Hooray for the surveilance state

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
Manhunt in Boston: Hooray for the surveillance state? - The Week

. Civil libertarians may be uncomfortable with this, but the authorities accomplished this feat of investigation largely through the magic of surveillance cameras.

The FBI and other law enforcement officials identified the two suspects by poring through gigabytes of images from the closed-circuit TV cameras in the area before and after the twin explosions — both those set up by the city of Boston and private cameras — and photos and videos sent in from spectators and marathon runners with smartphones and cameras. And the final manhunt started when surveillance cameras caught Dzhokhar Tzarnaev at a Cambridge 7-Eleven.

The FBI wasn't the only group trying to identify the perpetrators. The sometimes-sketchy web vigilantes at 4chan and contributors to Reddit launched efforts of their own, in one case scaring up a new, clear photo of Dzhokhar leaving the scene. The Tzarnaev brothers "shouldn't be surprised that surveillance cameras turned out to be their undoing," says Farhad Manjoo at Slate. "And neither should you."

Last edited:
So many crimes now are either solved or aided in investigation by surveillance cameras.

You ever watch that show "The First 48" where they follow detectives at homicide scenes? First thing they do when arriving is start looking up at nearby buildings.

That guy definitely helped, but it is my understanding they actually found video of dude putting the backpack down near site #2 then walking away. That was a pretty real lead as well.

The one misleading thing that you see in high-tech hollywood movies, is the fantasy that the government can hack into any camera anywhere as if every security camera is patch into a network. Most security cameras connected to DVR that can capture/store raw video.

Some highway traffic cameras are on an open network so media and commuters can check traffic. But city street cameras and traffic light cameras are not usually on a network.

But congrats to the FBI and Boston Police for all that they've don to bring these men to justice.

Manhunt in Boston: Hooray for the surveillance state? - The Week

. Civil libertarians may be uncomfortable with this, but the authorities accomplished this feat of investigation largely through the magic of surveillance cameras.

The FBI and other law enforcement officials identified the two suspects by poring through gigabytes of images from the closed-circuit TV cameras in the area before and after the twin explosions — both those set up by the city of Boston and private cameras — and photos and videos sent in from spectators and marathon runners with smartphones and cameras. And the final manhunt started when surveillance cameras caught Dzhokhar Tzarnaev at a Cambridge 7-Eleven.

The FBI wasn't the only group trying to identify the perpetrators. The sometimes-sketchy web vigilantes at 4chan and contributors to Reddit launched efforts of their own, in one case scaring up a new, clear photo of Dzhokhar leaving the scene. The Tzarnaev brothers "shouldn't be surprised that surveillance cameras turned out to be their undoing," says Farhad Manjoo at Slate. "And neither should you."

Surveillance cameras in public places are not an intrusion on our privacy, and I really don't think we should be all too worried about big brother keeping an eye on us in open public places.

The one misleading thing that you see in high-tech hollywood movies, is the fantasy that the government can hack into any camera anywhere as if every security camera is patch into a network. Most security cameras connected to DVR that can capture/store raw video.

Some highway traffic cameras are on an open network so media and commuters can check traffic. But city street cameras and traffic light cameras are not usually on a network.

But congrats to the FBI and Boston Police for all that they've don to bring these men to justice.

While that is somewhat true, many camera systems, even in private businesses can now be hacked into with or without the approval of the business. The cameras where I work can be watched remotely via the Internet by many people at various locations. This gives security people access to what is going on 24/7.

And, from the other side of the same question, our freedom makes it possible to get directions for making a pressure cooker bomb from the internet.

Yesterday morning at a few minutes before 6, I ran over a metal ramp ( the kind that landscape companies use to load mowers on trailers ) at about 40 mph as I passed through an intersection with "red light cameras" installed.

The fucking thing tore a hole in my transmission pan. I was put out of commission for half the day and in the hole $500 for the repair.

I called the DOT looking for info on the asshole that dropped his ramps and left them there. I was told that " those cameras are not used for recording video ". Apparently, they just snap a pic if someone runs the red.

This afternoon, I went door to door asking every business in the area if they had any security cameras that captured the roadway. FUCKING ZERO!

The moral of this story? If you are a dickhead landscaper, you can drop your ramps in the middle of the road and Big Brother ain't gonna give a shit.

The security industrial complex will use this and rile up the right wingers to demand more billions be spent keeping us 'safe' safe like the people at the finish line in Boston

But they haven't yet brought them to justice, one is still on the loose.

But they haven't yet brought them to justice, one is still on the loose.

Won't be long...he is 19 and running scared

No place to hide

We have no reasonable expectation of privacy in public. There is no difference between a camera on a street corner and a cop on a street corner.

Privacy in your home, on your person or your personal property, yes. Out in public, no.

And yes, kudos to the cops and the feds for getting to these maniacs.

Everywhere you go there are security cameras. Add the millions of people with camera phones and it is hard to escape being recorded

Cameras are a bigger deterrent to crime than guns

Still stuck in the 1980s, I see. :cuckoo:

We have no reasonable expectation of privacy in public. There is no difference between a camera on a street corner and a cop on a street corner.

Privacy in your home, on your person or your personal property, yes. Out in public, no.

And yes, kudos to the cops and the feds for getting to these maniacs.

Cuckoo :cuckoo: Of course there is. In a court of law there is no difference when bringing in evidence, but to suggest there is no difference is to be naive, ignorant, foolish, and demented

Everywhere you go there are security cameras. Add the millions of people with camera phones and it is hard to escape being recorded

Really? Crime goes down in areas where cameras are. Does all crime go down? What kinds of crime? How far down? Cameras do not make people behave and think better.

Really? Crime goes down in areas where cameras are. Does all crime go down? What kinds of crime? How far down? Cameras do not make people behave and think better.

Yes...I see it every night on the evening news

Here is video of the suspect.....and he is captured a day or two later

What I rarely see is....."an armed citizen stopped the crime"

Forum List

Back