Hotel Bosses Are Finally Getting It: People Don't Want To Work For Them Anymore

Couple things...

We stayed in Huntington, WV and Charleston WV on the way to and from NC to visit Bonzi's mother.
We always stay at Hampton Inns. They are always clean. Always.
Till now.
Horrified in Huntington when I saw some hair in the bottom of the shower, and then lint on the floor... a small piece of paper along the wall.
Then in Charleston, even more horrifying. A few hairs on the fucking pillow!! We changed rooms and waited and watched a worker put brand new covers/pillow cases on the bed.
Unbelievable. Never happened at a Hampton Inn in many years of staying at them all over the U.S.

On the higher wages etc.
1) Non luxury hotel chains are not exactly raking in the profits. Currently at slightly above 11%. Not much.
2) Why should a person who sits behind a counter and most of the time isn't doing anything make high wages???
3) Why should cleaning staff make high wages??
4) Does the OP understand that raising wages only raises the cost of your stay??

I've stayed in several. One was $149 a night. Another was $129, which was a real coup because it was during Biketoberfest in Daytona. Last weekend I stayed at the Embassy Suites in St. Augustine Beach, but I had a gift certificate I'd won in a charity auction last year (I bid $180 on it. The room, a two room, two balcony suite, is normally around $569 a night).

I'm planning a trip to Colorado Springs. On Travelocity, the vast majority of hotels are under $150 a night...

Wait until they add the fees and taxes.

Of course that'll have an impact, but I never paid near $200 a night...
It would be over $200 a night if they increased their wages by 30% and added benefits which, on average, would be another 30%.
Anyone who thinks adding 60% wage cost increase won't dramatically affect cost to consumer is an idiot. (not saying you, generally)

It would be over $200 a night if they increased their wages by 30% and added benefits which, on average, would be another 30%.
Anyone who thinks adding 60% wage cost increase won't dramatically affect cost to consumer is an idiot. (not saying you, generally)

Um, sure.

So what?

I was responding to someone who made a comment along the lines that it's damn near impossible to find hotel rooms under $200.

They are plentiful...

The replies in this thread are interesting.

I guess it comes down to with conservatives they are willing to exploit people and force them to Iive in poverty and work under slave conditions is just fine with them as long as they can save a buck.

Forcing people to live in poverty harms our whole nation.

But then conservatives can't see past themselves so they have no clue what I'm posting about.

I'm an employer.

Pray tell, how would you go about forcing me to raise wages and improve conditions?

I pay my people well and conditions are far above the norm, but pretend they weren't How would you force me to do anything?

By keeping the labor pool from being artificially flooded by cheap third world labor.

And if you are already paying "far above the norm" that would have little if any effect on you.

Why hire if you're going to offer low wages? The hotel owner could easily clean the rooms themselves this not having to pay for labor.

By keeping the labor pool from being artificially flooded by cheap third world labor.

And if you are already paying "far above the norm" that would have little if any effect on you.

I don't hire cheap, third world labor now...

Hopefully employers are finally waking up to the fact that employees are people and need to be treated with respect and dignity.
The greed of most employers coupled with having convinced even mom and pop businesses that they are high powered tycoons makes them view the employees as little more than minor commodities, which are easily replaced.

Add to this the decades-long belief of conservatives that employees are lazy and worthless (all employees except themselves), and it's easy to see why so many employers show workers no respect.

Sadly, this country's government is controlled by the billionaires. Most members of Congress jump when one or more billionaire's fingers snap. So, any legislation to help average Americans is doomed from the start.

Only as a minor byproduct will average Americans realize any benefit from government policies. After the billionaires are given their multi-trillions-of-dollars of federally borrowed money will the American people receive a handful of scraps. (And, the "scrap recipients" include those mom and pop "tycoons".)

Agreed. And they know it. So all they have to do, is hold out for the next wave of illegals and they can continue to offer low wages and crap conditions.

Now, if we KEPT up this situation of labor shortage, eventually they would be forced to improve conditions and/or raise wages.

It really makes me sad, that TRump lost. It would be soo hopeful it he was still there, really trying to secure the border.

Just saying.
But I thought the borders were wide open NOW?????

The replies in this thread are interesting.

I guess it comes down to with conservatives they are willing to exploit people and force them to Iive in poverty and work under slave conditions is just fine with them as long as they can save a buck.

Forcing people to live in poverty harms our whole nation.

But then conservatives can't see past themselves so they have no clue what I'm posting about.
I get what you are saying here, but the line has be to drawn somewhere, and if some people are not happy enough with where ever the line ends up being placed, throwing a temper tantrum will only dig a hole for whoever throws the tantrum. In other words, the only thing to do is to keep looking until you find work that is good enough in your opinion.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

LMAO...all hotel bosses?.....
index.png

Forum List

Back