Hostile Takeover of the Republican Party? What Should Happen Now?

which tea partiers were elected?

Did you read the OP?

I'll see if I can find a list.

i thought the tea party was the reason the dems held the senate.

Ah some would love to spin it that way. But seven or was it eight Tea Party endorsed candidates did replace Democrats in the Senate. That is not insignificant. In 1994 it would have been enough to take control of the Senate.

Yeah massive piles of money from corps can do that frankie (goes down on Homers wood).

You just keep shrinkin" your party , it really is the best thing for America.

You keep getting Cemeteries, park benches and people with fake ID's on your side and we'll keep going with the Marco Rubio's and Susana Martinez's
Missing a few points:
1. re-districting/gerrymandering coming up. Last time the Texas dems went into hiding and they had to send the cops after them to round them up.

2. Eliminating the "illegal vote", both as you describe, plus ACORN's bogeys, plus the wetback voters.

3. My personal favorite is the "national ID card", which is like a driver's license, or this card if you don't drive. No valid ID NO vote. (I had to show ID to vote)

4. Roll-back the green cards & the muslim invasion. We don't want to end up like the EU. Either assimilate or GTFO. Stop Obama's mosque at Ground-Zero too. (condemn the property and make it something else)

5. Put troops on the southern border and stop the drug trade.....cold.

That's a good start.

Immigration reform is a wavy line within both parties, and until there is a clear and decisive consensus, I don't think that will be immediately on the front burner. The first order of business is jobs that means dealing immediately with taxes and regulation and stopping the runaway spending train. And if the Administration and Senate persist in blocking reforms there, it will be necessary to focus also on the 2012 election and increase the power base. Once the economy is back on track, then the other issues will be pushed to the front. Right now I just don't see them there.

This is not 1994, and the the two or three TP losses (Angle, O'Donnell, and probably Miller) were in the best interest of the country. So, yes, indeed, the Tea Party picks were in part responsible for the Senate staying Democratic. But you are right that significant pick ups were made because of the Tea Party.

The GOP needs to morph itself into the Tea Party or vice versa. No need for a third party, just keep replacing RINOS with conservatives.

The Republicans need to remain attractive to independents and centrists otherwise they will marginalize themselves. If they follow a strong economic and fiscally conservative agenda then they will be able to do that. However, if they start traveling down the road of social conservative zeal they will eventually lose the majority.

Telling Republicans like Olympia Snowe and Scott Brown that they aren't welcome will be a very foolish thing to do. They are the type of Republican that can win in that part of the country. I was born and raised in Boston. Massachusetts will never elect the kind of Republicans that get elected here in South Carolina.

I can live with their being liberal on a few of the social issues. But if they are not conservative fiscally or on things like Deathcare, they are better off gone.

So, you think your party is better off without moderates?

Maybe Snowe and Brown will switch parties if you all start making them feel unwelcome. Nobody would blame them with this attitude.

CrusaderFrank, you need moderates if you want to get a majority in the Senate, much less win the presidency.

You're right, I forgot about that. I was thinking more about his foreign policy, I guess.

Not even on foreign policy. The problem for Eisenhower and JFK were the CIA in their administration and that problem continued up to today. If you notice with most of JFK's foreign policy blunders, they involve the CIA. Iraq, Bay of Pigs, Latin America, etc.

I'm reading a book about the CIA currently, I'm only up to Eisenhower in 1953 right after Operation Ajax and I have to say that the CIA has done more damage to our nation's security than who was suppose to be their target, the Soviet Union. Considering the way the book is going, I don't suspect it getting any better.

Though to be fair to Eisenhower and JFK, the CIA lied to the both of them, whitewashed everything that went wrong including their budget.

whats the name of the book? :)

If JFK had lived, he would of also had withdrawn from Vietnam.

yes, I think he would have gotten there mentally , not materially. He would have gone in with both feet , as Johnson did but with less ambiguity imho. I doubt his admin even, with re-election would have seen the last troops leave.

anyway, as to the topic at large; my take is the tea party is a 'movement' right now. They don't have an national HQ or a board, they have MANY branches and have yet to coalesce as a genuine force in being......they have a universal appeal made whole by the largely simplistic concepts they espouse; small gov., less spending, fiscal sanity and a reworking or repeal of health care.

