then you got no worries, you will be wildly successful.

http://caps.fool.com/blogs/viewpost.aspx?bpid=135976&t=01001019292467236494

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123292987008414041.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Last edited:

Nope. That's what Obama says, but that's not reality. Here are just a few that disagree:

http://cato.org/special/stimulus09/cato_stimulus.pdf

Notwithstanding reports that all economists are now Keynesians and that we all support a big increase in the burden of government, we do not believe that more government spending is a way to improve economic performance. More government spending by Hoover and Roosevelt did not pull the United States economy out of the Great Depression in the 1930s. More government spending did not solve Japan's "lost decade" in the 1990s. As such, it is a triumph of hope over experience to believe that more government spending will help the U.S. today. To improve the economy, policy makers should focus on reforms that remove impediments to work, saving, investment and production. Lower tax rates and a reduction in the burden of government are the best ways of using fiscal policy to boost growth.

Across what board? The board that excludes Austrian economists apparently. It is only going to further hurt the economy, and prolong the recession.

Goodbye Republican Party. When this bill begins to help our economy, curb unemployment and sends the market over 9500, you're not only going to lose 2010, you're going to lose 2012.

Boehner to GOP: Vote against stimulus - Patrick O'Connor and Jonathan Martin - Politico.com
i wont be worried

when this thing FAILS like i expect it to, you guys will have FULL blame

How do you define failure of this package?
not solving the problem, and IE making it worse

What's "the problem?" Give me specifics. Double digit unemployment? Dow 6000? More banks going under?
the "problem" is, government spending too much money
taking too much out of the private setor
and the government spending even more money it doesnt have will not fix it

What's "the problem?" Give me specifics. Double digit unemployment? Dow 6000? More banks going under?

Those are all symptoms, not the actual problems. The best thing the government could do right now is cut taxes AND spending. Other than that, simply let the market correct itself.

The CBO quite clearly stated the problem. Most of the money would not be spent until the recession is actually over. Which begs one question how is a stimulus plan that is suppossed to help the recession going to do that if it isn't going to take effect until after it's over?

Another problem? Gee, how about trying to solve the problem with a solution that is part of the why we got into this problem in the first place. More bad debt.

Another one? Aren't the libs the ones always chastising us about the problems we're passing to our children? You want to add an unheard of deficit onto that?

Forum List

Back