Hoover Dam, A Symbol Of The Modern West, Faces An Epic Water Shortage

do you have any idea how much water is behind Hoover Dam? It would take decades to refill that lake with the drain of LV and the lower Colorado basin.
all I know is what I read in the papers

"Lake Mead's downward spiral is driven largely by the dire situation upstream at Lake Powell, which has declined to 34% of full capacity.

“We need three to four consecutive years of above-average inflow, snowpack runoff and inflow into Lake Powell to refill these reservoirs,” Bernardo says. “So that's what we're hoping for.”"
You are correct, Lake Powell is upstream of Lake Mead, on the east end of the Grand Canyon. It is backed up by Glen Canyon Dam in AZ. Of course, if Lake Mead and downstream from there need water, they are obligated to deliver it. Water science and diplomacy is very complicated. They have to take into account water contracts to MANY irrigation districts in S. CA and AZ and Mexico (Mexico is really getting hosed on these agreements). The biggest problems for these two lakes in particular is downstream over population in Las Vegas, CA and AZ.
Historically Nature compensates for drought by following with years of excess rain

If we dont panic and attempt crazy ideas such as a pipeline from the Pacific Ocean I’m hopeful things will even out over time

I've been going to and photographing Lake Mead and Hoover Dam since the mid 80s

At that time the line of white from decrease in water was already there for everyone to see and the state was already talking about water levels.

Through the years I've photographed the same areas many times. Each time there is less and less water. Each time I'm shocked at what I'm seeing and photographing. I photographed it last July. It was the worst conditions I've seen thus far at the lake.

That lake and system provides water to California, Arizona and Nevada.

They expect the lake to get to the low levels that cause shortages and conserving by August.

Somebody tell California et al that they can have some of the rain we're getting in Dallas. It's been at least 40 days of rain almost every day. Did Dallas move to the Amazon?

I'll be living here within 10 years. Fresh water galore.
View attachment 498527
Michigan is second only to California in the variety of agricultural products grown in the U.S. However, it does not rely on tapping ground water or diverting fresh water from surrounding states to do it.

If warming continues? :dunno:

. . . :heehee:

The battles over water management can get quite heated though. The folks on the left tend to want to create double standards. Nestle gets little to no charges for using water, which outrages many, but then, when you suggest that if they are charged, then Coke, big AG, municipalities, and the small farmers, the micro-breweries, and even the folks drawing from their wells would have to be charged too?

Well. . . then that tends to be, "different." So, I am not sure what will happen in the future.

. . . if it hadn't been for Nestle's free donations bailing Flint's butt out of the fire? That situation would have been VERY different indeed. . . but the MSM can't make big corporations ever look like the good guy.

Agriculture in California is the biggest water hog.
That's usage. Dana is talking about supply.

The supply will continue to decrease because of climate change.

While people still even deny it's happening.

ClimateisChanging.jpg

Maybe you should stop binge watching fear mongering propaganda........

China-Flag-MSNBC-CNN.jpg

Climate change is making these droughts much worse. These changes are here to stay until we take action to reverse using our atmosphere as a dumping ground for our CO2 emissions.

Is that also what is making DFW a tropical rainforest?

Climate change is making these droughts much worse. These changes are here to stay until we take action to reverse using our atmosphere as a dumping ground for our CO2 emissions.

You're going to tell the CCP to cut back, right?

At that time the line of white from decrease in water was already there for everyone to see and the state was already talking about water levels.

Through the years I've photographed the same areas many times. Each time there is less and less water. Each time I'm shocked at what I'm seeing and photographing. I photographed it last July. It was the worst conditions I've seen thus far at the lake.

They expect the lake to get to the low levels that cause shortages and conserving by August.

You mean, before Climate Change, there was no such thing as droughts? Interesting.

That's what the anti-science left wants you to believe.