The reps in the house leadership will pay homage to an extent, but right now, 2 years out from the next time he Tea party can flex their muscle ala emotional drive for turn out, etc. they have some time to plot and plan.

I bet the rep old bulls are hoping they go social activist , giving them an out as they minimize themselves and relieve the leadership of having to roll over old bulls ala Boehner/McConnell and the folks Boehner will choose to head up the committees. The media has been doing their best to paint the TP as such so they turn off moderates, who have in this ‘social light’ election made common cause with the TP based on their simplistic mantra.

The mission for the tea party is not to become the religious right, dabbling in social issues that turn off moderates, indies and Reagan dems who went their way this week as to future elections. ( the 'Reagan' dems also went to Hillary in several states who have just flipped, something for the O and Hillary to think on approaching 12).

The old guard minds are busy as hell right now, contemplating how to maneuver the old Divide and Conquer, the dem old bulls and rep old bulls will wave at each other across the aisle, this they share and understand perfectly.

You're right, I forgot about that. I was thinking more about his foreign policy, I guess.

Not even on foreign policy. The problem for Eisenhower and JFK were the CIA in their administration and that problem continued up to today. If you notice with most of JFK's foreign policy blunders, they involve the CIA. Iraq, Bay of Pigs, Latin America, etc.

I'm reading a book about the CIA currently, I'm only up to Eisenhower in 1953 right after Operation Ajax and I have to say that the CIA has done more damage to our nation's security than who was suppose to be their target, the Soviet Union. Considering the way the book is going, I don't suspect it getting any better.

Though to be fair to Eisenhower and JFK, the CIA lied to the both of them, whitewashed everything that went wrong including their budget. If JFK had lived, he would of also had withdrawn from Vietnam.

he would have....

after complete and total victory.....

Though to be fair to Eisenhower and JFK, the CIA lied to the both of them, whitewashed everything that went wrong including their budget. If JFK had lived, he would of also had withdrawn from Vietnam.

he would have....

Well, he was certainly ruthless enough and supported the murdering of the Diem brothers in 1963. Perhaps he would have terrified the warlords of Vietnam into fighting the war or emigrating to Paris.

CrusaderFrank, you need moderates if you want to get a majority in the Senate, much less win the presidency.

I agree, but the idea that we should run candidates who are RepublicaDemocratLiberalProgressiveAllAroundNice Guy just to appeal to Moderate is a big time loser.

The Moderate came to the Tea Party because we're about freedom and lowering the cost of doing business.

The came only because they are pissed off about taxes and jobs. They despise corporatism and are not worried about what you consider 'freedom'. If the economy recovers in the next 18 months and the GOP House is sitting on its hands, the Tea Party will hand the election to Obama.

The came only because they are pissed off about taxes and jobs. They despise corporatism and are not worried about what you consider 'freedom'. If the economy recovers in the next 18 months and the GOP House is sitting on its hands, the Tea Party will hand the election to Obama.

We'll see about the economy. There are a lot of wild cards floating around and shoes yet to drop including a lot of real estate loans coming to maturity.

he would have....

Well, he was certainly ruthless enough and supported the murdering of the Diem brothers in 1963. Perhaps he would have terrified the warlords of Vietnam into fighting the war or emigrating to Paris.

no, he didn't. He sppted the coup, but was under the impression that Diem and Nhu would be given passage out of the country, imho, he was willingly naive at best. Coincidentally yesterday was the ann. of the coup...

Last edited:

We'll see about the economy. There are a lot of wild cards floating around and shoes yet to drop including a lot of real estate loans coming to maturity.

