House GOP scraps direct vote on payroll tax cut bill

I prefer the year but I think they should have taken the two months.

It will come up again in 2 months and they can hash it out then and go for an extention.

Loads of drama for nothing.

No they should not have taken the two months. A two month extension on the cut is useless to the economy at large. The whole idea behind this bill is supposedly to help the economy. To get businesses reinvesting and hiring. Right now businesses are trying to hoard cash. They're just sitting on it because they don't know what the future holds. They don't know if the economy is going to get better and they don't know what their expenses will be because they don't know what their tax rates will be. No business worth it's salt is going to make a major expansion or hiring decision when all they know is how much their taxes will be for a mere two months and no idea after that.

This is one hell of a spin the democrats with the help of the main stream media have tried to pull. All the headlines are 'house GOP blocks extension of tax cuts'. I guess their banking that the bulk of the nation is stupid and can't see through this. The simple fact is it is the DEMOCRATS trying to avoid committing to long term tax cuts along with the major job booster, the keystone pipeline.

The bottom line is the working middle class receiving the tax cuts NOW are gonna come up short when they get ready to try to retire. Social security will be much poorer when the demoncrats get through handing it out to satisfy their political aspirations. This is one gift horse you should definitely look in the mouth.

Just like its childish to act like I want to rob social security. I'm sick of the constant moving of the goal posts and what is most important. One second it's jobs, than it's the deficit, then it's SS. No matter what dems want to do, the nutters will find something about it that isn't 100% ideal for one of the other "crucial" areas. It's a fucking endless shell game that is beyond played out.

It's a proven fact that the payroll deduction robbed the social security fund of 111 billion dollars last year. An extension would do the same this year. So yes, if you are for it you are in fact robbing the social security fund. So be "sick of it" all you want to. That's the reality of the situation.

Just so we're clear, you are more concerned with Social Security down the road, then with the health of the middle class today.

It's a proven fact that the payroll deduction robbed the social security fund of 111 billion dollars last year. An extension would do the same this year. So yes, if you are for it you are in fact robbing the social security fund. So be "sick of it" all you want to. That's the reality of the situation.

Just so we're clear, you are more concerned with Social Security down the road, then with the health of the middle class today.

see above asswipe. It's called having the ability to look beyond your nose.

got it now?

we dont. We inherently disagree with the democratic policies as economic spark plugs.
It is childish spin to say we are looking to stall the economy even further.

Just like its childish to act like I want to rob social security. I'm sick of the constant moving of the goal posts and what is most important. One second it's jobs, than it's the deficit, then it's SS. No matter what dems want to do, the nutters will find something about it that isn't 100% ideal for one of the other "crucial" areas. It's a fucking endless shell game that is beyond played out.

It goes both ways with both parties....both ideologies.
I see it....you dont?

Of course it goes both ways. But I see the Senate coming to a bipartisan compromise and it's not the dems in the house who are blocking it from even going to a vote. Compromise is something we've seen very little of the past few years, now that we are finally getting somewhere, who is it that is obstructing? Let's be honest. It's the fucking games that I'm tired of.

She's a hypocrite for being against government supported programs, yet Social security...don't touch that. Protect that at all costs. Protect that even if it means increasing taxes on the middle class. She also happens to be on SS and has children who are damn near being eligible for SS.....funny how that works out. That's raging hypocrisy.

That is spin.

Truth is, SS has become a way of life in America...and many people, such as myself, who were against it, were forced to contrinute to it anyway...and for us to NOW have it taken away would nopt only beinappropriate...but devastating to many who were forced to count on it when they retire.

That is not being a hypocrite. We were forced to play along with it.

Not spin at all. If we are in such dire financial condition and "everything" should be on the table, why doesn't that include SS? Why doesn't that include the military? It's classic hypocrisy because those are things that she benefits from. So of course those are the exception to the rules. But those mooching middle class need to "make those tough sacrifices".

Sorry RDD...I see your post addressing my accusation of "spin" to be spin in itself.

Not everything should be on the table. People have been putting into SS since their first paper route...and have come to rely on it for retirement.

SO to "cut" that and NOT cut things that people have not come to rely on but want to have anyway is inappropriate.

Why do you deem cutting back on giving back to the American people what they paid for as a fair thing.....

but...

Cutting back on something that the American People did NOT pay for as an unfair thing?

In simpler terms...

If a concert was cancelled due to weather...and you had purchased a ticket.....would you be OK if you were told that no refunds were being given out...although the ones that had complimentary tickets would still get complimentary tickets at another show down the road?

see above asswipe. It's called having the ability to look beyond your nose.

I'll take that as a yes.

That is spin.

Truth is, SS has become a way of life in America...and many people, such as myself, who were against it, were forced to contrinute to it anyway...and for us to NOW have it taken away would nopt only beinappropriate...but devastating to many who were forced to count on it when they retire.

Not spin at all. If we are in such dire financial condition and "everything" should be on the table, why doesn't that include SS? Why doesn't that include the military? It's classic hypocrisy because those are things that she benefits from. So of course those are the exception to the rules. But those mooching middle class need to "make those tough sacrifices".