These changes are here to stay until we take action to reverse
It's adorable that you think mankind can reverse the climate cycle. Even if all the nations united and could agree on a tactic, it's a childish fantasy for delusional narcissists.

maybe if we pushed the Earth further away from the Sun? Oh wait, the Sun has no impact on Climate, it's only CO2

nevermind

Agriculture in California is the biggest water hog.
Just drove thru the Central Valley yesterday.....trump, Devin Nunes and "Recall Newsome" territory while still crying about water and needing more dams.
it takes water to grow the food you eat.

sadly Newsome, Feinstein, etc have totally mismanaged the water in Cali.
How so? Name one thing they've done to mismanage the water in California. (only a ignorant outsider calls it "Cali")
Didn't you loons a few years back dumped millions of gallons of fresh water into the ocean to save a small fish?

Historically Nature compensates for drought by following with years of excess rain
If we dont panic and attempt crazy ideas such as a pipeline from the Pacific Ocean I’m hopeful things will even out over time
As if the left would let a temporary crisis go to waste in their unending march towards marxism.

do you have any idea how much water is behind Hoover Dam? It would take decades to refill that lake with the drain of LV and the lower Colorado basin.

"Lake Mead's downward spiral is driven largely by the dire situation upstream at Lake Powell, which has declined to 34% of full capacity.

“We need three to four consecutive years of above-average inflow, snowpack runoff and inflow into Lake Powell to refill these reservoirs,” Bernardo says. “So that's what we're hoping for.”"
You are correct, Lake Powell is upstream of Lake Mead, on the east end of the Grand Canyon. It is backed up by Glen Canyon Dam in AZ. Of course, if Lake Mead and downstream from there need water, they are obligated to deliver it. Water science and diplomacy is very complicated. They have to take into account water contracts to MANY irrigation districts in S. CA and AZ and Mexico (Mexico is really getting hosed on these agreements). The biggest problems for these two lakes in particular is downstream over population in Las Vegas, CA and AZ.

CA is on the Pacific Ocean--does it make more sense to build a pipeline from the Sacramento-San Joaquin delta to LA or from the Owens Valley to LA or from WA/OR to steal water from the Columbia R.? CA has either done these things or they are trying to do them in regards to the Columbia. Let CA access water from their own areas and pay the cost of living in the desert without water. Population centers should not be able to access water that does not come from their natural watershed.

But the fountains at the Belaggio are still running full blast and every tourist to LV has a glass of unused water on their tables. Build more houses in the desert. SMH.
And housing price in the Phoenix area have been going up since we emerged from the last bubble.

But the fountains at the Belaggio are still running full blast and every tourist to LV has a glass of unused water on their tables. Build more houses in the desert. SMH.
And housing price in the Phoenix area have been going up since we emerged from the last bubble.
And AZ and the Salt River Project continue to suck water from external watersheds.

CA is on the Pacific Ocean--does it make more sense to build a pipeline from the Sacramento-San Joaquin delta to LA or from the Owens Valley to LA or from WA/OR to steal water from the Columbia R.? CA has either done these things or they are trying to do them in regards to the Columbia. Let CA access water from their own areas and pay the cost of living in the desert without water. Population centers should not be able to access water that does not come from their natural watershed.
What some are advocating is a pipeline from the Pacific to Lake Mead and thats what I was referring to

What some are advocating is a pipeline from the Pacific to Lake Mead and thats what I was referring to
That (pipeline from Pacific) is really STUPID.

Growing up in Germany I watched documentaries about Hoover dam, the underlying message of engineering marvel would instill awe into the viewer.
Today, such news about Hoover dam just reinforces general view of American decline.

Growing up in Germany I watched documentaries about Hoover dam, the underlying message of engineering marvel would instill awe into the viewer.
Today, such news about Hoover dam just reinforces general view of American decline.
Worse yet, are the enviromental nut cases who are clamoring for the removal of these "renewable" energy sources. They would have a field day if they were to hold China to the same standards.

Forum List

Back