The maturing of the commercial mortgages a small number of economists believe may well crack the economy worse than the private mortgage melt down. Time well tell. If that does happen by June of 2012, the campaign will be "nelly bar the door".

The maturing of the commercial mortgages a small number of economists believe may well crack the economy worse than the private mortgage melt down. Time well tell. If that does happen by June of 2012, the campaign will be "nelly bar the door".

It's happening 4Q 10 and 1Q 11.

Yes, he did. Ambassador Lodge knew fully what would happen if the brothers were taken by their enemies. Those generals support depended on taking the Diems' lives, and Kennedy knew what the risks were and gave the go ahead to Lodge to support the coup. A few wing nuts later believed the Kennedy murder was a hit paid for by the supporters of the Diems.

It's happening 4Q 10 and 1Q 11.

If it is bad as some of the experts fear, neither party is immune to the fall out.

Anybody who has read some USMB posts with objectivity, or who have noted the trends on other boards, know that many even lifelong Republicans have not been happy with the GOP over the last several years.

Anybody reading with objectivity now can't miss that conservative Republicans are holding the GOP's feet to the fire now and, if it is business at usual, a third party by 2012 is almost inevitable. The GOP will be done.

Eric Erickson at Redstate outlines some of the immediate issues:

Will The House GOP Break Apart the GOP-Tea Party Coalition
Erick Erickson)
Friday, November 5th

It is undisputed that the Tea Party Movement helped drive the renewed Republican momentum this past year. But for that energy, the Republicans would not have seen the gains they saw. The exit polls reflect that data.

So now the House Republicans have some crucial decisions to make. They, unlike the Senate GOP, which appears to have learned nothing and forgotten nothing from their 2006defeat, are going to embrace an earmarks moratorium. Incoming Speaker Boehner. . . . announced the House will definitely have an earmarks moratorium. Mitch McConnell says no way in the Senate.

But an earmarks moratorium is only one sign that the GOP gets it in the House. It is time for some fresh faces.

Jeb Hensarling as Conference Chair is a great start given his conservative bona fides and economics based background. I am hearing today that MIchelle Bachmann wants that too, but I hope she might be pursued to go for Vice-Chair and tag team with Hensarling. Having Rep. Bachmann in that position over Cathy McZero Rogers would be a wonderful thing.

A good fit at Policy would be Dr. Tom Price. Given that healthcare helped elect Republicans, having a doctor in that position over Connie Mack, whose wife voted for Cap & Trade, would be a good sign the GOP is serious about getting us out of the Obamacare hole.

. . . . (on the). . . .Appropriations Committee. Jerry Lewis is term limited. They should give him no waiver and consider instead someone like Jack Kingston. The alternative would probably be someone like Harold Rogers of Kentucky, who would not, given his record, be a good shift right from Lewis. Likewise, Kingston is the only man on the committee who, as an Appropriations Subcommittee Chairman, delivered a balanced budget, or one in surplus.

But that’s not enough. With new seats open, tea party backed members like Jeff Flake, Tom Graves, and others should have seats on the Appropriations Committee.

Then, of course, there is the House Energy and Commerce Committee. I do not believe in Committee waivers, which means Joe Barton should not be allowed to stick around.

Unfortunately, Fred Upton is lobbying heavily for the seat and that choice would be absolutely atrocious. Upton is a union lackey. . . .

Will The House GOP Break Apart the GOP-Tea Party Coalition | RedState

So major gains in the House and Senate aren't enough. If they don't keep the Tea Party coalition intact and let them do the work--if they keep the old guard GOP in chairmanships--it will quickly revert to the status quo and we won't have moved any closer to the ideals we hope for.

This is going to be interesting to watch though.

he's right. I've been saying the same since Armey & Gingrich, then Palin tried to co-opt. Not going to happen. It's more like Tuesday was an intervention on the policies of the past 10 years in particular and the 20+ years before in general. I don't want to hear about Clinton surpluses or Reagan's cuts, neither were real.

Forum List

Back