Sorry RDD...I see your post addressing my accusation of "spin" to be spin in itself.

Not everything should be on the table. People have been putting into SS since their first paper route...and have come to rely on it for retirement.

SO to "cut" that and NOT cut things that people have not come to rely on but want to have anyway is inappropriate.

Why do you deem cutting back on giving back to the American people what they paid for as a fair thing.....

but...

Cutting back on something that the American People did NOT pay for as an unfair thing?

In simpler terms...

If a concert was cancelled due to weather...and you had purchased a ticket.....would you be OK if you were told that no refunds were being given out...although the ones that had complimentary tickets would still get complimentary tickets at another show down the road?

Cuts across the board should mean cuts across the board. People pay in to their health insurance plans for years and were being denied and dropped from their plan when illness hit. That wasn't fair and yet even though they paid, they didn't receive what they paid for. Everyone is hurting (except for the rich) and the constant squabbling over who should give up something is a ridiculous shell game. I'm not advocating taking away SS and I realize how important it is to many people, but touch choices should have to be made and the easiest way to do that is to take a little from everyone, no exceptions.

There is no magic bullet fix that will take care of the countless issues our country has. No matter what solution you can think of that addresses any of the issues we have will in some way be opposed or have a negative impact somewhere else.

but...

In simpler terms...

Cuts across the board should mean cuts across the board. People pay in to their health insurance plans for years and were being denied and dropped from their plan when illness hit. That wasn't fair and yet even though they paid, they didn't receive what they paid for. Everyone is hurting (except for the rich) and the constant squabbling over who should give up something is a ridiculous shell game. I'm not advocating taking away SS and I realize how important it is to many people, but touch choices should have to be made and the easiest way to do that is to take a little from everyone, no exceptions.

There is no magic bullet fix that will take care of the countless issues our country has. No matter what solution you can think of that addresses any of the issues we have will in some way be opposed or have a negative impact somewhere else.

so your answer is give em a thousand bucks now and let them work til their 80 because the social security fund will be depleted by giving them a thousand dollars now? That sounds like an excellent plan stan.

I see it....you dont?

Of course it goes both ways. But I see the Senate coming to a bipartisan compromise and it's not the dems in the house who are blocking it from even going to a vote. Compromise is something we've seen very little of the past few years, now that we are finally getting somewhere, who is it that is obstructing? Let's be honest. It's the fucking games that I'm tired of.

I see the senate as getting nothing done of any value and simply just wanting to go home for vacation...and passing the buck to congress.

No one in their right mind would believe that a 2 month extension would do a dam thing...it was simply kicking the can down the road....and leaving things up in the air.

Thje senate set up congress to be the bad guys.....you should be anbgry at the senate...not the house.

What value would a two month extension have?

2 months actually has a negative....it gives people reason to NOT spend the savings out of concern of what may take place two months from now....and what good would THAT do for the economy?

but...

In simpler terms...

so your answer is give em a thousand bucks now and let them work til their 80 because the social security fund will be depleted by giving them a thousand dollars now? That sounds like an excellent plan stan.

Like I said, do you care about the state of the economy now? No, you care about the long term solvency of SS over the economy now. We got that.

but...

In simpler terms...

In bold?
Yes...and the people got screwed....BY PRIVATE INDUSTRY

Now you are condoning the same type of activity by the federal government?

If you are going to cut something...cut things that people did not already pay for with their own hard earned money.

Like I said, do you care about the state of the economy now? No, you care about the long term solvency of SS over the economy now. We got that.

so you're okay with them working til their 80! We got that.

I see it....you dont?

I see the senate as getting nothing done of any value and simply just wanting to go home for vacation...and passing the buck to congress.

No one in their right mind would believe that a 2 month extension would do a dam thing...it was simply kicking the can down the road....and leaving things up in the air.

Thje senate set up congress to be the bad guys.....you should be anbgry at the senate...not the house.

2 months actually has a negative....it gives people reason to NOT spend the savings out of concern of what may take place two months from now....and what good would THAT do for the economy?

So with that same logic, what good would a 1 year extension do? People would just be concerned about what would happen at the end of the year when they expire. If we continue with this all or nothing way of governing, we'll never get anywhere. We have Senate republicans, Senate Dems, House Dems all on-board with this plan. It's just House Repubs who are obstructing. I'll let you pick out who the problem is here.

but...

In simpler terms...

In bold?

If you are going to cut something...cut things that people did not already pay for with their own hard earned money.

That's my point. Its happening everywhere, to everyone. Does it make it right? Nope. But if we want real solutions, we have to get serious.

What would you cut exactly to pay for these tax cut extensions?

So with that same logic, what good would a 1 year extension do? People would just be concerned about what would happen at the end of the year when they expire. If we continue with this all or nothing way of governing, we'll never get anywhere. We have Senate republicans, Senate Dems, House Dems all on-board with this plan. It's just House Repubs who are obstructing. I'll let you pick out who the problem is here.

everyone who voted for it is the problem here.

