House Democrats Plan Vote to Criminalize Private Gun Sales

I just bought my wife a brand new Mossberg 590 12 gage pump action tactical defense shotgun. Happy Valentines day sweetheart!
And if you're lucky...she won't blow your ass away with it

Post Crime Rating: Medium

Crime Threats

Historically, crime rates throughout Germany have been comparable to those in most first-world countries, including the U.S., and comparative analysis of crime data for the U.S. and Germany reveals only marginal differences. The Bundeskriminalamt’s (BKA) 2014 Police Crime Statistics for Germany indicated only minor changes in the number of most of the recorded offenses over 2013. There were, however, some exceptions. Most notably there was a seven percent increase in bicycle theft and a 16 percent increase in the number of pickpocket cases reported. There were also marked increases in the various categories related to credit card fraud. While the 2014 statistics (the latest available) for Germany are of interest, they fail to capture any effect that the approximately one million refugees and asylum seekers who arrived in country in 2015 may have had on crime.

According to the very latest available statistics for Berlin, specifically the first quarter of 2015, there were significant increases in a number of crime categories over 2014. These increases included: drug related crime 19 percent; pickpocketing 24 percent; homicide 33 percent; and burglary 43 percent. Although more recent statistics have yet to be made available, police report there were significant increases in some crimes such as burglary and pickpocketing Berlin in 2015 compared to 2014.
https://www.osac.gov/Pages/ContentReportDetails.aspx?cid=19030
The problem is criminals will not follow any law they don’t have to. Think, Jethro.
And you think most of those follow laws now?

I can just see it, “oh, wait, I need to do a background check on you before I sell you this black market gun...”. Lol
Mass shootings get the headlines but aren't the real problem. It's the daily shootings that occur with handguns.

Background checks of all sales even between private parties makes a lot of sense.

No one said this will fix all issues. No single law does. But otherwise really good job of thinking things through Jethro.

LOL, the old "criminals don't follow laws" tired argument.

So tell me, how did every other first world nation manage to weed criminals out of their societies? No criminals to be found apparently. How do you think they did that?
We have a Second Amendment in the US. We should have no security problems in our free States.

Some on the left claim, gun lovers simply don't love their Republic as much as they allege to love their guns.

If all transfers are to require a background check, then all citizens should have access to the database...

Interesting comment, that would be the kibosh since gun owners do not want their Identity and gun(s) broadcast to the world.
That is why the idea of a background check ID was floated a few years back.

A FAR better solution than the one presented here IMHO. It just has to be free.

The Background ID was floated and failed because it Identified the buy by name and it could easily have gone into a Database. The universal background check does not identify the person at all since it's an inquiry which is just a DB search only.
It does not identify the buy at all - just show the card. It does identify the individual as someone that might purchase a gun.

A background check actually confirms the purchase of a weapon. You think an inquiry is not traceable or recorded? ANY digital action is recorded. A hard search on a name really only occurs when a purchase is in process - an ID is acquired at the thought of a purchase.

One establishes that someone has a weapon, the other actually does not.

I just bought a little number from a friend who was strapped for cash. We met up at the local gun shop, I paid a small fee for a background check, and zipideedodah, we were done. The gun was transferred to me in minutes.

No big deal.

That fee is unConstitutional.....you can't charge fees for the exercise of a Right....Supreme Court ruling in Murdock v Pennsylvania...

You want to take the Dealers time for nothing? It's not a tax. It a fee for services rendered. As for Murdock V unless it's a religious pamphlet, it doesn't apply. You back to misquoting Supreme Court rulings again? Stop making shit up.
It is still an imposed fee. There is no functional difference. A voter ID law would be just as unconstitutional if the ID's were privately printed and you had to pay the printer any payment at all.

House Democrats Plan Vote to Criminalize Private Gun Sales This Week

i'm all for reviewing laws and changes that we know would affect events that have happened. this does nothing of the sort. it means if i sell my gun to my brother, i'm a criminal if i don't do a background check.

fine. i'll give it to him. problem solved.

but you can't name a single mass shooting where the gun was obtained in this manner. yet, this is what we're after.

Will never pass the senate. Too many spineless GOPs who gave their balls to the NRA.

Fuck the majority of Americans who want Universal Background checks.

Forum List

Back