Hoover Dam, A Symbol Of The Modern West, Faces An Epic Water Shortage

Dana7360

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2014
I've been going to and photographing Lake Mead and Hoover Dam since the mid 80s

At that time the line of white from decrease in water was already there for everyone to see and the state was already talking about water levels.

Through the years I've photographed the same areas many times. Each time there is less and less water. Each time I'm shocked at what I'm seeing and photographing. I photographed it last July. It was the worst conditions I've seen thus far at the lake.

That lake and system provides water to California, Arizona and Nevada.

They expect the lake to get to the low levels that cause shortages and conserving by August.

Climate change is making these droughts much worse. These changes are here to stay until we take action to reverse using our atmosphere as a dumping ground for our CO2 emissions.

We were out that way a few years ago and were amazed at how low the water level to the Hoover Dam was.

I'll bet is was an east 60 feet or so.

Mrs Clean had a question for the tour guide, she asked what happens when the water gets too low to run the turbines.

Climate change is making these droughts much worse. These changes are here to stay until we take action to reverse using our atmosphere as a dumping ground for our CO2 emissions.

Actually, no, it isn't. California had several massive droughts as studies shave shown.

Through studies of tree rings, sediment and other natural evidence, researchers have documented multiple droughts in California that lasted 10 or 20 years in a row during the past 1,000 years — compared to the mere three-year duration of the current dry spell. The two most severe megadroughts make the Dust Bowl of the 1930s look tame: a 240-year-long drought that started in 850 and, 50 years after the conclusion of that one, another that stretched at least 180 years.

At that time the line of white from decrease in water was already there for everyone to see and the state was already talking about water levels.

Through the years I've photographed the same areas many times. Each time there is less and less water. Each time I'm shocked at what I'm seeing and photographing. I photographed it last July. It was the worst conditions I've seen thus far at the lake.

They expect the lake to get to the low levels that cause shortages and conserving by August.

Is it Trump's fault? :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg:

But the fountains at the Belaggio are still running full blast and every tourist to LV has a glass of unused water on their tables. Build more houses in the desert. SMH.

We had no need for the Hoover Dam when it was built. It was just a make-work project. Then when WWII came, it was the only reason we were able to defeat Japan as quickly as we did. Even the Japanese were shocked at how fast we could turn out ships and planes. The excess electric generating capacity of the HD is the only reason we could.

Wow, are people finally learning what happens when you increase population massively without doing anything about water storage infrastructure? You'd think the "experts" in charge would have thought about that at some point in the last 30 years.

Living / farming in the dessert takes water.

Way to dewater the colorado river.

The end game is no water.

It ain't coming back.

You mean, before Climate Change, there was no such thing as droughts? Interesting.

Nope.

Hoover dam is built on the Colorado river and that river has been tapped so much for water over the years that it has less and less water as it goes south.

It's a well known and documented fact that predates "oh my god climate change is the boogey man for everything". It once reached the ocean dumping tons of water into it, but over time tributaries to it have been diverted, dams setup for hydro electricity, water diverted for communities and so on.

Basically man takes away so much water from the river that it isn't what it should be.

Climate change doesn't have shit to do with it. That's just a dumb and lazy answer used for everything. I mean the vice president even said climate change is the reason why illegals are flooding our borders.

Hoover Dam Faces An Epic Water Shortage​

Through the years I've photographed the same areas many times. Each time there is less and less water.

Too funny. Just last year I pointed out the dwindling supply of water from the Colorado River for Californians to devour and a Californian here mocked me saying water was no object there despite constant water orders there limiting supply and usage.

Forum List

Back