She's a hypocrite for being against government supported programs, yet Social security...don't touch that. Protect that at all costs. Protect that even if it means increasing taxes on the middle class. She also happens to be on SS and has children who are damn near being eligible for SS.....funny how that works out. That's raging hypocrisy.

That is spin.

BUT...

That is a good example of the concerns of the conservative.

Even conservatives have found how reliant one can become on "entitlements"...especially when you spend the better part of 50 years contribbuting to it....

And if a conservative comes to rely on entitlements...you can see why so many peopole are fidning the entitlement way of the as the ONLY way of life.

A quick calculation... Had, in stead the same percentage of my salary, plus the like employer contributions, been put in a simple saving account at prevailing interest rates in stead of the SS "trust fund", I would now have just under a million in the bank. I could draw a bit over twice what SS will pay me every month and never touch the principal and my kids would have about 325 grand each when I kick.

One year allows people to know they will definitely getting in the range of 1000-1500..and they are likely to spend some of it.

2 months gives them the security of 200...not nearly enough to give them the security to spend it.

It does nothing to help the economy and will add to the deficit..and thus the debt.

Enough said.

In bold?

That's my point. Its happening everywhere, to everyone. Does it make it right? Nope. But if we want real solutions, we have to get serious.

How about nothing and pay for it with the increased income tax revenue from the new jobs created from constructing the keystone pipeline.

In bold?

I would start with the government payroll.....

Congresspeople are to work for the "average American "income. They are to pay no less than the average American pays for health insurance and they are to contibute no less than the Average American contributes to their retirement account and the government is to contribute no more than the average American employee gets form his/her employer.

For other goverenment workers...the same holds true for all positions. The salary of a government admin assist should be no more than the US average salary of an admin assist...and so on.

I would cut every penny of foreign aid. EVERY PENNY.

I would sit down with the military leaders and cut military spending based on their recommendations.

I would do the same with the DoD.

I would eliminate ALL grants used for research and let the private sector conduct research.....at least until the debt is eliminated.

That would be a start.

Millions of voters are going to miss the deduction. THANKS BAGGERS!

Partiers. Not baggers. That's your schtick, douche nozzle.

Anyway, instead of worrying and fretting and pissing and cramping over income tax deductions (a shell game if ever there was one, you idiot) why not ditch the income tax system all together?

A fucking flat tax or an ad valorem national tax. Now.

Damn; to think of how much we could save in man-hours alone.

Look, idiot! The House wants to extend for 12 months and the Senate wants only 2 months. What do you think voters would prefer? Yup. THANKS, T.E.A. PARTY

I prefer the year but I think they should have taken the two months.

It will come up again in 2 months and they can hash it out then and go for an extention.

Loads of drama for nothing.

No they should not have taken the two months. A two month extension on the cut is useless to the economy at large. The whole idea behind this bill is supposedly to help the economy. To get businesses reinvesting and hiring. Right now businesses are trying to hoard cash. They're just sitting on it because they don't know what the future holds. They don't know if the economy is going to get better and they don't know what their expenses will be because they don't know what their tax rates will be. No business worth it's salt is going to make a major expansion or hiring decision when all they know is how much their taxes will be for a mere two months and no idea after that.

This is one hell of a spin the democrats with the help of the main stream media have tried to pull. All the headlines are 'house GOP blocks extension of tax cuts'. I guess their banking that the bulk of the nation is stupid and can't see through this. The simple fact is it is the DEMOCRATS trying to avoid committing to long term tax cuts along with the major job booster, the keystone pipeline.

Don't think I agree with you on this one.

The payroll tax cut isn't going to encourage job creation. It will put money in the pockets of taxpayers though.

As I said. I would come up again in two months and yuo can bet the Dems aren't going to nix an extention of it.

Two months can't be done anyway...

Payroll Processors Say Two-Month Payroll Tax Fix Undoable | Fox News

In a letter to the the leaders of the House and Senate Ways and Means committees, the National Payroll Reporting Consortium, whose members serve 1.5 million employers and more than one-third of the private-sector workforce, wrote that the Senate's two-month extension allows "insufficient lead time" to institute changes by Feb. 29.
The group wrote that a shortened deadline could create "substantial problems, confusion and costs affecting a significant percentage of U.S. employers and employees."
"Nevertheless, with the first of January now only two weeks away and payroll departments trying to meet year-end compliance mandates and reconciliation, there simply is insufficient time to implement this major change in withholding requirements," he wrote.

"Many payroll systems are not likely to be able to make such a substantial programming change before January or even February. The systems affected tend to be highly complex, normally requiring at least 90 days for a change of this magnitude for software testing alone; not to mention analysis, design, coding and implementation," he wrote.
Isberg told Fox News that as employers prepare payroll for the first days of January, not only are they without a decision from Congress on taxes, but once that is decided, they also must await an IRS rule on how to institute Congress' changes to the tax schedule.

Forum List

Back